Scavenger killed by RPG salvaged from weapons range in Korat

webfact

Scavenger killed by RPG salvaged from weapons range

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

RPG-training-696x439.jpg

Paramilitary rangers fire RPGs in an anti-vehicle military drill. Image: Chainarong Parabab / YouTube

NAKHON RATCHASIMA — An army spokesman on Wednesday urged people to stop foraging for scrap metal on land reserved for live-fire weapons drills following the death of a scavenger in the northeast earlier this week.

Scavenging on military weapons ranges is blamed for deaths nearly every year, including that of a 54-year-old Korat man who became the latest to die on Sunday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/03/08/rpg-salvaged-weapons-range-explodes-killing-scavenger/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-08

"Sorasat Panichapakmonchai said his brother Saithong was among a group of locals who made a living by selling scrap metal, especially copper, retrieved from the army site. "

So are we to read "scavenged"  and "retrieved" as 'removed without permission' [there is another word but I hesitate to use it} from private property?

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

"Sorasat Panichapakmonchai said his brother Saithong was among a group of locals who made a living by selling scrap metal, especially copper, retrieved from the army site. "

So are we to read "scavenged"  and "retrieved" as 'removed without permission' [there is another word but I hesitate to use it} from private property?

Because old bullets should stay buried in mud forever just as a matter of principle. I grew up near a firing range, local kids would go and dig up old bullets, no one ever thought to call them thieves, perhaps because that would have been a pathetic way to think.

7 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Because old bullets should stay buried in mud forever just as a matter of principle. I grew up near a firing range, local kids would go and dig up old bullets, no one ever thought to call them thieves, perhaps because that would have been a pathetic way to think.

And yet...

" the restricted area"

Though you might want to consider why I didn't or at least hesitated to use the words thief or steal.

Nah, that's not your style is it...

Edited by Bluespunk

2 minutes ago, djinn said:

darwinism....

At 54 years of age it is possible he has already bred, not that evolution has much chance of parenting this type of death that is born more out of the desperation of poverty than stupidity.

29 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

And yet there is someone with that mindset out there after all, so glad there wasn't in my village.

What a mindset that recognises that restricted means restricted?

How odd you find that unacceptable.

33 minutes ago, djinn said:

darwinism....

''He said Saithong had been in the business 20 years and was sometimes injured when things he scavenged would explode. In fact, Sorasat said, his brother only had two fingers left on one of his hands. ''

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

What a mindset that recognises that restricted means restricted?

How odd you find that unacceptable.

A mindset that feels the need to point out that a way that some of the poorest people eek out a living in this part of the world is technically theft.  So is picking plastic bottles out of the bin by the way, do you also feel the need to point out that crime?

Edited by Shawn0000

As a kid my friends and I used to go to the firing rang to collect spent bullets and cases but we made sure that no one was there to shoot! Later in the army I learned to stay out of live fire ranges as there might be unexploded ordinances. We cleared an area of less than a square kilometer and we ended up with over a metric ton of unused ordinances but all live unexploded ordinances we found were detonated on the spot either by shooting them or with the help of TNT and always a minimum 200m buffer zone... I could feel the pressure wave from the largest bomb we exploded even thou we had a 1500m buffer zone between us and the blast!

So my advice is to stay away because unexploded ordinances might kill you and/or your family if you bring them home.

27 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

A mindset that feels the need to point out that a way that some of the poorest people eek out a living in this part of the world is technically theft.  So is picking plastic bottles out of the bin by the way, do you also feel the need to point out that crime?

Again do I have to point out to you that I did not use that word for good reason?

Well obviously I do.

Question was rhetorical...

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So the soldier that fired the RPG,when it did not explode he just left

it where it landed, I just fire them ,sort of attitude.

regards Worgeordie

If it didn't detonate when fired on a live range then it's not really a good idea to 'go have look why' it's best left alone. It might just go bang an hour or day later.

A live range is somewhere well sign posted and should not be entered except maybe by UXB experts who might do a clean up at times.

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

On first reading of the headline I thought the scavenger was salvaged. I suppose lack of commas can confuse.

It would be adding a comma that would give the meaning you took, the lack of comma leaves no ambiguity in this case.

As a teenager on a class trip to Gettysburg was told by the tour guide that while the battlefields were still littered with munitions 100+ years later, don't touch anything you may find as you may end up losing body parts or a life. I would think that an active range would have fencing with razor wire surrounding it to discourage this type of behavior..... Perhaps it does but some find ways around it.

21 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Many of these so called "Scavengers" pay the local milixary guards to collect the medal  from the area.  

2 hours ago, kamahele said:

As a teenager on a class trip to Gettysburg was told by the tour guide that while the battlefields were still littered with munitions 100+ years later, don't touch anything you may find as you may end up losing body parts or a life. I would think that an active range would have fencing with razor wire surrounding it to discourage this type of behavior..... Perhaps it does but some find ways around it.

I grew up near one and it had no fence at all, you could walk right in, and that was in the "nanny state" UK.  Also there is a national park in the UK with live firing and even bombing that allows people to walk through those areas when they are not firing, there used to be an unexploded bomb stuck in the ground that walkers used as a way marker. 

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, IMA_FARANG said:

People seem to think that unexploded RPG rounds are just toys or scrap to collect.

That's foolish, they are explosives designed to explode and kill.

Only an idiot would cut or bang such unexploded rounds

Remember this from a couple of years back?

WWII Bomb Explodes In Bangkok, At Least 7 Scrap Workers Killed

BANGKOK, April 2 (Reuters) - A suspected World War II bomb exploded in the Thai capital as scrap metal workers tried to cut it open with a blow torch, killing at least seven people and injuring 19, police said.

[..]

“The explosion created a three-meter deep crater.”

Pools of blood and body parts were scattered on the floor of the warehouse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/02/wwii-bomb-bangkok_n_5075197.html

There was more to the story in that a very old lady who lives nearby saw what they were doing and went to warn them. They wouldn't listen so she hurried back, grabbed her sister and left the area. Shortly after, the bomb went off and took out half the block.

On 3/8/2017 at 7:14 PM, worgeordie said:

So the soldier that fired the RPG,when it did not explode he just left

it where it landed, I just fire them ,sort of attitude.

regards Worgeordie

You don't play golf, do you W?

The article is misleading, as was that in the BP- it was an 81mm mortar shell, NOT an RPG round. He's still dead though. Whereas blinds from grenades and RPGs are normally blown up, mortar and artillery blinds are normally left on the impact area, given that they can be over 5km away from where they were fired. Scavengers take their lives in their hands entering firing ranges.

mort.jpg

Edited by Psimbo