Boy dies inhaling gas from camping gas can

webfact

Boy dies inhaling gas from camping gas can

16_Gas.jpg

KORAT: -- A 12-year-old boy died and his friend injured after they inhaled gas from a camping gas canister bought from a supermarket in Nakhon Ratchasima province.

The unusual case of inhaling gas, later identified as butane, is a new thing for teenagers beside inhaling glue or other deodorants.

This first case of inhaling gas from butane can bought from Lotus Express Khamsakae-saeng branch was revealed by Dr Viraphol Wongpraphan, head of the Occupational Health and Environmental Disease Control Office at Nakhon Ratchasima Public Health Office.

He said the Grade 6 boy, whose name was withheld, died from inhaling too much butane gas which caused sudden death.

The gas is harmful to heath same as cooking gas and cause brain damage if over inhaling, he said.

Inhaling butane is similar to other deodorants or glue as it makes one to become dizzy and misplaced like drug.

Another injured boy who was rushed to hospital unconsciously but was saved in time admitted that after buying the butane can from the supermarket, they sprayed the gas into plastic bags and then covered their heads with the bags to inhale.

But he said his friend inhale too much.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/boy-dies-inhaling-gas-camping-gas-can/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-21

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Great parenting...

This is incredibly common and if the kids want to do it ,there's not much parents can do. It would be asking too much that these items should be age restricted , like cigarettes and spray paint...and in any case those measures are pretty ineffective as there's always an 18 year old ready to buy for them, for a consideration of course.

The way this article reads, Thai PBS seems to have eliminated the position of translator and is now simply running their news items through Google Translate:

"Butane is similar to other deodorants... as it makes one to become dizzy and misplaced".

Apart from these highlights, I'm not sure that there is a single sentence in this article that is free from grammatical and/or spelling errors.

39 minutes ago, fstarbkk said:

The way this article reads, Thai PBS seems to have eliminated the position of translator and is now simply running their news items through Google Translate:

"Butane is similar to other deodorants... as it makes one to become dizzy and misplaced".

Apart from these highlights, I'm not sure that there is a single sentence in this article that is free from grammatical and/or spelling errors.

Can't be. There aren't enough errors for it to have gone through Google Translate.

1 hour ago, fstarbkk said:

Strange, isn't it. They won't use a native English speaker to check their English because they'd lose face. Instead, they lose even more face by looking stupid with what they publish. Of course, Thais would be unable to link the two....

“…admitted that after buying the butane can from the supermarket, they sprayed the gas into plastic bags and then covered their heads with the bags to inhale.

I don't believe that those instructions were written on the can. Somehow, one would think that common sense would make one come to the conclusion that any act that involves placing a chemical in a plastic bag, and then sticking that bag over you head, might be dangerous. I am sure this never occurred to anyone who was involved.  In today's world, it amazes me that there are no classes at any school level that are geared towards drug abuse, sex education, and any other issue that affects the general public and the young cohort specifically. However, Dem Kids Sure Know Their Songs!!!

Edited by jaltsc

The death of a child for whatever reason is always incredibly sad.

I, for one send my commiserations to his undoubtedly devastated parents.

One can only hope that something can be learned from this tragic loss of life, to try to prevent its reoccurrence.

Children do not adequately understand the dangers, and they need to be told this act can kill you.

Perhaps the Supermarkets should address their policy of whether to sell such potentially lethal products to minors.

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

I trust sympathy isn't expected. Not in the face of such crass ignorance and blind stupidity.

I'm sorry, but your post leaves me shocked.

Are you saying you have no sympathy for the kids poor parents?

Are you suggesting they condoned and were in full knowledge of what he and his friend were doing?

And decided to just let them carry on?

They will be mortified at such a loss. I just hope they don't read your post.

Kids are stupid and ignorant. Even ones from Europe. That is what teaching is about.

I just hope other kids in Thailand learn from this tragedy, and that you are never left in the position of this poor kids parents.

Maybe you will remember your words if you do.

12 years old...

What a tragic. I know in Canada the inuit and native people have epidemic of this in the North. I don't know if it the isolation they have other social problems but I think some counseling and education needs to be stepped up.

People need hope for the future. Need good jobs to help them move forward.

28 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I'm sorry, but your post leaves me shocked.

Are you saying you have no sympathy for the kids poor parents?

Are you suggesting they condoned and were in full knowledge of what he and his friend were doing?

And decided to just let them carry on?

They will be mortified at such a loss. I just hope they don't read your post.

Kids are stupid and ignorant. Even ones from Europe. That is what teaching is about.

I just hope other kids in Thailand learn from this tragedy, and that you are never left in the position of this poor kids parents.

Maybe you will remember your words if you do.

The keywords of great parenting - 'were in full knowledge of what he and his friends were doing'.

And these kids are in Grade 6, of ages 11-12.

These medical experts get worse, Butane is heaver than air so blocks the air sacks in the lungs, It was probably the macapton which they stench the Butane so you can smell it in case of a leak, simply by turning the boy upside down would allow the gas to run down hill, emptying his lungs, yes if the he cannot breath or get oxygen into his blood he will die of brain damage,

On 2017/2/21 at 0:04 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Strange, isn't it. They won't use a native English speaker to check their English because they'd lose face. Instead, they lose even more face by looking stupid with what they publish. Of course, Thais would be unable to link the two....

May they want to cut cost, if they employ a native English speaker it would cost them quite a tidy sum of money wouldn't it?

Anyway, I don't think Thais really care a damn if their English is good or not. Even with such a huge influx of foreigners who speak English in Thailand I hardly see any Thais who really want to improve their English so that they can communicate better.

They would rather you speak Thai after all they love their country and proud of their language. There is no doubt about this at all.(well, for me at least).

The question is more like, "why are you expecting Thais to speak or write good proper English?" (Thais being polite are reluctant to put this question to you).

By the way, the whole system of government is geared to make the appearance that the government love the people, care about the people and that is all they needed never mind if they don't speak the language of the barbarians.

The Thai government propaganda machine beats the WW2 German propaganda minister- Joseph Goebbels hands down.( expat would agree with me, no?)

"Rug Mern Thai" - ( I love Thailand). When asked why I learn Thai language I always have this answer for them, they love it my friend. They love it.

My guess is this was a result of a combination of poor parenting and environment being stronger than will power for most teens. Wrong friends. And parents who are not setting an example, and providing enough discipline and boundaries. A completely unnecessary tragedy. When I was a kid I sniffed gasoline, glue, whatever I could find. I lived in a bad area, and most of my friends were doing heroin at the time, and I was the only one who would not do it. Environment is a powerful influence for a kid, who does not know any better, and is incapable of telling his friends they are full of crap, and do not know anything. Only by being around people who became a good influence for me, was I able to escape that path, and move forward in a more positive direction.

My parents were of no help at that time, as they did not believe in discipline, and I took full advantage of that. Lenient parenting is a terrible thing. You are not doing a service to your kids by being easy on them. Not on any level. 

Edited by spidermike007

4 hours ago, madusa said:

May they want to cut cost, if they employ a native English speaker it would cost them quite a tidy sum of money wouldn't it?

Anyway, I don't think Thais really care a damn if their English is good or not. Even with such a huge influx of foreigners who speak English in Thailand I hardly see any Thais who really want to improve their English so that they can communicate better.

They would rather you speak Thai after all they love their country and proud of their language. There is no doubt about this at all.(well, for me at least).

The question is more like, "why are you expecting Thais to speak or write good proper English?" (Thais being polite are reluctant to put this question to you).

By the way, the whole system of government is geared to make the appearance that the government love the people, care about the people and that is all they needed never mind if they don't speak the language of the barbarians.

The Thai government propaganda machine beats the WW2 German propaganda minister- Joseph Goebbels hands down.( expat would agree with me, no?)

"Rug Mern Thai" - ( I love Thailand). When asked why I learn Thai language I always have this answer for them, they love it my friend. They love it.

Why? They are supplying a service to an English-speaking audience, which is a little bit larger than the world that speaks Thai. It improves their readership/hit numbers. That's the way the internet works, to make money. They simply can't be bothered to do it properly, not uncommon in Thailand where often any old way will do. If something works, kind of, then that's good enough for them. Whether it a professional job or not is of no interest to them as they often appear to have no pride in their work.

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why? They are supplying a service to an English-speaking audience, which is a little bit larger than the world that speaks Thai. It improves their readership/hit numbers. That's the way the internet works, to make money. They simply can't be bothered to do it properly, not uncommon in Thailand where often any old way will do. If something works, kind of, then that's good enough for them. Whether it a professional job or not is of no interest to them as they often appear to have no pride in their work.

"Whether it a professional job or not is of no interest to them as they often appear to have no pride in their work". -  what you said here may be right. On the other hand it appears to me to be a case of "Pay peanuts you get monkey service"

They are poorly paid so they don't see why they should do better.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:47 PM, jaltsc said:

In today's world, it amazes me that there are no classes at any school level that are geared towards drug abuse, sex education, and any other issue that affects the general public and the young cohort specifically.

Why should schools take on responsibility for stuffing their curriculum with subjects not directly connected to traditional education needs? The 3 R's demand more time and effort in schools than is available already. Parents and other family members should take responsibility for bringing up their children with acceptable values and personal standards.  Would sensible parents want to entrust representatives of a fragile, low-standard education system to guide their children in matters of morality, etc as well? The poor misguided kids get enough questionable BS pumped into them now.  Please don't enable an authoritarian state to inhibit their development in broader areas of life.