Quick report - Savannakhet non-O multi

9 hours ago, sabai5 said:

Thank you for the report.  I will be there on Wednesday for my first non-O visa and hope everything goes as smoothly as your trip. 

Just have all of your documents and you should be fine.  The people that I saw getting tripped up all had something missing from their documents.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Savannakhet does not ask for financial proof to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

Marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card is all that is required.

Thanks Urbonjoe.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the report, will be doing a similar run as yourself in a few months time. Reassuring to read that as much as things have changed and continue to change, the non-O process and requirements remain the same at Savanakhet. With all the arbitrary case by case requirements, complications and corruption that seem to be rife at many internal immigration offices, doing the non-O  multi seems to be a more sensible way of doing your long term stays .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, calbear09 said:

To the OP - do you have to do this every 90 days? Even if married to a Thai national, you have to do this every 90 days? (Just trying to get an idea of how everything works).

No, you do it once every 15 months. Once you have the visa, you will need to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days, though.

I have done the same trip twice now, and it's painless and easy as long as you have the right documents. Savannakhet is a very sleepy little town with not much to do, but for one night every year or so it's fine. 

Edited by Bardeh

What is mostly missing from these types of reports is the total cost.  For instance, do you live nearby or did you travel from another province—what was the cost involved with that.  Also you mentioned you had to remain overnight, so I'm guessing you had to pay for hotel, food and maybe even entertainment for one night plus breakfast and lunch the next day.  Then there is the return trip to wherever you actually reside in Thailand.  Not to mention the boarder hop cost every 90 days for the next 15 months.  All of this is relevant to making a decision as to whether to get a Multi-entry or to just go for a straight one year extension.  A person's age and financial position weighs heavily on this also, but providing some additional insight would be helpful.  Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.  

Edited by mosan

Hotels are cheap, but generally quite basic. You can get a clean room with aircon for around 600 baht a night. I went to the Avalon residence last time I was in Savannakhet, which had friendly staff, a little bar attached, and clean but bare rooms. It's only a 5 minute walk from the consulate. Food is similarly priced to Thailand if you want to eat local, although there are some decent coffee shops in town that serve more expensive dishes.

From Chiang Rai I fly to BKK and then to Nakhon Phanom where you get a 45 minute minibus to Mukdahan. You could save a few baht by taking a bus from Bangkok, but I would rather spend a bit more and not have to deal with that. These flights are around 1300-1500 each. The visa cost is 5000. I would say that, all-in, I generally spend around 15000 baht including visa fee. That's perfectly acceptable to me for a hassle-free visa experience.

Edited by Bardeh

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Savannakhet does not ask for financial proof to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

Marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card is all that is required.

After my first year here I was seriously thinking about going to Savannakhet for a new non-o visa but I am SO GLAD that I got the extensions instead it's so much easier to live here on extensions.  

Guys how does stamping work here? After visa has been issued and you re-enter to Thailand you'll get a 90 day entry stamp. What happens if say after a week you need to hop abroad for a couple of days? Will you get another 90 day stamp upon arrival again? Thanks.

Yes, you can leave and re-enter as often as you like. Every time you re-enter you get a fresh 90 day stamp. This is how you squeeze 15 months out of the visa - exit and re-enter Thailand on the last valid day, and you'll get another 90 day stamp.

Edited by Bardeh

It looks like all the other commenters answered all of the questions. :smile:

For my situation, the visa works better than an extension.  I travel frequently. so I get a new 90 days whenever I come back.  Plus, I don't like that each immigration office seems to run by their own rules, so the hassle factor definitely comes into play here.