How is Pattaya for cycling?

Hal65

Are there any good bike paths? Beach road seems to have too much foot traffic, and most other roads are not made for bikes. I've been thinking of doing some cycling on the East side of town or maybe Jomtien.

PS: Also looking for an idea of costs for a decent comfort/hybrid bike.

There are plenty of good rides around Pattaya, personally I keep out of the bright side of Pattaya when Im on my Hybrid  Giant escape bike.

You only need to cross Sukhumvit road onto the Darkside, go down the railway byepass road in any direction and you will then meet less traffic and quieter more rural roads leading to Lake Mabrachan, Hui Hai and a thousand lovely, rural and quiet roads.

If you look on FB, in Pattaya groups you will see the "Monkey " extreme cycle club which meets I think three times a week for road and  MTB bike rides, they have a day for road bikes and plenty of tarmac miles and a day for the jungle tracks on MTBs

The policy of the Monkeys riders is only to go as fast as the slowest rider

If you need a contact then PM me

Being over 70 and not liking the Sun too much I go with two friends of a similar age, starting 5 0 am in the morning   on rides down Sukhumvit to Bansare beach, then Eastwards past Phoenix golf course, through Huai Wai and up to Bira circuit then around lake mabrachan and then home to Soi Khao noi.

Occasionally we ride to a little known  but fantastic beach  for a swim and a picnic (we meet the wives who have driven down) at the end of the 331 road near the Thai naval dockyard .

I have just bought a new Giant escape 29er Hybrid, which I am totally delighted with from the bestbikeshop Khon Kaen.

It was on offer at 11500 Baht

Works beautifully and crisp, only needed to change the seat which was a bit to comfortable for me 

If you want a chat or meet up then please PM me 

IMG_1018.JPG

20170212_063756.jpg

20170129_085723.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/14/2017 at 7:45 AM, n210mp said:

There are plenty of good rides around Pattaya, personally I keep out of the bright side of Pattaya when Im on my Hybrid  Giant escape bike.

You only need to cross Sukhumvit road onto the Darkside, go down the railway byepass road in any direction and you will then meet less traffic and quieter more rural roads leading to Lake Mabrachan, Hui Hai and a thousand lovely, rural and quiet roads.

If you look on FB, in Pattaya groups you will see the "Monkey " extreme cycle club which meets I think three times a week for road and  MTB bike rides, they have a day for road bikes and plenty of tarmac miles and a day for the jungle tracks on MTBs

Being over 70 and not liking the Sun too much I go with two friends of a similar age, starting 5 0 am in the morning   on rides down Sukhumvit to Bansare beach, then Eastwards past Phoenix golf course, through Huai Wai and up to Bira circuit then around lake mabrachan and then home to Soi Khao noi.

Occasionally we ride to a little known  but fantastic beach  for a swim and a picnic (we meet the wives who have driven down) at the end of the 331 road near the Thai naval dockyard .

I have just bought a new Giant escape 29er Hybrid, which I am totally delighted with from the bestbikeshop Khon Kaen.

Works beautifully and crisp, only needed to change the seat which was a bit to comfortable for me 

IMG_1018.JPG

20170212_063756.jpg

20170129_085723.jpg

Good for you, driving such distance. Many people half your age would not be able to cover those distances.

Bicycling is fine , just be cautious always and use your mirrors .   A bicycle without mirrors is a death trap so I installed both on my left and right side.  Yes you need to look in the mirrors every 10 seconds or so if there are a lot of traffic and crazy drivers . 

I only stick to Jomtien beach Rd and some of the smaller sois , far away from Sukhumvit .  

I see brave cyclists in the midst of the traffic  in central Pattaya and groups of them riding up the railway line bypass rd. Not for me as too dangerous with the way cars drive and loose dogs are everywhere.

On 14/02/2017 at 7:45 AM, n210mp said:

IMG_1018.JPG

20170212_063756.jpg

20170129_085723.jpg

Nice to see you getting out and about...oldies rock. 

45 minutes ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

This my new bike, a Santa Cruz Blur TRc... i prefer the trails more than roads, but i have a roadie as well.

IMG_2115.JPG

Nice bike but no mirrors ?   Be careful , first thing you should do is to get mirrors on both sides. 

Nice bike but no mirrors ?   Be careful , first thing you should do is to get mirrors on both sides. 

Rubbish, any competent cyclist does not need mirrors, they also end up making your bike wider, less maneuverable and less stable with the additional weight on your barends.

Also, why would you have a use for mirrors on the trail anyway?

28 minutes ago, moonoi said:

Rubbish, any competent cyclist does not need mirrors, they also end up making your bike wider, less maneuverable and less stable with the additional weight on your barends.

Also, why would you have a use for mirrors on the trail anyway?

I'm guessing that in the context of "How is Pattaya for cycling?", n210mp assumed the OP would be riding on the streets of Pattaya.

We none of us need mirrors, but I find that looking too much over my shoulder affects my steering, and a lot of people believe that knowing what is behind you can allow you to drive more safely in traffic.  

N210mp's mirrors don't seem to stick that far beyond his handlebars, and I'm sure don't make the handlebars much more difficult to turn.  Like myself, he carries a fair amount of ballast to offset the few ounces that his mirrors weigh.  I don't think he's an all-out performance racer.

SC

Far more useful than mirrors in a high traffic environment is Garmins Varia Radar, which is what I use occasionally on the roads of Bangkok.

Funnily enough the most dangerous place I've ridden is the Skylane around the airport, full of idiots thinking they're safe because there aren't any cars, so don't take any basic safety precautions like checking it's clear before pulling out.

2 hours ago, moonoi said:

Far more useful than mirrors in a high traffic environment is Garmins Varia Radar, which is what I use occasionally on the roads of Bangkok.

Funnily enough the most dangerous place I've ridden is the Skylane around the airport, full of idiots thinking they're safe because there aren't any cars, so don't take any basic safety precautions like checking it's clear before pulling out.

Fair point.

I was leading on Sunday, and I belatedly slowed down for a car to pass, rather than squeezing into the verge alongside it.  The inexperienced cyclist behind had not been expecting me to slow down, and slammed on her brakes, taking a tumble, and the bloke behind her slammed on his brakes to avoid running over her, and had to dismount quickly with one hand on the road,

SC

Having been a driver all of my life and actually driving the farm tractor since I was ten years old has made me use mirrors as instinctively as breathing.

Not being of the "elite"  group of "racing on a public road"  type of Idiot / cyclist with  uncommunicative noses  in  the air, as evidenced by their silent and deadly overtaking procedures , these immature  speed freaks who seem oblivious to all those other users of the road by their inane and obsessive  need to ride in a group that however small  dictates to them that they must ride line abreast and ergo alienating all  those whom they delay by their selfish antics 

I object to any idea  (Usually coming from a member of this latter type of group) that to use mirrors on a bike on a main road especially in Thailand  is insane, impractical and must be  somehow either beneath the detractors  dignity  or somehow injurious to their need for speed, performance or low self esteem.

Further,  that they are suffering from a delusion that they are  not on a busy and dangerous  multi use Highway in one of the most chaotic parts of the world  but that they are competitors  on a cordoned off, highly marshalled stretch of the tour de France.

Not to use a mirror is not only crazy it could be suicidal and any of those belonging to the group above whom I have the misfortune to encounter most days when riding can do what they want to do but for those like me who only came into riding a bike in their late lives and are not part of the "Elite" need all the help they can get and mirrors are  an essential aid where you only need to turn your eyes to look back and not your head and body.

Having been a driver all of my life and actually driving the farm tractor since I was ten years old has made me use mirrors as instinctively as breathing.

Not being of the "elite"  group of "racing on a public road"  type of Idiot / cyclist with  uncommunicative noses  in  the air, as evidenced by their silent and deadly overtaking procedures , these immature  speed freaks who seem oblivious to all those other users of the road by their inane and obsessive  need to ride in a group that however small  dictates to them that they must ride line abreast and ergo alienating all  those whom they delay by their selfish antics 

I object to any idea  (Usually coming from a member of this latter type of group) that to use mirrors on a bike on a main road especially in Thailand  is insane, impractical and must be  somehow either beneath the detractors  dignity  or somehow injurious to their need for speed, performance or low self esteem.

Further,  that they are suffering from a delusion that they are  not on a busy and dangerous  multi use Highway in one of the most chaotic parts of the world  but that they are competitors  on a cordoned off, highly marshalled stretch of the tour de France.

Not to use a mirror is not only crazy it could be suicidal and any of those belonging to the group above whom I have the misfortune to encounter most days when riding can do what they want to do but for those like me who only came into riding a bike in their late lives and are not part of the "Elite" need all the help they can get and mirrors are  an essential aid where you only need to turn your eyes to look back and not your head and body.

Sorry but you're the one with the holier than thou attitude here. I suspect you've never once ridden with or spoken to any of those cyclist you disparage, and so are clueless yourself.

Mirrors are not an essential aid, by all means use them if you think you need them, but seriously if you're unable to turn your head to check everything is clear behind you (and even riding a motorcycle they teach you to do this also) then I'm sorry to say, you shouldn't be riding a bike, as you're a danger to yourself and others on the road.

It's also clear that you don't understand why cyclists ride 2 abreast in groups, and why this is also safer for both other road users and cyclists.

Suggest you really should look these things up, before spouting your uninformed nonsense.

46 minutes ago, moonoi said:

Sorry but you're the one with the holier than thou attitude here. I suspect you've never once ridden with or spoken to any of those cyclist you disparage, and so are clueless yourself.

Mirrors are not an essential aid, by all means use them if you think you need them, but seriously if you're unable to turn your head to check everything is clear behind you (and even riding a motorcycle they teach you to do this also) then I'm sorry to say, you shouldn't be riding a bike, as you're a danger to yourself and others on the road.

It's also clear that you don't understand why cyclists ride 2 abreast in groups, and why this is also safer for both other road users and cyclists.

Suggest you really should look these things up, before spouting your uninformed nonsense.

I stand bye all that I have said and you are the one with the  attitude and the problem.

I dont intend to Pee against the wind by getting into an argument with you but after ten years of cycling in Thailand with the last six of them in  Pattaya and  surrounds I think I know what I am talking about and made what I thought were sensible remarks about the lack of consideration by many of those you seek to defend and the imbecilic talk about not using a sensible tool like a rear view mirror especially for those like me who are not able to contort on a bike to have a look around   .  (Of course with your selfish and tunnel visioned approach to the sport you would consign us Oldies  to the rocking chair or indeed the old folks home)

You are the one that mentioned "Attitude" , I dont have any until someone like you winds me up!

I have many friends who ride road bikes  and indeed I am also a member of a group but none of my friends in these groups have your single minded attitude to the extent of disparaging and rubbishing another point of view .

Just one final comment from me on riding two abreast especially in Thailand , It doesn't work as a safety precaution becasue by and large the  majority of Thai drivers will still give way to you whether you are two abreast or a singleton.

However,  I,  as you are well aware was not talking about two abreast, I was talking bout 3/4 abreast and in a gaggle of plus 5/10 riders doing upwards of 30KPH  that Thai or otherwise drivers find it difficult to pass causing drivers to become frustrated and ergo taking  unnecessary risks.

These  as you well understood were the types of riders I was referring to and whose  arrogance only surpass yours for ignoring the salient and sensible points I made  and  logically understanding that there is a point of view other that yours 

In my remarks I "generalised" accepting that there are those who do things right and those who dont  but I didnt get personal accepting that this thread has turned into a debate. 

In making personal remarks about me  you resort to the last possible position of those with no argument to offer so please place me on your ignore as I do not wish to either debate or in  your case  try to educate you  any further.

You think that's a personal attack? If you feel so that means that you read more in to my comment than was there.

You are the one that insists that your view is the correct view, and are unwilling to accept that of others.

I've been riding over 12 years in Thailand, and have never come across anyone riding 3/4 abreast, in Bangkok, Pattaya, Rayong and Hua Hin, except on the Skylane around the airport.

I don't accept a mirror is a necessary safety requirement as I've never encountered a situation where having one would improve my safety. But I did state if you want to use one then by all means, I also suggested a far superior alternative (Garmin Varia) that doesn't have blind spots that a mirror has, that would seem to be perfect for someone like you that isn't as flexible as they once were. It even shows you how fast vehicles are approaching, and how many and I use one combined with a Garmin 820. You didn't comment on that.

And as I sign off on this you are the one that accuse others that don't use mirrors as being insane, not me, I just disagree with you that they are necessary in Thailand.

You don't know any better than me or anyone else, you have your own opinion that you're trying to force on others, and don't accept anyone that doesn't agree.

I'm not childish enough to need to block or ignore others just because they have an opposing view to mine. So In fact that is real last resort of someone who has no real argument to offer to defend their position. This is further reinforced by the fact you claim to be trying to educate me, you never were trying to debate.

Still next time I'm in Pattaya, I'd love to ride with you, I'm not what or who you think, I just happen to not agree with your stance. I'll even buy you a coffee (or beverage of your own choice, post ride).

And if not, I'm sorry for any offense you may have taken, but really you need to calm down, this is just an Internet forum full of different views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, n210mp said:

I stand bye all that I have said and you are the one with the  attitude and the problem.

I dont intend to Pee against the wind by getting into an argument with you but after ten years of cycling in Thailand with the last six of them in  Pattaya and  surrounds I think I know what I am talking about and made what I thought were sensible remarks about the lack of consideration by many of those you seek to defend and the imbecilic talk about not using a sensible tool like a rear view mirror especially for those like me who are not able to contort on a bike to have a look around   .  (Of course with your selfish and tunnel visioned approach to the sport you would consign us Oldies  to the rocking chair or indeed the old folks home)

You are the one that mentioned "Attitude" , I dont have any until someone like you winds me up!

I have many friends who ride road bikes  and indeed I am also a member of a group but none of my friends in these groups have your single minded attitude to the extent of disparaging and rubbishing another point of view .

Just one final comment from me on riding two abreast especially in Thailand , It doesn't work as a safety precaution becasue by and large the  majority of Thai drivers will still give way to you whether you are two abreast or a singleton.

However,  I,  as you are well aware was not talking about two abreast, I was talking bout 3/4 abreast and in a gaggle of plus 5/10 riders doing upwards of 30KPH  that Thai or otherwise drivers find it difficult to pass causing drivers to become frustrated and ergo taking  unnecessary risks.

These  as you well understood were the types of riders I was referring to and whose  arrogance only surpass yours for ignoring the salient and sensible points I made  and  logically understanding that there is a point of view other that yours 

In my remarks I "generalised" accepting that there are those who do things right and those who dont  but I didnt get personal accepting that this thread has turned into a debate. 

In making personal remarks about me  you resort to the last possible position of those with no argument to offer so please place me on your ignore as I do not wish to either debate or in  your case  try to educate you  any further.

n210mp,

I have no wish to wind you up, and think it is great that you are getting out and exercising on your bike. I understand you wish to use mirrors and recommend that others do the same. Fine.

I've had a read of this thread and the to and fro with Moonoi. I don't know either of you, and really couldn't care about your little spat, but would be happy to join either sometime for a ride!

[But, please relax a little and try to be less personal and more objective; one example...

Referencing: "need to ride in a group that however small  dictates to them that they must ride line abreast "

somehow became:

"However,  I,  as you are well aware was not talking about two abreast, I was talking bout 3/4 abreast and in a gaggle of plus 5/10 riders doing upwards of 30KPH" ] ???

No offence taken and would love to have a ride with you. I do occasionally  try to "warm up a debate " just to exercise the old grey matter.

Your polite and conciliatory tone suggest that I have failed in this attempt at debating supremacy and there I therefore "fold" 

Please forgive an "old stirrer " who on this occasion has been outwitted and also outgunned!

Edit for Bobfish

I think I answered Moonoi at the same time you posted and have covered your point in that post.

9 hours ago, n210mp said:

I've ridden with groups of up to 20 in Pattaya (mostly farang) and regularly ride with groups of 40-75 in Chiang Mai (95% Thai). We never ride more than two abreast. Yes, when the lead rider is dropping back for a moment we might be 3 abreast, but that only takes a couple of seconds and we only do that when safe to do so.

You said "... those like me who are not able to contort on a bike to have a look around" 

By all means use a mirror. No one here is saying you shouldn't. But imho if you think you need to be a contortionist to look around and are unable to ride a straight line while looking behind you, your perception of the dangers of thai roads will be greatly exaggerated. I'm 60+ but will give up riding when my skills deteriorate.

The more people who ride, the better it is for all of us. It makes drivers more cognizant of other road users. Please use a mirror. But don't insult me because I don't or because I ride differently than you do.

Maybe we have a different discussion here , that you have to separate a group of riders and solo riders like myself . I never ride fast , I do it to get some exercise. And I would not dare to ride on Thai roads without mirrors. Just like any motorbike are sold with mirrors I believe it is a very important part of the bicycle. Unfortunately most bicycles are sold witbout mirrors in Thailand.

In my home country Norway you can not ride a bicycle on public roads without mirrors. Thats the law. Off road is a different matter of course.

TIT and it would be crazy and stupid to ride a bicycle here without mirrors on busy roads.

3 hours ago, balo said:

TIT and it would be crazy and stupid to ride a bicycle here without mirrors on busy roads.

That is probably where we differ...... I don't call people crazy or stupid for managing a considered personal risk. 

Archived