All smiles as poor trishaw driver,74, returns 100,000 baht to South African cop

webfact

All smiles as poor trishaw driver,74, returns 100,000 baht to South African cop

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thairath

SURAT THANI: -- It was all smiles in Surat Thani yesterday when a visiting South African policeman was reunited with his wallet.

Now the grateful tourist wants to repay the honesty of the man with a monthly allowance, reported Thairath.

Rachendeen Ayer, 52, had given up hope of ever seeing his money and credit cards again after losing his wallet on Wednesday.

But he had not bargained for the honesty of 74 year old "samlor" operator Banphot Chotikphan who found the wallet and immediately took it into the police.

Banphot cycles around the To Rung market area on Na Muang Road in the southern Thai town. He has been doing that for decades.

He said at the police station yesterday that even though he is poor he would not dream of keeping another person's possessions as he understood their problems in losing money. He was just happy that the owner was found.

Rachendeen said that he had come to Surat on February 25th to visit his Thai girlfriend.

He was most impressed with modest Banphot and has talked with officials on ways that he can transfer a monthly allowance to the old man as a way of repaying his kindness.

All concerned had their smiling pictures taken yesterday at Surat police station.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-10

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice to hear of such honesty, makes a change to read about something good happening these days. A monthly 'reward' is far better than a lump sum and I am sure would be gratefully received by the old chap.

Edited by Falcon

74  and still working a Samlor. I am tipping a carton of smokes and a crate of Sangsom wouldn't be a good reward.Give the man a reward that gives him big face or much merit. Maybe throw him a party at his house.I had 20000 returned by a motosai rider who would take nothing so I gave his baby granddaughter a bag of near new baby clothes my niece gave me to donate and his family were very happy. 

Nice story. Only problem is how this policeman can carry around B 100 k which is approximately R 40 k. That is 2 months or more salary for a normal policeman in South Africa.  My G search of the policemans name also only came up with the TV story nothing else. Maybe I am just too sceptical these days. 

if he follows through with the monthly allowance that would be great! if not then some of us would like to help the old man. it is truly refreshing to see an honest person do what's right. wish there were ore like him! but he certainly is entitled to a reward for his honesty.

ThB 100,000 is a jolly good fare.....

Mind you South Africa is a long way to peddle a samlor, and the South African isn't exactly a lightweight.

No wonder the poor old soul looks knackered....

:smile:

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Wonder about the outcome if he had lost his wallet in his home country.

He wouldn't have to wait to lose it,he would most likely be relieved of it,tortured into revealing the PIN numbers and held captive for several days while his account was emptied and then his body would be dumped. But hey,they've got rid of apartheid and the economy storming ahead to catch up with Zimbabwe ,so  relief all round. 

3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

A monthly allowance is better than a straight cash reward. See Russians can be nice people to. OOOPS realized my mistake South African. Got to cut back on my sugar levels. 

Yes indeed - With the provisio that this is not a clever twist to unvoi pay anything at all - future gentlemans promises may tend not to materialize over time especially when the vacation is over, the distance increase and the relation With the gf has come to an end ...

I assume a 74 year old would be old enough to handle a Direct tip of 10%...10.000thb cash in the hand now may be far better than a unsecure possible future monthly payment - after all, he is not only a South African, he is as well a "cop"...;)

Edited by ttrd

3 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Yes indeed - With the provisio that this is not a clever twist to unvoi pay anything at all - future gentlemans promises may tend not to materialize over time especially when the vacation is over, the distance increase and the relation With the gf has come to an end ...

I assume a 74 year old would be old enough to handle a Direct tip of 10% and10.000thb in the hand now is better than a unsecure possibble future monthly payment ...;)

...hmmmm.... spoke too soon.... :sad:

Well done, old man - not all Thais are rogues!

Not wanting to be cynical, however, but does that wallet not seem a trifle small to be containing 100,000 baht?

Edited by sambum