Cooking in apartment - is this allowed in most apartments without kitchen?

Hi all,

I have a food allergy to gluten - quite serious so street food is quite a risk. It's good for me to have the option to cook now.

My current accommodation has a balcony that most people cook on but it's a bit expensive and I'm looking for a new place for the next 7 months. As I'm visiting, it seems most apartments in my budget do not seem to be the most cooking friendly I'm trying to keep it under 8,000 baht/month (and 8,000 is pushing it) and within walking to MRT (can do BTS as well but MRT is much easier for work). Even 1 km. is a bit far for me because the heat, and I hate coming into work sweaty but I realize it may be something I have to do. Seems since Bangkok is an eating out culture, there isn't much in the way of kitchens unless you pay.

When I ask, I often get a "no cooking" or "nitnoy" as my answer. And I have yet to find a place with both decent balcony and sink. Literally all I need is a rice cooker/steamer, electric pan, and a sink. Just need to cook raw chicken and maybe make fried rice. 

So my question is....has anyone had issues with cooking inside when there is no kitchen? I assume it might be a smell or fire alarm issue or something. When cooking chicken there is definitely smoke and I don't want to risk trouble. Just wondering if anyone else has had experiences with this in searching for apartments. I came across a good one today, quite cheap, but they seemed very hesitant on the cooking. 

Also, do most apartments NOT come with a microwave? I'm coming across many that have nothing. 

EDIT: My pan is electric pan. Just plug into the wall. Of course, that still smokes when cooking so maybe that's issue, but nothing gas.

7 hours ago, blackcab said:

The standard Thai rental contract states no gas canisters or fires. Obviously, owners are concerned about the building going upon flames.

Most places have no problem with a rice cooker though. 

+1 cooking with electric is fine :thumbsup:

On 25/02/2017 at 7:03 PM, blackcab said:

The standard Thai rental contract states no gas canisters or fires. Obviously, owners are concerned about the building going upon flames.

Most places have no problem with a rice cooker though. 

Microwave either.

You might have to move a little further away, we had a cheap apartment 4,500B half way down Suk 71. Still managable with moto/buses/taxis but not close to BTS. 

Had a tiled sink area on the balcony, with a plug socket, and a sink. The only rule was no gas.

We had a small rack shelf with our own microwave, and kit - it's not too expensive to set yourself up here. 

Never mind anybodys rules, just use your own common sense.

That means it's ok to use a microwave, or boil anything.

I wish someone would invent a small portable microwave, it would be handy

for me on my motorbike road trips. And i certainly will not be asking anyones

permission to use it in a hotel room.

On 2/25/2017 at 8:51 PM, thedan663 said:

So it sounds alright. For reference, this is the electric pan I use to cook raw chicken. Just put in oil, cook it through. Some smoke of course, just hoping it doesn't set off a fire alarm.

Do you actually have a fire/ smoke alarm? 555 Good on you.

Discuss your concerns with your Thai friends.  Why do you think most Thais are so skinny? They only eat once or twice a week to avoid cooking problems in apartment blocks; they cook according to an informal roster agreed with other tenants. On off days they drink lots of liquids only, mixed with skin-whitening cream or powder. The desperate use 7-11 as required. Many Thais don't discuss such matters with Farangs because experience has taught them the common Farang reaction is shocked disbelief. It's something that can easily cause embarrassment.

^^^^ a lot of Thais in "condos" dont cook for themselves they get take away street food or mama noodles...saves having a refrigerator,microwave or electric stove all of which cost money to use....so just go outside and buy some 30 baht noodles instead.

41 minutes ago, johng said:

^^^^ a lot of Thais in "condos" dont cook for themselves they get take away street food or mama noodles...saves having a refrigerator,microwave or electric stove all of which cost money to use....so just go outside and buy some 30 baht noodles instead.

Blockage of arteries leading to heart disease and stroke is the number one combined cause of death in Thailand.

Watch out for street food that use and reuse cheap cooking oil.

Archived