Crazy queue at Suvarnabhumi Airport’s immigration causes travelers to miss flights

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The thread is about Bangkok airport. I don't think it's in UK.

My point is why do you have to through Immigration when leaving Thailand, your going gone, maybe never to come back again.

I have been going through BKK Aiport 4 times a year for years now and never seen any one being pulled for overstaying, why don't they just do random checks.

most overstayers go to the local Immigration to sort an overstay out.

I know of no other country where you go through an Immigration check point on exiting the country,.

if they weighed up the cost of staffing Immigration at BKK Airport against the fines they receive from overstayers I am sure there would be a big loss.

but hey this is Thailand I forgot.

7 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

My point is why do you have to through Immigration when leaving Thailand, your going gone, maybe never to come back again.

I have been going through BKK Aiport 4 times a year for years now and never seen any one being pulled for overstaying, why don't they just do random checks.

I know of no other country where you go through an Immigration check point on exiting the country,.

if they weighed up the cost of staffing Immigration at BKK Airport against the fines they receive from overstayers I am sure there would be a big loss.

Thats the reason that UK has absolutely no idea how many illegal overstayers they have. Thailand also issues different kinds of visas that can require checking in and out to remain valid.

Most overstayers don't go to the Imm' office to sort it out, it's quicker and easier to do at the airport. Last week at swampy there was a queue at the overstay counter including all nationalities.

One guy was due to pay 5000 and declared loudly I have no money so what can you do. The officer politely explained that he would hold him in the airport until he had money. A panic phone call to friend for a transfer to his bank was quickly done.

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Thats the reason that UK has absolutely no idea how many illegal overstayers they have. Thailand also issues different kinds of visas that can require checking in and out to remain valid.

I would think the number of people who intend to overstay in the the U.K. have no intention of leaving. Just look at the Immigration figures over the years and the number of people trying to gain entry illegally or otherwise. 

They very rarely detain Asylum Seekers in the U.K. and the majority just 'disappear.

Their not exactly camping on the borders of Thailand trying to gain entry like they do in Calais ?

1 hour ago, ICECOOL said:

I try to use Don Mueng where possible. In or out for the past few years there is very little delay. 

And if you book to arrive in Thailand at DM with a boarding pass to Phuket, Chiang Mai etc., you go to a special transit immigration area, normally just you or perhaps 1 or 2 other passengers, all done in 1 or 2 minutes. 

1 hour ago, jamie2009 said:

Well lots of terrorism and similar world wide at the moment.

Would you like to think that your home country is serious about knowing who is coming in and going? 

Given of course that there must be folks, everywhere who know how to slip and in slip out without going through passport formalities. 

I've worked or traveled in at least 30 countries, I've never left a country without going through passport 'out' stamping. 

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The advantage of business class is that you get off first [well after first class] and most of those in there tend to be slowish walkers.

I'm quite nippy and get to fast track way ahead of my fellow travellers.

Never had to wait behind more than 2 people and only that number once.

hmm I well remember it when travelling for the Firm I worked for before retiring and it is with some unrestrained envy that I observe you

you did it and still you persist

23 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Its because tourism is booming.

Long lines are a sign of that.

Realy no excuse as long as not all counters are open. Spend less for tourism advertisement and engage a few more staff, that would help tourism more and aviod stress in a country that stands for relaxed vacations.

On 2/27/2017 at 5:24 PM, docphil said:

Yes you cannot you can prove that you're family. Bring a copy of your marriage certificate

Out of curiosity how did you get married to a Thai with a non immigrant visa?

I got married to a Thai with a retirement Visa.

Seems  to be  no consistency. My last time  through Swampy inbound  approx  0.30 pm every  immigration desk  was  open and the  queue was still horrendus .

It  may be that  policy  is  to provide  first  for  incoming  potential  spenders in priority of  the  depleted  departing   players.

But to  be  fair it would  not  be  sometimes  so easy  to  accommodate departing  and  arriving  with services provided  with  competent  Immigration staff if  the  services  required  for a few  hours  exceeded  capacity.

Immigration  personnel  need  to  be  fully trained  to  understand what they do  ( No?) Unlike  a  restaurant  or  shopping   mall  on a featured  day who  can maybe  employ   temporary  staff Immigration  has a  specific  pool  of   Officers.

I  am usually  impressed  by their overall  attitude  of  professional correctness  and boredom . They  probably  have the  reserved  right  to loathe  and  hate   Tourists!  :stoner:

19 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Because I am more than 70 I can use the Fast Channel at Immigration upon arrival / is there a similar fast channel at departure?

Yes there is, located close to the escalators up to regular security you will see "Premium Lane" signed (same floor as check in).  If they will let you in or not for being 70+ I have no idea.

8 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

You obviously haven't travelled too many countries nearby. They all stamp you in & out. Even when I go to Oz, my passport is scanned coming in & also when leaving, but no stamps...

6 minutes ago, Chama1 said:

I had an emergency come up that caused me to overstay by one day. I cost me 500B. That was before the blacklist came about.

They shouldn't charge you for just one day, it's free of charge. Been there, done that, I also did a little longer overstay so I know the difference.

I am thinking of picking up a couple of Fast Track vouchers from fasttrackcoupon.blog.fc2.com.

From what I can see they are legit but it appears they are supposed to have the flight number and airline stamp on there, which clearly isn't going to be possible unless it's just something added at random or left blank.

Basically, I want to keep these to hand in case I get to arrivals and find long queues, which I find uncomfortable/stressful, particularly after a long flight from Europe. Otherwise, I shall probably just book a firm pick-up with BFS (though I don't need their add-ons).

Do these Fast Track vouchers also work in departures and if so, are they of any practical use or is it a free-for-all (which appears to be the case)??!

I'm next arriving into BKK from LHR in early April after 3pm and I understand there is some runway maintenance for a period of 60 days. Anyone aware of rumours that some flights may be operated from U-Tapao instead during this period?