Nine people flee U.S. border patrol to seek asylum in Canada

rooster59

Nine people flee U.S. border patrol to seek asylum in Canada

By Christinne Muschi

CHAMPLAIN, N.Y. (Reuters) - Nine asylum-seekers, including four children, barely made it across the Canadian border on Friday as a U.S. border patrol officer tried to stop them and a Reuters photographer captured the scene.

As a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officer seized their passports and questioned a man in the front passenger seat of a taxi that had pulled up to the border in Champlain, New York, four adults and four young children fled the cab and ran to Royal Canadian Mounted Police on the other side.

One by one they scrambled across the snowy gully separating the two countries. RCMP officers watching from the other side helped them up, lifting the younger children and asking a woman, who leaned on her fellow passenger as she walked, if she needed medical care.

The children looked back from where they had come as the U.S. officer held the first man, saying his papers needed to be verified.

The man turned to a pile of belongings and heaved pieces of luggage two at a time into the gully -- enormous wheeled suitcases, plastic shopping bags, a black backpack.

"Nobody cares about us," he told journalists. He said they were all from Sudan and had been living and working in Delaware for two years.

The RCMP declined on Friday to confirm the nationalities of the people. A Reuters photo showed that at least one of their passports was Sudanese.

The man then appeared to grab their passports from the U.S. officer before making a run for the border. The officer yelled and gave chase but stopped at the border marker. Canadian police took hold of the man's arm as he crossed.

The border patrol officer told his counterpart that the man was in the United States illegally and that he would have detained him.

Officers on both sides momentarily eyed the luggage strewn in the snow before the U.S. officer took it, and a walker left on the road, to the border line.

The RCMP carried the articles to their vehicles, and the people piled in to be driven to a nearby border office to be interviewed by police and to make a refugee claim.

People seeking refugee status have been pouring over the Canada-U.S. border as the United States looks to tighten its policies on refugees and illegal immigrants. Asylum-seekers sneak across because even if they are caught, they can make a claim in Canada; if they make a claim at a border crossing, they are turned away. [L1N1FO1Z8]

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-18

Asylum-seekers sneak across because even if they are caught, they can make a claim in Canada; if they make a claim at a border crossing, they are turned away.

How does this sentence match the above described event?

I'm proud to be from one of the remaining true democracies of the World that has compassion for our fellow man especially those no longer welcome in Trump's America. These people will gladly take jobs that nobody else wants and soon will be contributing forces to the economy.

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

It's literally hundreds now. I was watching the news the other day and they just walk on through.

Canadians are  about to discover the joys of economic migrants who  will be mooching off the welfare system and getting priority healthcare.

Yeah, not that Thailand would know anything about degenerate expats chasing cheap thrills and contributing nothing to society. 

2 hours ago, goferman said:

I'm proud to be from one of the remaining true democracies of the World that has compassion for our fellow man especially those no longer welcome in Trump's America. These people will gladly take jobs that nobody else wants and soon will be contributing forces to the economy.

No they wont, the vast majority sit on their <deleted> and do stuff all and collect the money the stupid pollies give em.

1 hour ago, goferman said:

And eventually they will be demanding that Sharia law become part of the Canadian judicial system.

Great result. They can cross the border be detained and processed in Canada. To the poster that welcomes them because they will only do jobs others are unwilling to do, I hope you feel that way for years to come. Please welcome them all in. 

My only problem with this story is US border agents stopping them before they crossed the border. If they are running north let them go.

16 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Great result. They can cross the border be detained and processed in Canada. To the poster that welcomes them because they will only do jobs others are unwilling to do, I hope you feel that way for years to come. Please welcome them all in. 

My only problem with this story is US border agents stopping them before they crossed the border. If they are running north let them go.

I think you are just happy to see them gone. Am I right?

They leave the USA voluntarily is a good result. I wish them well in their newly found utopia of tolerance.

I am with you that they leave voluntarily, but and that is a big but I wish they would go some where other than Canada,perhaps their home country.

Just now, lovelomsak said:

I am with you that they leave voluntarily, but and that is a big but I wish they would go some where other than Canada,perhaps their home country.

I just find it funny they leave of their own accord now. What more could you ask for? We should offer free shuttle buses to the border for anybody that wants to join them in their new homeland. I guess our border patrols have to sort of pretend they want to catch some of them so we don't get accused of encouraging a mass exodus to igloo land. 

They will never voluntarily go home. Canada will have to process them and then deport them as necessary. They cost Canada money the second the enter that country. 

I just find it funny they leave of their own accord now. What more could you ask for? We should offer free shuttle buses to the border for anybody that wants to join them in their new homeland. I guess our border patrols have to sort of pretend they want to catch some of them so we don't get accused of encouraging a mass exodus to igloo land. 

They will never voluntarily go home. Canada will have to process them and then deport them as necessary. They cost Canada money the second the enter that country. 

If I was American I would feel exactly the same as you. Who knows there may be bus loads in the future.

Once in Canada I hope they get deported. One time cost instead of welfare families for eternity.

Just now, lovelomsak said:

If I was American I would feel exactly the same as you. Who knows there may be bus loads in the future.

Once in Canada I hope they get deported. One time cost instead of welfare families for eternity.

I would also prefer them to not be able to anchor down in Canada. An ocean away is much better. Once again thank God for the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

14 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I would also prefer them to not be able to anchor down in Canada. An ocean away is much better. Once again thank God for the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

Alas, those oceans are not wide enough to negate the decades of trouble ahead brought on by Justin Snowflake Trudeau.

45 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

And the ability to build a wall... lets not forget the wall.

And.... the highway department should prominently display arrows pointing the way to Canada as well.

And.... maybe those state information centers ( on the highways passing from state to state) can start handing out recommended routes north with easy crossing points

And.... perhaps the government can secretly fund an new "Underground Railroad" to help move the refugees north.

Just now, farcanell said:

And the ability to build a wall... lets not forget the wall.

And.... the highway department should prominently display arrows pointing the way to Canada as well.

And.... maybe those state information centers ( on the highways passing from state to state) can start handing out recommended routes north with easy crossing points

And.... perhaps the government can secretly fund an new "Underground Railroad" to help move the refugees north.

Yes and get Canada to pay for it. God speed to those brave travelers heading north.

4 hours ago, USNret said:

Yeah, not that Thailand would know anything about degenerate expats chasing cheap thrills and contributing nothing to society. 

makes no sense...expats in thailand contribute quite a lot...no expats in thailand get free housing, medical care, food, etc...etc...all provided by the thai citizenry...also, the people in the story are illegals...so there is no genuine comparison...

8 hours ago, goferman said:

On the other hand companies like to employ them with no need to pay the legal wage, no need to pay insurance and tax etc so local people lose out yet the system will still help the illegals with emergency medical aid while others have to pay.

21 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

It's literally hundreds now. I was watching the news the other day and they just walk on through.

Canadians are  about to discover the joys of economic migrants who  will be mooching off the welfare system and getting priority healthcare.

As the Sudanese  have entered Canada via the US one would assume they had all been thoroughly vetted and are genuine refugees. In addition many refugees (most?) from the Sudan are Christian as well as from tribal non Muslim culture.