In and out and in again

I have a 2 mo. visa but something came up, and so I would like to first enter Thailand overland without having this visa stamped, stay in Bangkok for just a couple of days, fly out for a week to take care of business, then fly back to BKK and start my two-month visa from that point.

I've heard of asking the immigration officer to allow visa-free entry under such circumstances (I can show the R/T ticket confirmation exciting BKK a couple of days later, and returning before I need to use my visa), but would like to check if anyone's had personal experience with this recently and can share. I'd hate to have to depend on a 50/50 situation or whim of the guy/gal in uniform at the border. TIA.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

You could leave the space on the arrival card for the visa number blank and see what happens.

If you had to use your visa you could get a single re-entry permit for a fee of 1000 baht to keep the remainder of your 60 day entry valid when you return from your trip. If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you can get one on departure from the country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaPiPuPePo said:

I'd hate to have to depend on a 50/50 situation or whim of the guy/gal in uniform at the border. TIA.

Unfortunately that's what it comes down to, but I'd say the odds are less than 50%.

They can do what you want and you could try leaving the visa info on the arrival card blank, but most IO's will search the passport for visas regardless.

I would be upfront about it and show the flight out after two days to justify your request for a visa exempt entry. 

• Like 1

And offtopic but similar. I have once entered with 2 valid visas in passport as the consulate didn't annul my oldest visa. Upon arriving in swampy i asked the officer to use the still valid non-immigrant-o and not the tourist visa triple entry. By doing so i could stay 3 months without 1900 extension fee. Officer gave me the smile. And said ok. My point: it depends on the person. 

Hi folks I appreciate the quick replies. 

I didn't know about the re-entry. To make sure I got it correct: I'd enter the first time on the 2-month visa. after 2-3 days I exit at BKK, get the permit, and when I come back 5-6 days later I still have 2 mos. minus a week or so for the cost of 1000Bt.

If that's correct, it would be an acceptable back-up plan if the border officer disregards my request and stamps my visa anyway. So if Ubonjoe or anyone else who's familiar with this can confirm I've got the right idea, I've then got a plan--hope for the best at the border, but if that doesn't work out I don't have to get another visa (thus avoiding time wasted and the hassle). Thanks!

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

1 minute ago, PaPiPuPePo said:

I didn't know about the re-entry. To make sure I got it correct: I'd enter the first time on the 2-month visa. after 2-3 days I exit at BKK, get the permit, and when I come back 5-6 days later I still have 2 mos. minus a week or so for the cost of 1000Bt.

No problem to get the re-entry permit at BKK airport the desk to get one is just before the departure immigration (not fast track though) desks  after security.

Be sure you have a 4 X 6 cm photo in case they cannot do it for you. They will charge a 200 service fee to do the photo and copies needed.

You get the remainder of your 60 days when you re-enter the country.

15 minutes ago, PaPiPuPePo said:

I didn't know about the re-entry. To make sure I got it correct: I'd enter the first time on the 2-month visa. after 2-3 days I exit at BKK, get the permit, and when I come back 5-6 days later I still have 2 mos. minus a

Yes I think you've got it.

When you first enter you're given permission to stay for 60 days. If you exit and return on day 9 of the original 60 you would be given permission to stay for 51 days when entering using the re-entry permit.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could leave the space on the arrival card for the visa number blank and see what happens.

If you had to use your visa you could get a single re-entry permit for a fee of 1000 baht to keep the remainder of your 60 day entry valid when you return from your trip. If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you can get one on departure from the country.

Question if i can obtain in lets say Vientiane a SETV for 60 days and after 20 days i need to go to Vietnam  for a week can i then by buying a re-entry permit still go back to Thailand by using my existing SETV?

45 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Question if i can obtain in lets say Vientiane a SETV for 60 days and after 20 days i need to go to Vietnam  for a week can i then by buying a re-entry permit still go back to Thailand by using my existing SETV?

You would use the re-entry permit for entry and be stamped in for the remainder of your 60 days from the SETV.

48 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes.  That's what a re-entry permit is.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

When you return to Thailand you would enter the re-entry permit number in the space on the arrival card where it asks for the visa number.

But, if you're in Thailand for 20 days and in Vietnam for a week, you'd only have about a month left on your tourist visa entry, which is what you'd get on a visa exempt entry anyway. Whether you return using a re-entry permit or a visa exampt entry, you could get an additional 30 days by getting an extension of stay at an immigration office.

17 hours ago, Mook23 said:

I have done this. With no problem. But it will depend on immigration officer.

There should be rules laid down by the immigration authorities, and each immigration officer should have to go with them no matter

what mood he/she is in, but TiT.

a couple years ago i had a similar situation.  flew in from USA not wanting to use the visa.  i did not put the visa number on the arrival form and thought it would be no problem at all.  but the officer looked through my passport and saw the tourist visa (from USA) and made me use it.  my passport was issued in 2008 and is filled with visas, stamps, etc.. so it is quite thick (extra pages have been added several times).  so as suggested, go for the re-entry permit option.  you don't need to bring anything to the re entry permit desk.  they take your picture, fill out the form, etc...  just show up with your passport and pay the fee (i believe it is 200thb plus the 1,000 for the re-entry permit).