Please tell me what you hear

tropo

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Your mind is already tainted. You know I live in Pattaya where there are hundreds of gogo bars. You know how Thai people pronounce gogo. I don't hear gogo, certainly not the way English people pronounce it. For example, if she was in NYC and said that to someone who has never been to Thailand or had experience with Thai people, what would they hear?

Just asked a Thai speaker who does not know you or anything about this clip. She said exactly the same thing. My mind is not tainted.. its what was said. She did not read this topic. I just asked her to listen and tell me what she heard. 

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

Your mind is already tainted. You know I live in Pattaya where there are hundreds of gogo bars. You know how Thai people pronounce gogo. I don't hear gogo, certainly not the way English people pronounce it. For example, if she was in NYC and said that to someone who has never been to Thailand or had experience with Thai people, what would they hear?

I asked some Thais what they heard, they all said 'He wife work a go go' , I told them some falang hear something different, one replied: "Maybe they English not strong".

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just asked a Thai speaker who does not know you or anything about this clip. She said exactly the same thing. My mind is not tainted.. its what was said. She did not read this topic. I just asked her to listen and tell me what she heard. 

You totally misunderstood me. I'm not interested in what Thai speakers hear. That's irrelevant because she was talking to 3 English speakers. If you read my last post more carefully you should understand what I'm talking about.

8 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I asked some Thais what they heard, they all said 'He wife work a go go' , I told them some falang hear something different, one replied: "Maybe they English not strong".

Please read my post #30 again - I'm not interested in what Thai people hear. I know what they hear.

12 minutes ago, Allstars said:

That should tell you something, as there are now more than 25 comments, and they all seem to hear more or less the same and so do I.

That's why I used the word "surprisingly". There are other people who hear what I hear, but not on this thread so far.

The only reason I opened this thread in the first place is to see how many people hear what I hear. I've put it on a sound analyser and slowed it down too, so I'm well aware of the sounds she uttered.

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

What is the point.. you asked what was said.. that is what was said. Confirmed by me.. and a Thai speaker and many others on here. 

I guess its just not the answer you want. 

(and no not suggesting your wife works in a go go bar)

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

I've put it on a sound analyser and slowed it down too, so I'm well aware of the sounds she uttered.

I did the same: 'He wife work a go go'  ..plain as day!

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

Please read my post #30 again - I'm not interested in what Thai people hear. I know what they hear.

You seem to be in some kind of weird denial, so only interested in replies from groups that confirm what you already think.

More about this phenomena here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

The problem is that once you have heard "He wife work a go-go" it's almost impossible to hear anything else. In fact, every time you listen you are more convinced.

I suspect that, if the OP had told us his version at the start, we would all be hearing the same.

Serious examples and worth a listen ... although it is a comedy show. If you don't watch the whole thing, just watch at 3:45  "I believe that the hot dogs go on".

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The problem is that once you have heard "He wife work a go-go" it's almost impossible to hear anything else. In fact, every time you listen you are more convinced.

I suspect that, if the OP had told us his version at the start, we would all be hearing the same.

Serious examples and worth a listen ... although it is a comedy show. If you don't watch the whole thing, just watch at 3:45  "I believe that the hot dogs go on".

Yea.. but i asked others before telling them what I heard.. they said the same. So sure it applies after you hear something but not the first time. 

Also the same goes for the OP he can have misheard and have the same problem.

But given that this was said by a Thai are we as people in Thailand and Thais far more qualified to say what is said then someone from an other country. Its not about what is heard.. but what is SAID. 

Just now, kkerry said:

I hear 'coco' but I can almost hear Home Pro. As for go go, I understand why everyone can hear that but that doesn't sound quite right to my ear.

Really wonder what sound system you have, because on mine its quite clear and I got top of the line. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Really wonder what sound system you have, because on mine its quite clear and I got top of the line. 

Tropo, you can close the thread now. Rob has a top of the line something and has thus adjudicated...  :) 

Depending on the English language capabilities of the speaker and if she is saying at rather than a, then if it was a go-go, I would expect her to say his wife work go-go rather than his wife work at go-go. By saying at it suggests to me she may be saying the name of a workplace rather than the type of work place.

13 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Tropo, you can close the thread now. Rob has a top of the line something and has thus adjudicated...  :) 

Depending on the English language capabilities of the speaker and if she is saying at rather than a, then if it was a go-go, I would expect her to say his wife work go-go rather than his wife work at go-go. By saying at it suggests to me she may be saying the name of a workplace rather than the type of work place.

Your comment would qualify if she actually said AT, but what she says is He wife work Agogo.

Never heard a Thai with mediocre English language skills say AT in all me years in Thailand by the way

47 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

whatever your wish, it would seem you are in the minority and arent getting the validation you require.

its either a gogo or at coco. 

that isnt going to change without proper context which you refuse to provide.

No, there are other possibilities. Context is irrelevant, as that would lead people on. What I should have done is take out some of the leading words to eliminate context.

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea.. but i asked others before telling them what I heard.. they said the same. So sure it applies after you hear something but not the first time. 

Also the same goes for the OP he can have misheard and have the same problem.

But given that this was said by a Thai are we as people in Thailand and Thais far more qualified to say what is said then someone from an other country. Its not about what is heard.. but what is SAID. 

No, this is as much about what is heard as about what was intended to be said.

When I said your mind is tainted in this, I meant you speak Thai, you spend most of your day talking to Thais and you have Thai partners. You're also quite familiar with agogo bars. I, on the other hand, don't speak Thai and spend very little time conversing with Thais other than the ones I meet in the activity of shopping around town. I don't hear things the same way as you hear them. I should have eliminated the "he wife work" from the sound bite.

I'm asking the wrong people here as most people here are well acquainted with the accent of Thai people speaking English. I need to get on an English speaking forum unrelated to Thailand.

Thanks to all the people who responded here. There's no need to argue about what different people hear. They hear what they hear. In fact, some people will be scared to offer a different opinion because too many members are sarcastic and jump down people's throats if their opinion differs.

1 hour ago, onthesoi said:

I did the same: 'He wife work a go go'  ..plain as day!

You seem to be in some kind of weird denial, so only interested in replies from groups that confirm what you already think.

More about this phenomena here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

There's no need to be rude....

As I said, I'm well aware of what many people hear, and thank you for mentioning what you hear. I have never said I'm not interested in what people hear. Quite on the contrary - I'm very interested.

All I said was I don't hear it, and I'm not the only one. By saying that I'm not suggesting you have a problem. 

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

No, this is as much about what is heard as about what was intended to be said.

When I said your mind is tainted in this, I meant you speak Thai, you spend most of your day talking to Thais and you have Thai partners. You're also quite familiar with agogo bars. I, on the other hand, don't speak Thai and spend very little time conversing with Thais other than the ones I meet in the activity of shopping around town. I don't hear things the same way as you hear them. I should have eliminated the "he wife work" from the sound bite.

I'm asking the wrong people here as most people here are well acquainted with the accent of Thai people speaking English. I need to get on an English speaking forum unrelated to Thailand.

Thanks to all the people who responded here. There's no need to argue about what different people hear. They hear what they hear. In fact, some people will be scared to offer a different opinion because too many members are sarcastic and jump down people's throats if their opinion differs.

No I disagree, we got a Thai speaker here speaking English those who know bests are those of us who come in contact with them. As for me familiar with agogo bars, I would say even less so then you. There are none here and I have no interests IN P4P. 

If you have a Dutch guy speaking, who better to understand them then other Dutch guys.. same goes for Australians... picking  up slang from Australians. Its about what is said.. not what they intended to say or what people think they hear. 

Lets agree to disagree and given its your OP fair play to you.

43 minutes ago, kkerry said:

I don't know about you but if you play this on your phone or on some cheap speakers or on a high end set.. how clear it is and what you hear will differ a lot.  It also depends what your system is set for (there are settings for movies / classical music / rock / and others) So IMHO it really depends on what you play it on. 

Thais call it Agogo  not at go go.  

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

No I disagree, we got a Thai speaker here speaking English those who know bests are those of us who come in contact with them. As for me familiar with agogo bars, I would say even less so then you. There are none here and I have no interests IN P4P. 

If you have a Dutch guy speaking, who better to understand them then other Dutch guys.. same goes for Australians... picking  up slang from Australians. Its about what is said.. not what they intended to say or what people think they hear. 

Lets agree to disagree and given its your OP fair play to you.

Disagree with that? I've made many points.

I don't know how to get my point across to you today as it seems you're being deliberately obtuse. It's not about who knows best. It's merely about what people hear.

There is no right or wrong in this. People hear what they hear. I merely wanted to know what other people hear. That's the reason I started this thread - to get a general consensus.  

I haven't provided context on purpose, as I didn't want to lead people to hear words based on context. In hindsight, I should have provided just the one word.

Archived