Buying a new car . . . or not !

Grumpy Old Man

I would like to share my experience of trying to buy a new car. . . . Or not !

For the last few months I've been thinking of getting a new vehicle; I'd even posted a topic on the "Thai Visa Forum" asking for advise and I received excellent replies and advice on the subject . . Thank you for that !

I spent time deciding on what vehicle would best suit my requirements, the running costs Etc. any additional options, the budget available and I decided on a Toyota Hilux Revo 2.4G 4x4.

Now it was off to a recommended Toyota dealership with a bilingual and technically minded Thai friend; after the very polite greeting from the reception staff and explaining that we are here to discuss the purchase of the for mentioned vehicle we were show to a seating area and told a sales representative would be with us very shortly.

The Toyota sales representative very politely introduced himself but unfortunately he spoke very little to no English and this is where my bilingual and technically mined Thai friend came in very useful; after approximately two hours of being shown all the vehicle details, the options extras available, going out in their full option prepared demonstration vehicle and negotiation on the total purchase price we finally settled on a fair price for the vehicle which included a cash discount and added no cost options to the value of 180,000-00 Baht; I was very pleased with the negotiated deal and it was now time to complete the formal order form and pay the agreed deposit of 100,000-00 Baht and this is where things didn't go as planned ! ! !

The Toyota sales representative gave the formal order for to my Thai friend, who then passed it to myself and I started to fill in my details including passport / Visa / extension to stay and yellow book details for vehicle delivery Etc.

There was a conversation between the sales representative and my Thai friend before my friend told me that the sales representative thought the vehicle was being purchased by my Thai friend and the negotiated price and options was for THAI PEOPLE ONLY and he can not offer this to a foreigner, that was a kick in the nut sack !

I was advised that a Thai person / friend could buy the vehicle for me but the legal owner would be the Thai person; as if that was going to happen, I don't trust anyone that much as to let them legally own my 850,000-00 Baht vehicle.

Even being fully prepared for the challenge of buying a new vehicle I didn't see that one coming ! !        

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well as they say this is Thailand.... I too would have been rather gob smacked with that revelation. Maybe try another Toyota outlet?  Sounds like a real load of porkies to me but then not much surprises me here nowadays.

Sometimes it is very hard to give them money!  You nearly have to force them to take it,,,, crazy stuff.

31 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Why buy new ? Plenty of low mileage vehicles around,mostly repossessions,save yourself a bundle

My old neighbour bought a brand new pick up. When it came time to change the running-in oil, they decided to save a few baht by doing it themselves. They were then most-surprised when the dealer refused to change the now-ruined engine under warranty. Personally I'd buy new.

59 minutes ago, taotoo said:

My old neighbour bought a brand new pick up. When it came time to change the running-in oil, they decided to save a few baht by doing it themselves. They were then most-surprised when the dealer refused to change the now-ruined engine under warranty. Personally I'd buy new.

And that sort of hits the nail on the head why reposessions are not a certainty.  People who cannot buy outright get loans, People that have loans have to make the payments.  They often do this at the expense of proper or regular servicing, and use cheap or inferior parts, and use mechanics that are not up to scratch on new vehicles.  They get driven over crap roads by crap drivers that may or may not have a license to drive in the first place.......and then they get reposessed.  Most reposessions I have seen have not had any service logs with them a all and often just new books.  

Besides the Toyota Sure dealers (which are not Repos) I am not sure who I would trust here as far as recent used vehicles.

Edited by mamborobert

There are pros and cons with both buying new or second hand.  Buying second hand may save you $$$ initially but that can all change if you don't know the maintenance history of the vehicle.  The bargain may end up being a can of worms.

New vehicles tend to depreciate the most.... not so bad in Thailand I must admit (When compared to NZ).

As goes the saying.... Buyer beware.

In relation to doing your own oil changes, yes one has to be wary of the small print with new vehicles and warranties.  Its not a difficult task but if companies can get out of 'paying out' albeit on a technicality then they will.  And as vehicles become more and more technical then perhaps our 'preventative maintenance' isn't as good as it once was. 

Edited by CMKiwi

I'm not sure what Toyota dealership you went to but Toyota Nakornping has a young sales guy there who speaks excellent English. He explained to me that he was employed to deal with any Farang customers that came in. He understood that it was me who was making a purchase, not my wife and he dealt with me accordingly. The dealership is located on the 108 south of CM near the major intersection with Big C/ Homepro on your left if you are traveling south.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Well now you know the real price I would insist on it and pay nothing more.

It doesn't make one bit of difference to Toyota who they're selling the car to, they don't care.

The only difference will be the registration form which requires slightly different documentation for proof of address / ID for a foreigner.

If I were you I would contact someone reasonably senior like a sales director at Toyota Thailand and enquire about this dual pricing policy to check that it really exists.

16 hours ago, taotoo said:

Am I the only one who doesn't understand this story?

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

for 180,000 off sticker price I woulda bought it the Thai's name and when the book shows up transfer it to your name.

Thats an amazing discount though.

Is the 180,000 baht including the cash discount, or just the free options?

Edited by giddyup

If you are in the dealership and get that response then insist on getting a named person to write to at Toyta head office for your complaint letter. You will find that the dealership really really hates customers writing to head office and after they are sure you are not joking could well change their attitude. 

This approach worked for me and a 2,000 Baht service charge disappeared. For me it was not the money but the principle. 

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Never heard of a discount that high at Toyota...They are usually not willing to price reduce by mega dosh...

it appears to be a cash discount and freebies which total 180k and value.

Most likely 20k cash discount and free insurance(50k)/ window tint (50k)/ floor mats(30k) and weathershields(30k).... :cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by Don Mega

29 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Is the 180,000 baht including the cash discount, or just the free options?

The 180,000 Baht was the total for CASH discount and OPTIONS fitted free of cost !

IE. I year first class insurance

Window film

Pickup liner tub

Pickup lid

Assorted body options

All registration fees

Delivery in Thailand mainland

Extra protection mats

I think that was about it. . . . . . 

33 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you are in the dealership and get that response then insist on getting a named person to write to at Toyta head office for your complaint letter. You will find that the dealership really really hates customers writing to head office and after they are sure you are not joking could well change their attitude. 

This approach worked for me and a 2,000 Baht service charge disappeared. For me it was not the money but the principle. 

The dealership was a privately owned Toyota dealership not a franchise and therefore it's like any other private trading company they can buy and sell at how they please. . . . . . 

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

The 180,000 Baht was the total for CASH discount and OPTIONS fitted free of cost !

IE. I year first class insurance

Window film

Pickup liner tub

Pickup lid

Assorted body options

All registration fees

Delivery in Thailand mainland

Extra protection mats

I think that was about it. . . . . . 

Must have been a very big cash discount and or options have increased a lot in cost since I last bought........

Is the pickup lid a hard electric one or some sort of roller?

Just now, topt said:

Must have been a very big cash discount and or options have increased a lot in cost since I last bought........

Is the pickup lid a hard electric one or some sort of roller?

The lid is a multi stage electric lid, remote control option, body colour Etc.

100,000 Baht Cash discount from sticker price

It doesn't take long to spend 80,000 Baht in options when you consider a Toyota liner tub is approx 6000 Baht . . . . First class insurance is 22000 Baht . . . . Pickup lid approx 27000 Baht . . . . External and internal options . . . . 

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

It doesn't take long to spend 80,000 Baht in options when you consider a Toyota liner tub is approx 6000 Baht . . . . First class insurance is 22000 Baht . . . . Pickup lid approx 27000 Baht . . . . External and internal options . . . . 

Can you tell me THEIR book price for the ride was, then we can see if that price was jacked up and so the big reduction..

They don't like cash buyers as they make money from credit.

18 hours ago, mamborobert said:

And that sort of hits the nail on the head why reposessions are not a certainty.  People who cannot buy outright get loans, People that have loans have to make the payments.  They often do this at the expense of proper or regular servicing, and use cheap or inferior parts, and use mechanics that are not up to scratch on new vehicles.  They get driven over crap roads by crap drivers that may or may not have a license to drive in the first place.......and then they get reposessed.  Most reposessions I have seen have not had any service logs with them a all and often just new books.  

Besides the Toyota Sure dealers (which are not Repos) I am not sure who I would trust here as far as recent used vehicles.

That is why you only buy 2nd hand vehicles that have a full service history. This service history can be verified at a vehicle agency as all services are recorded on their respective systems. 

2 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

That is why you only buy 2nd hand vehicles that have a full service history. This service history can be verified at a vehicle agency as all services are recorded on their respective systems. 

Do they record crash damage repairs...?

Give them 10 minutes to change their mind and if no change,you know where the door is.You have the power,not them,use it.Leave your phone number and tell them you are ringing,emailing and letter writing to head office.That last one has worked several times when i have helped mates.You just have to go over their headsThese salesmen are not your friends,be ruthless.Screwing over is not a one way street and they will never sell at a loss,just diminished profit.Being using this tactic in Asia for 40 years.Don't waste your breath on the underlings,they are on commission.What ever the top dude says,goes,usually in your favour. Chogdee.

19 hours ago, taotoo said:

Well he did buy new didn't he,but voided the warranty,cheap charlie pays in the end.

28 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

If you can replicate that deal for a "foreign" price then you have done very well :thumbsup: