Thai Foreign Ministry fires back at critical Amnesty International report

webfact

Ministry fires back at critical Amnesty International report
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An Amnesty International report saying the junta had continued to restrict human rights for another year was discounted by the Foreign Affairs Ministry yesterday.

The 2016-2017 report, which was released on Wednesday, said the junta continued to punish and ban peaceful political dissent, prosecuted politicians and activists who were critical, and tortured and treated prisoners poorly.

The ministry said the report did not fully reflect positive developments in Thailand and added that the government was committed to the implementation of the “road map” towards achieving sustained democracy, social harmony and lasting stability. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307100

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-24

'The ministry said the report did not fully reflect positive developments in Thailand'

Ah, sort of paraphrasing an abusive stepfather. "Yea, I give 'em a slap if they get out of line. But I'm a good guy. I put food on the table and clothes on their back".

What a pity Amnesty International misunderstands that the junta “road map” towards achieving sustained democracy, social harmony and lasting stability requires the punishing and banning of peaceful political dissent, the prosecution of politicians and activists critical of the junta and the torturing and treating prisoners poorly. 

It is good that the Foreign Affairs Ministry brings them up to speed with a good verbal flogging.

"It said Thailand supported and valued freedom of expression and respected human rights in accordance with international practices, which was evident in the fact that the press can freely criticise the government."

That single statement proves Amnestys case. In the recent Constitution referendum, people were prohibited from criticising the document.

Only positive support for it was allowed. That isn't free speech.

Thailand has a very heavily censored press. International Newspapers have had whole columns left blank when being printed here, if the material was sensitive.

Amnesty are a pretty well respected organisation, whose reports are normally bang on the money.

Dismissing it so lightly shows once again the Thai disdain for anything that shows them to be acting poorly.

Can't lose face can we? Ignore it, deny it, and the problems will magically disappear.

One wonders how widely this will be reported in the Newspapers and TV here? Methinks not a lot.

Edited by darksidedog

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

'The ministry said the report did not fully reflect positive developments in Thailand'

Ah, sort of paraphrasing an abusive stepfather. "Yea, I give 'em a slap if they get out of line. But I'm a good guy. I put food on the table and clothes on their back".

It did however fully reflect the negative developments in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Becker said:

Could you be more specific or are you just trolling on behalf of the junta?

Just trolling on behalf of anti-democracy/anti-freedom of speech/political opinion/political association.

A lot of them turn up in Thailand.

It's their "haven".

Edited by Enoon

" It (the Foreign Affairs Ministry) said Thailand supported and valued freedom of expression and respected human rights in accordance with international practices, which was evident in the fact that the press can freely criticise the government. "

Right.  And if anyone dares publicly disagree with the government on this, they will be locked up or worse.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the government was committed to the implementation of the “road map” towards achieving sustained democracy, social harmony and lasting stability. 

Pretty much like Kim Jong-un's road map going through Seoul and the rest of South Korea.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Sad. AI haven't got a perfect record by a long shot. More of a political pressure group now. 

Of course it's a political pressure group.  It always has been.  It names and shames human rights violators.  Such as the junta.

On 2/24/2017 at 5:47 AM, jerojero said:

What road map? Sustained democracy? Load of crap.

I agree but also wonder if Thailand ever had a genuine democracy? The voice of the citizens were NEVER listened to or allowed to voice any opinions etc. How can a country have democracy without rule of law?