Bangkok's Dusit Thani Hotel gets date with wrecking ball

webfact

Bangkok's Dusit Thani Hotel gets date with wrecking ball

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

Dusit-Thani-696x599.jpg

Photo : Dusit Thani Bangkok Hotel

BANGKOK — A shopping mall, condos, green space and more are coming to replace a 47-year-old landmark on the corner of Silom Road, which will be redeveloped into a mixed-use property, the Dusit Thani Group announced Monday.

Once the tallest building in Thailand, the Dusit Thani Hotel will be demolished and replaced with a complex consisting of a hotel, residences, an office space, a shopping mall and green space, according to the announcement. The 36-billion baht project is a partnership between the hotel group and Central Pattana, which owns 30 shopping malls nationwide under the Central brand.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2017/03/07/bangkoks-dusit-thani-hotel-gets-date-wrecking-ball/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-07

1 hour ago, Thainess said:

Finally, Bangkok is going to get a decent shopping mall. Other cities have had them since the 1970s!

That has to be satire.  :smile:

But it really brings a tear to my eye to lose is just a few years two icons of Bangkok; the Siam Intercontinental Hotel and now the Dusit Thani.  I was here when the Dusit opened and it was the building landmark of Bangkok for decades.

40 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But it really brings a tear to my eye to lose is just a few years two icons of Bangkok; the Siam Intercontinental Hotel and now the Dusit Thani.  I was here when the Dusit opened and it was the building landmark of Bangkok for decades.

First hotel I stayed in here. In 1975

What a location. How large do you think the green space will be?  My guess about 10 sq meters or so.  Or after final approvals etc. some head honcho will say " green space now across the street called Lumpini" 

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

when I was visiting Bangkok last week just for the day I noticed another icon just opposite the Dusit -the Robinson department store also looked like it was being slowly demolished. Does anyone know what is happening with that building?

It's not that we really need another block of condos or yet another shopping mall, imho, but having stayed at this pig sty more than once it is an overpriced creaking wreck of a place that needs a wrecking ball…and I don;t care how many famous people stayed there.

Nor do I care how many famous or infamous people stayed there (although that might better be asked of the old Oriental or Erawan) - but it was and is a unique building with a long history - the building photo itself says Bangkok around the world.  It is a shame that building life is so short here and no effort ever seems to be made to preserve/maintain.   

Judging by other much smaller recent demolitions, I wonder how many workers will lose their lives during the work?  Might I suggest that they start demolishing from the top downwards, particularly in a confined space, since the top floors seem to have a habit of falling down on the workers when they demolish the ground floor and foundations first.

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Watched them build it, bamboo scaffolding and all