30 day extension on tourist visa

Did they mention that for an express fee of xx00 baht, it could be done immediately?

To help you out a bit,

Which immigration office (city, province)?

What is the country of the passport?

How many days did he have remaining on his current permission to stay stamp?

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Was it an extension of a 60 day tourist visa entry? I have to ask since people call a visa exempt entry at tourist visa and those from a bilateral agreement do not qualify for a 30 day extension.

I thought those who come in on Visa Exempt can apply for 30 day extension. 

Can you be more specific about the bilateral agreement and what qualifies? 

Is Bilateral Agreement a separate program?

Edited by 4evermaat

Such comments have been reported before. It wouldn't be surprising if they formally limit tourist visa extensions, for those staying long term, at some point in the future. For now it's entirely down to the office/officer processing the extension.

32 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

I thought those who come in on Visa Exempt can apply for 30 day extension. 

Can you be more specific about the bilateral agreement and what qualifies? 

Is Bilateral Agreement a separate program?

Yes it is. Those from certain countries get visa exempt entries from 14 to 90 days by way of a bilateral agreement. A bilateral agreement means Thais get the same entry to the country the bilateral agreement is with. Those with bilateral agreements also don't have the 2 entry limit at border crossings.

Only those under the normal visa exempt scheme can get a 30 day extension.

List of who gets what is here: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Which immigration office?

Was it an extension of a 60 day tourist visa entry? I have to ask since people call a visa exempt entry at tourist visa and those from a bilateral agreement do not qualify for a 30 day extension.

my friend is from england he went to the border mae sai is 60 days where finnished so he ask for an extra 30 which cost 1.900 baht but they said they dont do that anymore he would have to cross the border and get 30 days and he could only do this 2 times in 1 year

i will try to be more passific my friend is from england he had a tourist visa when he came to thailand he got 60 days he has just been to the immagration in mae sai and he wanted to pay 1.900 baht for an extra 30 days but they said he could not do that anymore he would have to cross the border and he would get 30 day stamp but he could only do 2 times in 1 year

11 minutes ago, Judy139139 said:

my friend is from england he went to the border mae sai is 60 days where finnished so he ask for an extra 30 which cost 1.900 baht but they said they dont do that anymore he would have to cross the border and get 30 days and he could only do this 2 times in 1 year

2 minutes ago, Judy139139 said:

i will try to be more passific my friend is from england he had a tourist visa when he came to thailand he got 60 days he has just been to the immagration in mae sai and he wanted to pay 1.900 baht for an extra 30 days but they said he could not do that anymore he would have to cross the border and he would get 30 day stamp but he could only do 2 times in 1 year

Did he to go to the immigration office near the crossing or did he try at immigration at the crossing.

There seems to be a little of mix up between your posts.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Did he to go to the immigration office near the crossing or did he try at immigration at the crossing.

There seems to be a little of mix up between your posts.

this i dont know i will try and find out my friend is what we call in england not a full shilling i just thought maybe they had changed the rules again becouse  they seem to be changing by the day

What you are asking CAN be done in Bangkok at Chaengwattena  immigration  for a 1900 Baht fee. You will need to copy your passport pages which can be done down on the copy shop on the ground floor.

Do not know if it still can be done at a border crossing, but it can be done in Bangkok immigration and quite possibly at other immigration offices around the country.

The last time I did one was in November 2016 in CW, 

In theory (contrary to the general impression) whether an extension of stay will be granted is at the discretion of the immigration official. As a practical matter, at most immigration offices, extensions to tourist entries are routinely granted. Certain offices (including, as @ubonjoe pointed out those at border crossings, do not process extensions, however.

I extended my SETV at Chaeng Wattana today as usual with no issues. For info - British Passport, SETV issued London, Long history of TH visas/stays. Arrived 08:15, walked out at 09:45 and that was being chilled/not rushing. Did not see anyone doing the same have any issues other than usual inappropriate dress or not having copies, TM7 etc prepared.