Goodbye to Thailand (for a while maybe)

ELVIS123456

6 minutes ago, BKKBodhisattva said:

A lot of men take their young Thai wives back to their own country only to see them waltz off with a much younger, better-looking model.

Importing is just a bad idea because one just exposes their woman to younger men who didn't have to fly halfway around the world to find a wife or a girlfriend.

Those men will have as much if not more money and could have a lot more in common with her than the OP, especially if she's a good few years younger than he is.

Either way, OP, best of luck but, if she's even remotely attractive, don't be surprised if you end up cuckolded.

It would be a funny post if it wasn't so silly

11 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Different countries have different rules - I never get why this is a surprise to some people. 

It would be far stranger if all countries had the same set of rules... but I guess then people would complain about differing weather or food... or we could all just live in a bowl of milk... celebrate the difference.

That said, I hope your new life suits you better... 

And RIP to the jumper, such a shame. 

One more jumped today? 

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

I always wonder why I can shout from the rooftops that I don't like camping, or sushi or tutti fruity ice cream and nobody questions my IQ or my Mother's occupation.

But when someone (like me) says they have no plans to retire in Thailand, or are leaving for better circumstances, they come out of the woodwork to call us idiots.  

That is TV for you - - everyone gets called an idiot at some point... probably the same people who call all Thai people stupid... 

ps - if you are shouting that from the rooftops about tuti frutti, you can be sure some people are questioning your IQ...

have a good day and don't let it get to you... 

• Like 1

Its a fact that monkeys seldom let go of one branch until they have a firm grip on the next.

The same can be said of some relationships, the forums are full of such victims and each month sees a new twist on the story, kind of like the same tune but with different lyrics. Relationships are ultimately up to the two people involved and each will have their version of events, who is anyone to sit in judgement on what is right for anyone else. Hindsight is a wonderful thing 20/20 vision, but we can only do what we think is right on that day.

Good luck, whichever way you choose.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

Two years and she gives him the big heave ho. Stupid old man. And no  age pension after ten years of working. He act proud that he thinks he is goint to Oz to rip off us Oz taxpayers.

Care to expand on your comment.

17 hours ago, starky said:

All sounds so rosy what could possibly go wrong? Don't know much about it is its too many years away for me to worry about but I doubt if after working for 10 years the Aussie gov't is just going to let your missus flit off back to Thailand and live out her years on an Aussie pension. I am sure there are Aussies in Thailand who lived worked and paid taxes their whole lives who may have trouble doing that. I would love to hear from someone that actually knows the rules about receiving the pension whilst living overseas but knowing my government I am sure there would be a shit load of hoops to jump through. I'll be lucky to get my super little lone just kick back in Thailand while the Aussie gov't pays me to do <deleted> all.

It's all doable mate,but you gotta put in the hard yards and be a bit cunning.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, starky said:

I was being a bit tounge in cheek and I am well aware of Thais wording other Thais up on the ins and outs of being married to Aussie bloody 2 blokes in the first 5 posts had horror stories that should tell you something. Typical of our gov't. that Aussies have to fight for it while others can just take it back where they come from. As I said the way the rules are changing I'll be lucky to see my super and I think the retirement age for someone I'm my age bracket is 70 and rising..<deleted> that for a game of soldiers.

It is only 67,anything above is speculation.Super has and is working bloody well for me.Rent from house and super is what i live on and chuck in oap in a few years and that's more than enough for me.

10 hours ago, starky said:

I would love to pick your brain about all this stuff but as I am only 40 its a good 30 years ( plus however many times they change the rules before now and then) before I have to worry about it . Im a Sydney boy born an bred first vame here 98, been here full time since '04. When I say full time I mean 6 months as I work offshore. What intersets me is what you were saying about living the 2 years before getting the pension. Technically I dont live in either but I do spend just over 6 months of the year in Oz do you know if that qualifies me for " living" in Australia or would I have to leave the missus and kids and live on my ace in dreary old oz for 2 years. Like you I also fell in love with Thailand before my girl and I am in a remarkably similar situation to you except the glaringly obvious fact that you are retired and got to do it at 55. Lucky barstad haha. Congratulations and best of luck for you and the other half

I was in the same trip as you 2.Worked in Oz for a bit,then travelled the world til the money ran out,then back to work.Did that for twenty years.Then i realized i wanted to live in Thailand and had to knuckle down.Only took 15 years from zero to retired,paid a house off,plenty in super and plenty of spare cash.Still had my holidays,but only 6 weeks instead of 6 months,bit of lsl,so plenty of trips.The winner for me was when you could salary sacrifice heaps,now i'm getting it back tax free.I had to live like a monk in Oz,but i'm laughing now and my mates are still working.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Enoon said:

"Hasanyone ever heard of this, and all the other things, in another country?? "

'Fearless' British journalist committed suicide in airport toilet after - Mirror

LAX suicide: Horrified travelers, delays as victim jumps from departure ...

Young man commits suicide at airport in India - Khaleej Times

gulftoday.ae | Man commits suicide at airport

Ex-Student Commits Suicide at Airport | News | The Harvard Crim

No doubt that "other things", of one sort or another, will be waiting for you in your next dream destination.

Yah, but what you didn't mention is, all the unfortunate folks you posted on above had just returned from trips to Thailand when they decided to.... :tongue:

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Other people find out that all the stuff they're giving up by moving here was more important to them than they realized, especially in the long term.  Things like family, professional sports, concerts, rodeos, skiing, good public education, a functional legal system, the ability to make a few bucks on the side without fear of being deported, and on and on.

When I tally up Thailand's myriad of failings, I often tend to put not having a functional legal system right next to a lack of rodeos on my list.  :tongue:

There always are cock fights you can watch on local TV instead, however, if that's any kind of substitute.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

As far as residency goes, the golden rule from my understanding is, if you are out of the country (Australia) for more than 183 days, you are deemed a "non-resident", however there are exceptions, but to me it is a grey area, to others its as clear as daylight.

Now if you live here for say 6 months and 6 months in Australia and pay taxes under the Australian taxation system as a resident, i.e. you get the $18,200 threshold before you start paying tax, then I would say you have retained your residency, not to be confused with your citizenship which remains with you forever, that said, if you have a family here and the kids go to school here and they don't return with you to Australia every 6 months, you have just been taken out, because you cannot have two abode's, i.e. places of residency, now I did read somewhere in the legislation that an abode (where you normally reside), could be a park, now if that is in the legislation, that is of concern, because you would be up $hit creek trying to argue over that one.

If we assume your a non resident for tax purposes and I calculate back from age 40, i.e. you have been here since 2004, - 13 years, you would have been 27 at that time, now from age 16 to 27 you would have had 11 years credited to you as a resident in Australia, meaning that unless you spend any further years in Australia, when you reach the old pension age, providing they don't move the gold posts, you will receive roughly a 3rd of the pension, i.e. 11/35 years, however you would have to go back and collect it for 2 years once you reach the old age pension age which wouldn't be feasible, for what its worth, its not feasible for most who have to return, because of the cost of living, I mean your pension wouldn't even cover your rent for a one bedroom apartment in Sydney.

I can't see myself returning in 11 & a half years to get the pension, would have to shift funds, as they also take your assets, interest, shares into consideration to determine if you are entitled to the pension etc etc.

As for being a lucky bastard, I suppose there is some truth in that, i.e. being alive to live what I worked for, can't say the same for 3 of me mates who all went out before they hit 50, and of course I almost didn't make it, as I had a heart attack at 47, so yeh, I guess I am very lucky.

But without putting in the years f studying, the long hours working, looking for opportunities to invest in and keep going till the fruits become ripe, you will go backwards, because working, is for surviving, nothing else, and that isn't enough at times.

At 40 your still young and can make something in the next 15 years, unless you have an inheritance coming your way, if you haven't, which I didn't, you will have to be prepared to push yourself, or go backwards, and that isn't pretty from what I ave heard from some on TVF, and there's only one short cut that I know of in life, and that's to the grave 555  

Say for example Starky works another 20 years the same way he is now,that will be another 10 years on the counter for the pro rata,so maybe he can get up around the mid 20 years up.Then go back and do the 2 years of purgatory between 65 to 67 and theres another 2 years.Not easy but doable,depending on the job.

7 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

So I can deduce you really don't like Thailand then LOL. If you come here with an open mind, which unfortunately most don't having read posts like yours above. Then you may just make a decision based on facts and your own thoughts and experiencesee.  But all to often people come thinking they are open minded only to find they are in fact already damaged by posts they read on here and other sites. No matter what you think thoughts of the mostly bad  and anecdotal themes read will come to the surface. Impairing there judgment and sewing there real feeling its a shame. But things will never change now thanks to the Internet.  Hence my old saying now Not everything you read or see on the Internet is True.

That's true!

i just moved back to nz with my thai girl so our kids can go to school here. i am keeping her on a year by year visa and if things go bad i will take her back to thailand on a one way trip for a holiday. no way i want her to be a citizen to take half of my properties.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i just moved back to nz with my thai girl so our kids can go to school here. i am keeping her on a year by year visa and if things go bad i will take her back to thailand on a one way trip for a holiday. no way i want her to be a citizen to take half of my properties.

Typical man,screw the best out of the woman,but give them nothing in return.If Nz is similiar to Oz,your goose is already cooked,married or de facto.Those countries are not like Thailand where women get screwed over.Women have rights,whether you like it or not.Wait til she pulls the abused wife trick.Som num nar.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

The way you right this sounds like you are keeping her as a slave, and when you use her up throw her back but presumably keep the offspring. Ever heard of common law marriage I'm sure NZ has this too. So maybe it will be you thrown out when used up.

20 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Best wishes and good luck. I took my wife to Australia so she could qualify for citizenship and a passport etc. All you have to do is live together in Australia for 2 years, there are no English literacy tests for residency etc. 

Now we live in Thailand. Perhaps we will go back and live in Australia one day. It is all about keeping your options open. Good on you for giving your wife the opportunity of Australian citizenship.

Thai wife here in USA, I have a house, everyone happy. We may move back to Thailand after she gets citizenship. Maybe not. Maybe parttime. Maybe THailand for several years then back here. We shall see, life is a journey.

I want to ensure she has citizenship and all else fair game. For all I know, she may not like Thailand as much as USA, as long as she is raking in good money.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BKKBodhisattva said:

A lot of men take their young Thai wives back to their own country only to see them waltz off with a much younger, better-looking model.

Importing is just a bad idea because one just exposes their woman to younger men who didn't have to fly halfway around the world to find a wife or a girlfriend.

Those men will have as much if not more money and could have a lot more in common with her than the OP, especially if she's a good few years younger than he is.

Either way, OP, best of luck but, if she's even remotely attractive, don't be surprised if you end up cuckolded.

Can you find someone for my wife, she's putting on some of that Farang-food weight.

Just kidding. She's still my little teddy bear. Sweet, smart, attractive woman.

4 minutes ago, kunfish said:

Can you find someone for my wife, she's putting on some of that Farang-food weight.

Just kidding. She's still my little teddy bear. Sweet, smart, attractive woman.

I got one of those too, mind you my ex of 20+ years was one of those as well until one day she became..............smile3.gif

1 minute ago, transam said:

I got one of those too, mind you my ex of 20+ years was one of those as well until one day she became..............smile3.gif

Things do happen. Women mutate. Menopause, post-partum depression, just having a kid, something...

My wife was 38 when I met her, so I feel that's a good age when people hopefully have things sorted out and less likely to transform.

• Like 1