Second hand Ford fiesta - would you buy

BaldPlumber

51 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Have you ever driven one of these faulty transmission cars? or are you working on the assumption that your car is ok so that means everyone else's car must be ok ?

Perhaps you could enlighten everyone on how to operate a dual clutch transmission.

I'd like to know this as well

When I first bought the car i also experienced the symptoms (jerkiness, non smooth gear changes, etc) that are mentioned by many fiesta owners and in those class actions..however after reading about how powershift transmission, i understood that this transmission is designed to give you the same feel as driving a manual transmission..it all depends on how you accelerate/ pressure you apply on the pedal at low speed and once i got used to the acceleration, i found the car very exciting to drive..i think ford issued a number of statements trying to teach owners about the powershift transmission, but it is not completely successful for them as nowadays there are number of new drivers who have never driven a manual transmission..if the transmission was really faulty i do not think Ford would have extended the warranty on these transmission to 10 years..this is just my opinion after owning a fiesta and learning how to drive it..i know others may have has other experiences and i respect their opinions..

14 hours ago, bizader said:

When I first bought the car i also experienced the symptoms (jerkiness, non smooth gear changes, etc) that are mentioned by many fiesta owners and in those class actions..however after reading about how powershift transmission, i understood that this transmission is designed to give you the same feel as driving a manual transmission..it all depends on how you accelerate/ pressure you apply on the pedal at low speed and once i got used to the acceleration, i found the car very exciting to drive..i think ford issued a number of statements trying to teach owners about the powershift transmission, but it is not completely successful for them as nowadays there are number of new drivers who have never driven a manual transmission..if the transmission was really faulty i do not think Ford would have extended the warranty on these transmission to 10 years..this is just my opinion after owning a fiesta and learning how to drive it..i know others may have has other experiences and i respect their opinions..

You still haven't answered the following question  

Have you ever driven one of these faulty transmission cars?

and you still haven't explained how to drive a car with Powershift transmission !

By extending the Warranty Ford are admitting there is a fault otherwise why would they extend the warranty, plus it is cheaper than doing a recall of all car's.

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

By extending the Warranty Ford are admitting there is a fault otherwise why would they extend the warranty, plus it is cheaper than doing a recall of all car's.

Like Chevrolet with their ignition switch fault. Cheaper to pay out a few claims - even after someone dies - and the legal fees than recall millions of cars. Sad state of affairs.

Not sure what Ford's thinking was when they decided to put a performance transmission on a car designed for women and old people. Should have stuck with a conventional auto so people can poodle about and get in the way of other people like other small cars.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I have a 1.6 120ps manual fiesta and it has no problems.

P.S> The picture is an auxiliary drive pulley or alternator. 

And whoever took the picture is no David Bailey either ....

OK here is some clarification on the issue. First of all - yes, 2008-2014 Fiestas (not sure of last verion) are known to have TCM issue. Over years Ford developed like 10+ of firmware version for TCM and none were good enough. So eventually when they had customers from all over the world complaining about it they have extended warranty for TCM (and TCM only) to 10 years so if yours fails they will replace it for free, even in Thailand. I know, I replaced mine a year ago :) In my case I tried everything else in earlier stages when the fault just started appearing periodically, changed few firmware versions (I have Ford dealer software) but nothing helped and eventually my TCM died.

This being said, Fiesta is a great small car that is fun to drive. TCM failures happen to very small overall percentage of them, I know lots of people with Fiestas both in Thailand and in Europe who never had any issues with them.

On 3/20/2017 at 10:32 PM, commie said:

OK here is some clarification on the issue. First of all - yes, 2008-2014 Fiestas (not sure of last verion) are known to have TCM issue. Over years Ford developed like 10+ of firmware version for TCM and none were good enough. So eventually when they had customers from all over the world complaining about it they have extended warranty for TCM (and TCM only) to 10 years so if yours fails they will replace it for free, even in Thailand. I know, I replaced mine a year ago :) In my case I tried everything else in earlier stages when the fault just started appearing periodically, changed few firmware versions (I have Ford dealer software) but nothing helped and eventually my TCM died.

This being said, Fiesta is a great small car that is fun to drive. TCM failures happen to very small overall percentage of them, I know lots of people with Fiestas both in Thailand and in Europe who never had any issues with them.

Posted by a ford service manager:smile:

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

Posted by a ford service manager:smile:

LOL that was funny :)  I had 3-4 Fiestas in my life, from 1.0 Mk3 to RS Turbo which I bought stolen and recovered in London ages ago and rebuilt myself, so I guess I know a bit about them ;)