Phuket tourists can bring sun loungers, umbrellas to beaches, say officials

snoop1130

Phuket tourists can bring sun loungers, umbrellas to beaches, say officials

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1488890361_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Tourists can bring their own sun loungers and umbrellas to Patong and all beaches in Kata and and Karon, The Phuket News has confirmed. However, they must use them inside the “10% zones” reserved for vendors.

“This applies to expats and Thais, too, of course. They can bring own sun loungers and umbrellas, and not rent from a vendor, but they must keep them inside the zones,” Mayor Chalermluck told The Phuket News today (Mar 7).

Complaints about any incidents with beach vendors about planting your own umbrella or sun lounger inside the zones are to be directed to Patong Municipality, Mayor Chlaermluck added.

“Please inform ours public relations office of any complaints by calling 076-344275. I have already informed them to record all complaints,” she said.

The same applies at all beaches in Kata and Karon, confirmed Rachen Phuntarakit, the Chief Administrative Officer (Palad) for Karon Municipality.

“This will make it very tight inside the 10% zones, but this is the best we can do for now,” he said.

“I have spoken to the vendors (at beaches in Kata and Karon) about this, so there should be no problems,” Mr Rachen added.

Likewise, any complaints about beach vendors in Kata and Karon are to be direct to Karon Municipality by calling 076-330186.

“Please call to Karon Municipality and ask the operator to connect you with an officer from our legal division,” he said.

The Phuket News notes that the Tourist Police hotline 1155 also has volunteer translators for many languages, including Russian and Chinese.

“Later, we might suggest to the provincial beach management committee to allow tourists to bring their own sun loungers and umbrellas and use them outside the zones – but that has not yet been confirmed and will happen until after this one-month trial has concluded,” Mr Rachen explained.

“So for now all sun loungers sand umbrellas – even those brought by tourists – must stay inside the 10% zones. New signs will be posted to explain this to tourists,” he said.

Vendors renting out sun loungers and umbrellas are permitted to place only two lines of sun loungers on the sand and also must remain within the 10% zones, Mr Rachen noted.

The news comes after sun loungers and beach umbrellas were allowed back at Kata Beach, Kata Noi Beach, Karon Beach and Karon Noi Beach (also called Relax Bay, in front of Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, over the weekend.

The rolling out of the return of the sun loungers was conducted under the watchful eyes of soldiers from the Royal Thai Army.

“The army will be keeping a close eye on the vendors, and will return to inspect all beaches about once a month,” Mr Rachen said.

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-3-7

6 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The rolling out of the return of the sun loungers was conducted under the watchful eyes of soldiers from the Royal Thai Army.

“The army will be keeping a close eye on the vendors, and will return to inspect all beaches about once a month,” Mr Rachen said.

Hmm.. OK. 

The beach and transportation businesses used to be infested with corruption. I thought there was the reason to stop their overly aggressive behaviour. This was done by military.

Now we are reading how Uber and Grap have been targeted in Bangkok for competing against the taxi companies.

At the same timespan we are reading how beach chairs are allowed to come back to Phuket beaches.

Btw. When did Patong mayor changed from Ketshup (sorry I can't remember her correct name, this was which I used to remember it) to Chalermluck?

20 minutes ago, Cuchulainn said:

Tourists are going to pack a sunbed and beach umbrella into their suitcases at home then before flying to Thailand?

Exactly, who carries a big ass'd freakin' umbrella and sun-lounger with them on holiday? Strewth! So many rules & regs nowadays. Understand about sorting out the grubby vendors, but it's just nuts. Singapore-style tactics minus the quality. :whistling: I think tourists will eventually get cheesed off with the place and head next door to 'Nam.

9 hours ago, oilinki said:

Btw. When did Patong mayor changed from Ketshup (sorry I can't remember her correct name, this was which I used to remember it) to Chalermluck?

The mayor's full name is Chalermluck Kebsup (with a variety of spellings on the surname). Given and surnames seem to be used interchangeably by the media.

People are going to spend a wedge of money on a large umbrella and lounger and then just leave it when they head home? :huh:

Yes, happens all the time. And really not expensive.

sent using Tapatalk

One step forward and one step back.

I haven't looked but I'd imagine the 10% zones are already packed with sunbeds and umbrellas. If there's any room for tourists' own items I'd be very surprised.

And who wants to sit on the most crowded part of the beach when a five minute walk can take you to a quieter part, provided it's not the empty part of the beach commandeered as a parasailing landing area (at Karon these are areas larger than the "10% zones)!

Many see the army as Phuket's last hope.

While Patong, as well as several other municipalities have elected government officials, these towns are really run by a criminal element.

History has shown time and time again, that the police and government officials (elected or otherwise) at all levels, cannot or will not eradicate Phuket's controlling criminal element. There's just too much corruption and intimidation in play.

10% zone. How do you know you are in it? Is there a yellow line like at BTS with a uniformed guard and a whistle? What's the fine if you are outside for foreigner and forThai? What about sun lotion, can you bring and apply your own inside and outside the zone? Did you all think this through? I have so many questions. What if it's raining - will the whistle still work?

Sums up many things about this country. They are using the army to enforce a bye law about umbrellas on a public beach. How about teaching people to respect the law instead of having to enforce the law with troops! 

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, happens all the time. And really not expensive.

sent using Tapatalk

I sort of agree as I used to buy various things on holiday and leave them in the hotel room when the holiday ended.

A sun-lounger and large shade umbrella would be a step too far, not because of the cost - but they're big and heavy, so not suitable for 'lugging' about!

I like to whine about everything around me as much as the next man since I obviously know best, but does anyone seriously really care that much about these sun loungers being there or not?

I don't go to the beach much but when I do I always rent a chair & umbrella and sit down and order something to drink. I've never felt there was anything wrong about it.

On the contrary I wouldn't even bother going to the beach if I couldn't pay for some shade since I don't want to look like a raisin when I'm old(er).

1 hour ago, Stanley78 said:

I like to whine about everything around me as much as the next man since I obviously know best, but does anyone seriously really care that much about these sun loungers being there or not?

I don't go to the beach much but when I do I always rent a chair & umbrella and sit down and order something to drink. I've never felt there was anything wrong about it.

On the contrary I wouldn't even bother going to the beach if I couldn't pay for some shade since I don't want to look like a raisin when I'm old(er).

"I like to whine about everything around me as much as the next man since I obviously know best, but does anyone seriously really care that much about these sun loungers being there or not?"

Good point :lol:!

I gather a few ex-pats enjoy walking on these beaches in tourist areas frequently - and are bad-tempered at the way sunbeds and umbrellas detract from the natural beauty.

Edited by dick dasterdly

6 hours ago, Stanley78 said:

I became bored with the beach after a few years and rarely bother now. Last time I went to my local, Nai Harn, I was truly shocked to see every square inch of that little beach covered with mostly unoccupied sun lounger, when for many years they were confined to the main entrance.

There are those who will laud this decision, but in my long experience of the ineptitude, corruption and pure lack of resolve exhibited by all administrations of this country, have no doubt whatsoever it will continue its downward spiral along with the rest of the shit. What a waste of a country.

14 hours ago, gravity101 said:

I'll give it a week before I hear of some tourists being threatened by the rental crowd for erecting their umbrella in front of the rental ones. Not a chance they will allow that to happen.

You mean jailed or bailed don't you

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:35 AM, Cuchulainn said:

Tourists are going to pack a sunbed and beach umbrella into their suitcases at home then before flying to Thailand?

You beat me to it.  I am fine with having to pay for a rental and just couldn't quite sort out how the lounger ban came about.  I also am glad there are some exemptions for locals that may bring their own hardware.

25 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

You beat me to it.  I am fine with having to pay for a rental and just couldn't quite sort out how the lounger ban came about.  I also am glad there are some exemptions for locals that may bring their own hardware.

Many people at the beaches with own umbrellas and loungers or inflatables.