what would they do without plastic bags

opalred

i am shocked to see in my own bin

how many plastic bags the wife and i have there every day

if you go to a market or shop

they will put a item in a plastic bag even if it is already in its own plastic container 

if you but a box of matches it goes in a plastic bag

buy a drink it goes in a plastic bag

where do all these bags end up on the road or burning 

how do you train people to stop 

when then the biggest money company's in world produce them 

and say no problem on this planet maybe  on another planet have problem

4 minutes ago, opalred said:

where do all these bags end up..........

Personally,  after the weekly shopping adventure at either Central, Lotus or Big-C, they end up lining our wastepaper bins at home for the rest of the week.

If I am shopping at the likes of 7/11, unless the purchase really needs one, I will refuse them; the staff normally understand this.

I decline the plastic bags from 7/11 and Boots, but I use the ones from TESCO and BigC.  Unlike back home, rarely do I ever buy plastic garbage bags.  Don't need to.  

The ones I get for free are about the perfect size for a day's worth of kitchen scraps and the like.  Any bigger and I'd probably forget to take them down to the apartment trash bin before they go off in the tropical heat of my apartment while I'm at work.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I decline the plastic bags from 7/11 and Boots, but I use the ones from TESCO and BigC.  Unlike back home, rarely do I ever buy plastic garbage bags.  Don't need to.  

The ones I get for free are about the perfect size for a day's worth of kitchen scraps and the like.  Any bigger and I'd probably forget to take them down to the apartment trash bin before they go off in the tropical heat of my apartment while I'm at work.

Yes, it's sad but true.

I usually have a backpack with me because my bike doesn't have a basket but I'm tired of having arguments with security guards who think I'm going to use the bag to steal with. 

You end up getting your shopping in bags and carrying it to the back check, but if you fill your backpack and return the plastic bags they throw them away because Thai people won't use a dirty bag. At least I can tell them not to double bag for the journey to the bag check.

So I just take them an recycle until an alternative is found.

It will take a whole lot of education in various different ways before things will change.

There was a short news article today/this morning on CNN about this problem.

Someone with brains has come up with the solution, the product is 100% biodegradable, comes from the natural waste of a food source.

Sorry I can't for the life of me think of the name of the company or the name of the waste produce.

At least it's a step in the right direction.

Golly gee... what would they do without plastic bags? Well, first, the plastic chemical company giant would not make as many billions of bahts; yes, they would have to lay off a few people.  Alternatively, local seamstresses would gain income by making resusable, earth friendly, cotton bags. The additional consequence would be that there would be more scenic and enjoyable litter free environments. Finally, the sea life would be healthier not getting caught up in all that crap. But it's like burning grass and trash in the villages; the idea of conserving and being Earth friendly is a strange, foreign, unorthodox idea that is alien to the culture... even making biodegradable plastic bags is too weird for most people.

19 hours ago, fruitman said:

Last weekend i bought a shirt in a departwmentstore in Malaysia and it was packed in a paper bag.....easy peasy...and the best thing was everybody there speaks good english, what a relieve.

I bought a shirt in KK clothes market is was placed in paper bag. And funnily enough every speaks Thai what a relief. But there again I am in Thailand and I did take time to learn the language as I'm loving here.

8 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I bought a shirt in KK clothes market is was placed in paper bag. And funnily enough every speaks Thai what a relief. But there again I am in Thailand and I did take time to learn the language as I'm loving here.

You are in KK, that's not BKK city where loads of tourists come shopping and the staff can't speak english to them...ALL malaysians can speak good english, also i haven't spotted one poking their nose or standing in the walkway.

If you can't speak thai while living in KK it would be very hard to live.

Last year or so i read that Thailand wanted to be the hub for disposable bags made from sugarcane, what happened to that big plan? 

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

You are in KK, that's not BKK city where loads of tourists come shopping and the staff can't speak english to them...ALL malaysians can speak good english, also i haven't spotted one poking their nose or standing in the walkway.

If you can't speak thai while living in KK it would be very hard to live.

Last year or so i read that Thailand wanted to be the hub for disposable bags made from sugarcane, what happened to that big plan? 

No idea what your on about. My point is i learned the laungage so i dont have to hunt around for an english speaker oh and by the way many staff in bkk speak English beacuse they could be bothered to learn it. Over to those in KK us it nearly imposible to live here not speaking thai.!!

3 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

No idea what your on about. My point is i learned the laungage so i dont have to hunt around for an english speaker oh and by the way many staff in bkk speak English beacuse they could be bothered to learn it. Over to those in KK us it nearly imposible to live here not speaking thai.!!

I've been shopping in ALL the malls in BKK and the staff in departmentstores can't speak english AT ALL.

My point is that also tourists from Malaysia, China, Singapore, Philipines, Europe, USA, Russia can't speak to the staff, oh well who cares....stupid tourists only come to spend money, who cares.

On 2/13/2017 at 6:28 PM, opalred said:

if you but a box of matches it goes in a plastic bag

buy a drink it goes in a plastic bag

If it's something that doesn't require a plastic bag or if you're already carrying one bag into which it can easily fit, say "no thanks" or "" mai aow khrap ." I do it all the time. No one has ever wrestled me to the floor insisting I take another plastic bag.

22 hours ago, elgenon said:

California cities have banned  single use plastic bags. Soon will be state wide. Can be done.

Yes but at what an inconvenience. Its not the plastic bags that are the problem its the idiots that leave them all over the place.

On 2/14/2017 at 4:42 PM, Paul Laycock said:

There was a short news article today/this morning on CNN about this problem.

Someone with brains has come up with the solution, the product is 100% biodegradable, comes from the natural waste of a food source.

Sorry I can't for the life of me think of the name of the company or the name of the waste produce.

At least it's a step in the right direction.

Tesco in the UK has been using bio-degradable plastic bags for years.Why don't they use them here? Shows they don't have any real commitment to the environmentl

On 2/13/2017 at 10:47 PM, fruitman said:

Last weekend i bought a shirt in a departmentstore in Malaysia and it was packed in a paper bag.....easy peasy...and the best thing was everybody there speaks good english, what a relieve.

Perhaps you should do some research on the cost to the enviroment of manufacturing 

paper bags as opposed to plastic bags. I think you may be a little surprised. One of them

causes an enormously detrimental effect compared to the other.

http://www.allaboutbags.ca/papervplastic.html

http://www.interplas.com/packaging-earth-friendly-recyclable-plastic-bags

Just a couple of links, there are many more.

I just save all those we get from Big C and Tesco Lotus and don't need ourselves for rubbish disposal purposes, and take them over to my sister in Paris each year to use for disposing of her rubbish, given that plastic bags are like gold dust in France these days!

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

I just save all those we get from Big C and Tesco Lotus and don't need ourselves for rubbish disposal purposes, and take them over to my sister in Paris each year to use for disposing of her rubbish, given that plastic bags are like gold dust in France these days!

I think you've just uncovered a new export business opportunity.  :thumbsup:

(I can't see why French customs officials wouldn't love receiving crates and shipping containers full of plastic bags from Thailand!)