The Midweek Rant: Stop Knocking Pattaya!

webfact

The Midweek Rant: Stop Knocking Pattaya!

pat.jpg

Pattaya has taken a helluva knocking lately. From those claiming that the crime rate has gone through the roof with attacks in bars and necklace snatchings, that the resort is nothing but a haven for villains both local and international, to those who say that it is dirty, corrupt and the dregs of Thailand.

It seems that in the eyes of many Pattaya is the pits – always has been and always will be. It has no future and should be avoided. Its seedy image is well engrained and it deserves being called a prostitution capital of the world worth visiting only for sex tourists. Even then the people are horrible and you’ll be lucky not to be attacked.

Well I beg to differ.

Most of the negativity comes from people who don’t live in Pattaya or even idiots who have never even been there. Or it comes from the bias of people who have never really got to know the resort or what it has to offer in so many ways.

People are just prejudiced when Pattaya is mentioned.

For me I admit I like to poke fun at Pattaya. I have lived almost my entire adult life in Bangkok and this is where I intend to stay and like the most. But that doesn’t mean to say I haven’t had some great times in Pattaya.

I must have visited there at least 100 times. As a journalist I have written many hundreds of crime stories about the resort – I am under no illusions about what could happen but I still like it and think it is a great place to visit.

Why?

Because it has so much to offer. And so much more than walking Street or bar stools.

When my children were growing up it was always a favorite of ours to go to Pattaya. We used to leave mum at home for a rest and drive off there. Hotels were of good quality and very reasonably priced. Great food was to be had everywhere and again nearly always good value. The people seemed perfectly OK – a bit more surprised at a Westerner speaking good Thai than Bangkok – but never any problems.

And my young kids growing up loved the place for Pattaya Park, Ripley’s, mini golf, the beach – whatever, we always had a great time, great weekends.

For me it was not a place I would live in – I was hooked on Bangkok and that was where we lived – but it was always worth a few days to visit.

If I ever went out with the boys on other trips – and we had a few stag weekends at the resort – a good time was always had by all. No fights, no blood, no trouble. Maybe we never went looking for any – but none found us.

Now starting a new family with more young children and a wife who likes to go to Pattaya we shall be going to the resort all over again. And hopefully for many years to come.

These days there is even more to do for families in the area of Pattaya, the hotels remain excellent value and the food is better than ever. More variety, more choice, more everything.

Sure it’s a bit grubby in places and a bit disorganized but you can hardly say that Bangkok doesn’t suffer from those problems.

We shall continue to go to Pattaya and always will and can’t wait for our trip there when the Thai school holidays start next week.

So to those people who seem to spend their entire lives moaning about Pattaya – why don’t you give it a rest?

And stop knocking Pattaya!

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-22

23 minutes ago, webfact said:

Stop knocking Pattaya !

Unfortunately, with social media nowadays, things will get a lot worse, as every man and his dog can post negativity anonymously.

My take on anywhere, is, do a bit of research on a destination, and if it looks not to my liking, I will give it a miss. 

Retiring here after decades in Bangkok, I live outside the main city area which I confess I don't like much with current roadworks etc. but some surrounding areas offer much to retirees or families in terms of space, quiet, greenery and things to do. Like all resort cities it attracts some undesirable people and infrastructure over development but to equate Pattaya just to the sleazier areas is and always has been a jaundiced view and says more about the person doing that than the city itself.

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unfortunately, with social media nowadays, things will get a lot worse, as every man and his dog can post negativity anonymously.

My take on anywhere, is, do a bit of research on a destination, and if it looks not to my liking, I will give it a miss. 

Yep and Sin City pattaya is definately on the top of my list.  Definately not a place to take children near.

Without boasting I've lived in HK, London, NYC, LA, SFO, Toronto, KL, Singapore and been to over 40 countries... Thailand is easily in my top 5 countries and Pattaya top cities to live in. Got everything here... Especially the fact I can play football every day!

HK has wan chai, bkk has soi cowboy and Nana, Tokyo shinjuku and working girls freely asking if you want some on the streets, London has Kings x, Singapore you can get what you want in a karaoke bar... Everywhere I been to there's sex on offer and yet it's easy to just give Pattaya the bad press.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You possibly have a couple of good points and true, it can't all be bad, but now you just have to convince the rest of the world....and you could start with the Daily Mirror in the UK.

in Pattaya you don't need to look

Yeah because everyone believes in what the Daily Mirror says.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

At last something sensible written about the good side of  Pattaya
I have been here coming to Pattaya for the past ten years for a few months a year. We have a house here. It has much improved over the years since we have been coming here, with better and better amenities and hotels that are much more family orientated.

Crime is a problem as with any big city and corruption is an issue for sure.
In the UK I live near Brighton, but I feel much safer walking in the streets of Pattaya at night than I do in most towns in the UK.

My daughter and her two young sons have been here on a visit from the UK for ten days and they loved the place. There is plenty of good stuff to do and see in Pattaya  that doesn't include the bar and sex trade.

After that I feel like going out and buying an I love Pattaya T-shirt

The sex industry is not a turn off for Pattaya but a tourist attraction same a the red light district in Amsterdam. Families can visit and have a good time without exposing the little ones.

The problem with Pattaya for tourists is the same in much of Thailand's beach resorts. Filthy sea and beach mixed with crime and corrupt police. Unfortunately for Pattaya the crime and corruption are higher than most places in Thailand except Phuket. The only thing Phuket has going for it is that its a lot prettier than Pattaya that's why it is more popular.

28 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Pattaya fulfills a variety of needs.  To some it's a beach resort; to others a tourist centre to strike out from.  It's got a wide range of food; hotels and, yes, girls from which to choose.  The worst thing about the place is the police.

What about all the criminals, paedophiles and other assorted missfits from across the globe fleeing and hear hells bells ringing and jump into the mixing pot known as pattaya?   Yes Pattaya has it all and doesnt really attract the best.  You have to admit it does a a very soiled reputation around the world.  Not actually known as a place to raise children.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

What about all the criminals, paedophiles and other assorted missfits from across the globe fleeing and hear hells bells ringing and jump into the mixing pot known as pattaya?   Yes Pattaya has it all and doesnt really attract the best.  You have to admit it does a a very soiled reputation around the world.  Not actually known as a place to raise children.

We ain,t raising kids....been there done that a long time ago  :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Thechook said:

As I said in my original post the police are responsible for arresting 'all the criminals, paedophiles and other assorted missfits from across the globe fleeing'.  They don't do even half a job.

I freely admit Pattaya has a ' very soiled reputation around the world.'  I have lived here 12+ years and feel that this reputation is over-hyped often by people who have never visited but jump on various band-wagons.

It is no worse than Bangkok, it's just smaller & therefore more concentrated.  It has something for everyone at an affordable price.

But .....but... for  so  many its  all and  only   about ......! 

But of  course  the  service industry  to the  predominant Sirvice  industry  does  depend  on it.A wonderful  compensation to those  that take  advantage  of that  whilst  denying the blatant basis and purpose. For  sure  it  is  not  about pristine  beach  sand for the  kiddies  to  cavort on  or  glistening  water  to  snorkel in  in the  original meaning .:saai:

I'll just repeat what I said in another thread:

I've been to Pattaya many times with my family.  I live in Hua Hin an my kids love a trip to Pattaya.  There is much more to do outside of beach road.  For me there's the golf.  For the family, there's a number of theme parks, water parks, animal shows, dolphin shows, beaches, islands, some great markets and shopping, health spas, gymnasiums just to touch the surface.  The beach road and behind is what most people talk about and I guess there are expats that have lived there for years but never ventured outside of the 'red light' district.  Believe me, you can spend a couple of weeks there, doing something different every day without setting foot in the bar area.

Lots of people don't see this side of Pattaya because they've never looked.  Get off your bar stool and venture elsewhere.