Video: Taxi driver pulls knife on family for closing the boot too hard

webfact

Video: Taxi driver pulls knife on family for closing the boot too hard

2pm.jpg

Image: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK: -- Video footage has emerged of a Bangkok taxi driver threatening a family with a knife after one of them closed the boot too hard.

The driver has been fined 2,000 baht, ordered to undergo politeness training and has also been handed over to police.

The incident was posted on the Facebook page of Watchaphon Srithondee and shared across social media.

It shows a family putting their stuff in the back of a taxi in Phuttamonthon Sai 5 before they were to commence a journey to Mor Chit

bus station.

But after one of the passengers closes the boot the driver is annoyed and goes to the inside of the vehicle and gets a knife to threaten the passengers. The party includes a child and old people, reported TV news.

The passengers "wai" and say sorry for slamming the boot. Another man comes to calm the situation.

Nanthapong Chertchu of the land transport department said that the driver had been located and interviewed. He is Manas Saknupharp.

He admitted everything.

He was found not to have a license to operate a public vehicle for which he was fined 1,000 baht. He was also fined 1,000 baht for impolite behavior and ordered to undergo three hours politeness training.

He was also handed over to police though it has not been reported what action they intend to take.

The company who rented him the vehicle were fined 3,000 baht for not checking the driver's credentials properly.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-17

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fined 1K bath for "impolite behavior?"   OMG    

I'll have to remember that escape route the next time I threaten a family (including children and elderly folks) with a deadly weapon.

But don't forget:  18 months in jail here for picking protected mushrooms (originally a 15-year jail sentence)!  

Edited by Fookhaht

Should be jailed for at least two years for threatening behaviour with a lethal weapon.   No chance of that happening though as there will be some cock and bull story about how 'stressed' he was , or his wife is having an affair with his best mate, or his dog was made pregnant by a nasty neighbours dog.

Company that owns the vehicle should have its license revoked for at least a year and face a much stiffer fine in five figures.   Real punishment just doesn't exist here.

I used to believe that psycho cab drivers were just a tiny fraction of the total. Over the years I changed my opinion: still a minority but ever more visible. Maybe social media /CCTV makes it easier to spot them. The owners of the cab companies will do nothing to vet drivers...in their unrelenting pursuit of profit above all else. And the pathetic and pale pink DLT pays little more than lip service to the growing problem.

If you watch the video it really doesn't look like they slammed the trunk very hard.  Then, after the other taxi shows up and they get into it he continued to pace about, obviously ranting and raving and threatening them.

He should be doing a couple of weeks for assault and should also be tested for drugs, that's just not normal behavior.

And give him another 1000 baht fine for parking on the road while there is plenty space next to the road. Plus another 1000 for having that knife in his doorpocket.

The passengers didn't even close the boot hard.

So tomorrow this driver might be back in Thonburi to pick up customers...well it won't be me though, guys like him make me want to never use taxi's again.

1 hour ago, Fookhaht said:

Fined 1K bath for "impolite behavior?"   OMG    

I'll have to remember that escape route the next time I threaten a family (including children and elderly folks) with a deadly weapon.

But don't forget:  18 months in jail here for picking protected mushrooms (originally a 15-year jail sentence)!  

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

This surely has to be a custodial sentence. Can't have people threatening others with a deadly weapon. Especially can't have people in the service industry doing this. 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Yeah 2,000 baht, and than everybody asks why is the violence on our roads..

try 20 baht next time, maybe that will teach them a lesson,, pathetic....

52 minutes ago, newcomer71 said:

Impplite behavior... 1K baht fine...

This country has seriously gone downhill...

44 minutes ago, fruitman said:

And give him another 1000 baht fine for parking on the road while there is plenty space next to the road. Plus another 1000 for having that knife in his doorpocket.

He will get more, in addition to the fines so far.." He was also handed over to police "

6 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

He will get more, in addition to the fines so far.." He was also handed over to police "

So let me get this straight:  All the fining was done by the Land Transport Dept., and they were the ones who handed him over to the police?   I'm surprised the police weren't called immediately to deal with this violent criminal.  Maybe the LTD were just trying to get their pound of flesh before sending him over to the BIB?   

20 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

So let me get this straight:  All the fining was done by the Land Transport Dept., and they were the ones who handed him over to the police?   I'm surprised the police weren't called immediately to deal with this violent criminal.  Maybe the LTD were just trying to get their pound of flesh before sending him over to the BIB?   

That's right, exactly.

This is exactly why I don't use taxis in Bangkok. I used them a couple of times a week for about 3 years and narrowly avoided fights with these guys for...

Politely asking them to turn down their 200db crackly radio so I can hear other passengers speak.

Asking him to go the correct way to the destination (not try and get on the highway for a 1 kilometre trip).

Politely asking for AC to be used when it's 38 outside.

Asking them to pause the meter as they wait in a long queue to fill up LPG with me in the car as a passenger.

Asking them to slow down a bit (the guy was doing 120 down Sathorn with my young nieces in the car - no seat belts available).

Asking for a meter to be used after being quoted 800 Baht from Sathorn to the airport.

I don't use them any more except in emergencies - I just can't be bothered with them.

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This is exactly why I don't use taxis in Bangkok. I used them a couple of times a week for about 3 years and narrowly avoided fights with these guys for...

Politely asking them to turn down their 200db crackly radio so I can hear other passengers speak.

Asking him to go the correct way to the destination (not try and get on the highway for a 1 kilometre trip).

Asking them to pause the meter as they wait in a long queue to fill up LPG with me in the car as a passenger.

Asking them to slow down a bit (the guy was doing 120 down Sathorn with my young nieces in the car - no seat belts available).

Asking for a meter to be used after being quoted 800 Baht from Sathorn to the airport.

I don't use them any more except in emergencies - I just can't be bothered with them.

RIDICULOUS DEMANDS!  Where's your sense of submissiveness?  After all, you're only a customer.  And a foreigner, at that.  :whistling:

Edited by Fookhaht

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

And some taxi's really stink, i bet they smoke in them (i'm a smoker myself).

Also i don't like the dangerous drivingstyle some of them have.

Some are constantly on the phone while driving.

Some have very crappy taxi's with wheelbearrings screaming, brakes making noise, engines with issues.

Last week we took a taxi to a weddingparty, my wife had to sit on spilled coffee which was on the backseat with her expensive dress.

Some are very rude, they warned my wife for this farang because he might have 10 kids back home.....we are married for a decade.

Many times they don't have any change or it takes ages before they find it.

They stop on dangerous spots at the road, never search for a safe spot at a fuel station or so.

I'm very tired of them.

39 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I am exactly the same. The bus is fine.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver has been fined 2,000 baht, ordered to undergo politeness training and has also been handed over to police

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Thank you for making me laugh so hard. This has to be the quote of the day. I wonder what the 3 hours politeness training entails. I wish someone could video that.

Once again the Taxis in Bangkok show what many are like. Sadly the Taxi services have gone 'down the pan' over the last 15 years IIMHO. I know there are good ones out there but from experience they are difficult to find. A bit like an honest copper here.

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Company that owns the vehicle should have its license revoked for at least a year and face a much stiffer fine in five figures.   Real punishment just doesn't exist here.

Yes, spot on; make the company owners criminally and financially liable for the actions of drivers, within reason. That is the only way to sort out some of this crap...hit them where it hurts most.