Broke Bird: Nok Air lost 3 billion baht in 2016

webfact

Broke Bird: Nok Air lost 3 billion baht in 2016

By Coconuts Bangkok 

co4.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Nok Air can’t seem to turn its poor financial situation around. The company lost a record THB3.28 billion in 2016, it was recently revealed. This makes it the only airline listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand to be operating at a loss.

Though a loss was expected for the company last year, it was larger than anticipated due to pumped-up operation costs and a decrease in income due to issues with their pilots in early 2016.

The loss was an astonishing 98 percent higher than 2015’s losses of THB1.66 billion

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/broke-bird-nok-air-lost-3-billion-baht-2016/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-03-02

1 hour ago, swissmaninthailand said:

What about air Asia?

Profit at Thai AirAsia more than doubled to 1.8 billion baht.  Bangkok Airways profit fell slightly to also about 1.8 billion baht and Thai made a small profit following a very large loss in 2015.

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

While I will feel sympathy for the employees of this organisation, I won't be surprised when they finally go under.

.....Which will be a shame. I always preferred Nokair to Airasia. No one has mentioned Lionair which, with their rock bottom inclusive prices must have taken most of their business on the major routes?

1 minute ago, SunsetT said:

.....Which will be a shame. I always preferred Nokair to Airasia. No one has mentioned Lionair which, with their rock bottom inclusive prices must have taken most of their business on the major routes?

And to add to their woes Vietjet have now entered the domestic routes in Thailand. 

16 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Swapped from Nok to Lion Air more than  year ago, Lion staff very focused, great service, staff are good listeners, website very easy to use and to get information, the full total fare comes up immediately on screen, no surprise add-ons, and of course many great promotions and (at least so far) 15K free check-in luggage.

Nok - negatives all round, staff attitude is customers are a nuisance, ask a question at boarding gate; e.g  - 'Is departure delayed?', if they stop chatting and playing with smartphones likely to be 'mai phen rai', or 'mai loo' and continue chatting with friends. Staff at check-in have little to zero knowledge of Nok Fan Club, Nok SMile Club. Boarding pass and ID and photo almost never checked. Last flight I took with them to Vietntam they made no check whatever of boarding pass and ID. An old Thai lady in front of me asked 'why are you not checking ..... ?  Abrupt answer; 'it doesn't matter because this flight is going outside of Thailand'. Previous flight to Vietnam at boarding gate I asked 'why no check?' Answer' 'not your business'. Ask 2 staff about their travel insurance and get 2 completely different answers.

Edited by scorecard

I swapped from Nok to Lion Air more than  year ago, Lion very focused staff, great service, if you call them they actually listen, website very easy to use and to get information, the full total fare comes up immediately on screen, no surprise add-ons, and of course many great promotions and (at least so far) 15K free check-in luggage.

And a brand new fleet
I always fly with them if I can.

9 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Shame if they go under. I've flown them lots of times and always though they were good value. 

It is entirely their own fault, incompetence and ignorance.

CEO too busy with "social media events" instead of governing his Co

the nail in the coffin will now be the fact that they started to charge extra for luggage when they were actually famous for having luggage included in the price. They are usually the most expensive Airline in Thailand now.

Thai Lion is having a blast !

On 3/3/2017 at 10:51 AM, Brer Fox said:

And to add to their woes Vietjet have now entered the domestic routes in Thailand. 

That's nice to know. More choice, although last VietJet flight I was on was cancelled and then the next one was late leaving. It was more pleasant than AirAsia though, maybe more legroom

On 02/03/2017 at 2:28 PM, dinsdale said:

Headline should read "Thai junta loses THB4 billion. Sorry need to put the price of EVERYTHING UP. Submarines, tanks, helicopters, jets, our pockets, very expensive."

This countries going broke folks.

Seriously?

It is broken all over