Japanese man flying Thai Smile says his money stolen from checked luggage

snoop1130

Japanese man flying Thai Smile says his money stolen from checked luggage

By Coconuts Bangkok

yen.jpg

Photo: Sanook

An elderly Japanese tourist filed a report with Suvarnabhumi Airport police yesterday, claiming his money was stolen from checked luggage on a flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.

Sato Shoji, 63, said his JPY100,000 cash (THB31,000) was stolen from his checked suitcase on Thai Smile flight WE161. His important documents were still intact, and only the money had disappeared.

Sato said he sought help from the Thai Smile staff, but they told him to go to the police himself and send them a complaint e-mail.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/japanese-man-flying-thai-smile-says-money-stolen-checked-luggage/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-2-24

Checked baggage screeners aka "treasure hunters" can see the micro thin metal embedded in many of the worlds currency.  Sophisticated x-ray machines can pick up most anything and you can be sure the "treasure hunters" have developed a keen eye watching out for :

1. Currency 

2. Precious metals

3. Cell phones and lap tops

4. Designer sunglasses 

5. Fire hazards 

6. Explosive devices

.....in that order of importance. 

51 minutes ago, flyingdoc said:

Why on earth would anyone put money in checked luggage?

Happens by accident sometimes. A few years ago I & TGF took a flight HatYai to BKK. I checked our bags in but didn't know that she had put her purse into her bag. When she told me I thought Oh &^%$# but it was too late. Got her bag at BKK and her purse was inside but missing the 3000 Bt I'd given her for spending money for the BKK trip. 

10 hours ago, Spaniel said:

His age is noted as 63.      Wonder why they refer to him as elderly?       I would consider 80+ as elderly.

So do I. But the Thais are among those who have yet to catch up with the wonders of longevity.

And in the interests of diplomacy, the media might think it better to describe some members of government as elderly rather than decrepit.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

Well,i have nothing but good to say about Thai Smile. My wife left her hand bag on a flight from BKK to KK airport,when we were coming back from Holiday.We got all the way home (some 35 Kliks) before she remembered it.We drove all the way back to the Airport, and it was on the reception desk waiting for us to pick it up.It had her Gold neclace, rings,bracelet, watch, my passport, and wallet,with 25,000 baht in it, and 15,000baht in her purse. An air crew lady had picked it up, after the  plane had emptied, and handed it in to the desk.We were astounded at our luck and her honesty.We weren't allowed to give her anything, but when we got outside, we called her over and Mrs Kaen Gave her 3000,baht.Ailines need more of those sort of people on their staff.God bless her.

On 2/25/2017 at 0:11 PM, flyingdoc said:

Why on earth would anyone put money in checked luggage?

As hes from Japan, he would be used to being able to leave valuables in unsecure places .

My friend flew from Japan to the UK with 5000 GBP worth of travelers cheques in a zipped up compartment on a suitcase m, they were unsigned by her as well .

Luckily, they didnt get stolen , 

No airline is responsible for valuable inside checked baggage specially money. They tourist must have been stupid enough to even send his or her important papers in checked baggage. I guess may be there is some insurance scam going on. Sometime back there was Swedish tourist in Pattaya who report to the police that two people took his money but then when police didn't find any evidence he had to tell them the truth that he did it to collect the money from insurance.