PHOTOS: One dead, two injured after tuk tuk accident in Sukhumvit Soi 10

Jonathan Fairfield

never get me in one of those tuk tuks.   Iv'e seen how they drive and seen backpackers hanging out of them in a dangerous manner. Tourists jump in after 10 beers , laughing and carrying on without thinking about their safety.

I'm suprised there aren't more accidents .....

It's a stretched tuk Tuk and like most things stretched not engineered for the extra stresses you would get from carrying another 4-6 more people than most tuk tuks. The wheels axles brakes steering would all be standard kit. 

Will be interested to see what the findings are? 

That is not your normal street tuk tuk.  It is "give me a ride to Sukhumvit" from some hotel or condo. One would normally feel that ride down Soi 10 would be safe. But, I have walked that Soi many times going to Queens park.  It is very narrow and busy as many cars come over the bridge to go to Sukhumvit.  I am not surprised but sad story about this.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

never get me in one of those tuk tuks.   Iv'e seen how they drive and seen backpackers hanging out of them in a dangerous manner. Tourists jump in after 10 beers , laughing and carrying on without thinking about their safety.

After several years of intensive on the job research, I am pleased to announce that I will soon be in a position to bequeath my method of hanging out of a Tuk-Tuk in a safe manner

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Dangerous Tuk tuks?--------Backpackers",hanging out of them dangerously"

Then ---------- Tourists pissed laughing and carrying on

Surely the police would stop that Tuktuk (sorry :dangerous Tuktuk!!!!)

I live in Isaan and have first hand knowledge that the millions of these vehicles are not dangerous.Lack of policing and bad driving maybe yes

Never felt safe in the damn things.  Years ago there was no choice.  Getting rid of them caused a pang of nostalgia but it was a big step forward.  Makes you appreciate the meter taxi's ... as bad as they drive on occasion.

46 minutes ago, Foozool said:

Tuk Tuk = Suiside machine 

Have your will ready before take one. 

It is not the danger that keeps me out of tuk tuks....  My body is long, legs shorter so if I sit up in the tuk tuk my head touches the roof and I cannot see where we are going -- annoying when you realize that the only place that you cannot see through is right in your eyes.  Also, the few that I have ridden in have consisted of rather a high number that are rather dishonest (much much much higher than taxies).   The only use for tuk tuks is they have the ability to carry merchandise from stores that unfortunately could not fit in a taxi (i.e. laser printer; or even fridges).  

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

It's not a backpacker tuk tuk; it's a condo one.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

That is not your normal street tuk tuk.  It is "give me a ride to Sukhumvit" from some hotel or condo. One would normally feel that ride down Soi 10 would be safe. But, I have walked that Soi many times going to Queens park.  It is very narrow and busy as many cars come over the bridge to go to Sukhumvit.  I am not surprised but sad story about this.

A condo - serviced apartment - if the name on the side is anything to go by.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting that someone decided to blur out the ID on the crashed tuk tuk of what project on Soi 10 it belongs to.  Why?

There's only one very large housing project with a major corporate owner on Suk Soi 10 that runs that style of tuk tuk.

'Interesting that someone decided to blur out the ID on the crashed tuk tuk ...' But not the number.

11 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

I live in Isaan and have first hand knowledge that the millions of these vehicles are not dangerous.Lack of policing and bad driving maybe yes

Here's a mental exercise, since real safety testing isn't going to happen:  

Imagine a tuk-tuk being subjected to safety inspection and testing back home, including seatbelts, airbags, rollover tests, side impact tests, and keeping passengers from flying out of the vehicle in any significant upset.

Yeah, they're dangerous.  Hell, they even outlawed 3 wheeled ATV's and golf carts decades ago. 

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Imagine a tuk-tuk being subjected to safety inspection and testing back home, including seatbelts, airbags, rollover tests, side impact tests, and keeping passengers from flying out of the vehicle in any significant upset.

Yeah, they're dangerous.  Hell, they even outlawed 3 wheeled ATV's and golf carts decades ago. 

Here's an other equivalent test.... how does it compare to being on a motorcycle / scooter with all those same tests....  You are comparing apples to oranges, just as comparing apples to oranges when comparing to a motorcycle.  

No vehicle requires seatbelts in the back seat in Thailand, and if they did ... it would cause major disruption in the short term (buses that are basically pickups, pickups that are used to transport a group of people back to rural areas, etc.).   I have not found one taxi in Bangkok that had seatbelts in the back seat -- so wearing them back there is not an option.  I have rarely seen any foreigner argue with the driver and say he wants to sit in the front seat only.

The issue about rollover is more to do with center of gravity etc. -- I have never seen a tuk tuk actually roll.  On occasion it has felt like it -- but that was because of dangerous driving (i.e. taking a corner at a rather high speed while overloaded).  Many more people (by a large percent) are killed on motorcycles here.... by the same reasoning motorcycles should be banned.... I mean it only has 2 wheels (one less than a tuk tuk).  

The ATVs were outlawed because they most were easily rolled (especially by inexperienced drivers) -- because the center of gravity and the ability to shift that center of gravity to the tipping point easily (you cannot stand up on a tuk tuk).  

Now I would not mind them being banned from Bangkok streets - since I don't take them anyways... since I don't take them (I don't like being at tailpipe level).  

Sad to say that now all 3 have died. TUT lost control when throttle jammed and hit taxi driver and condo security guard. Other person was on the Centrepoint Tut. RIP to all

Stop trolling, only 1 died!

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Here's an other equivalent test.... how does it compare to being on a motorcycle / scooter with all those same tests....  You are comparing apples to oranges, just as comparing apples to oranges when comparing to a motorcycle.  

No vehicle requires seatbelts in the back seat in Thailand, and if they did ... it would cause major disruption in the short term (buses that are basically pickups, pickups that are used to transport a group of people back to rural areas, etc.).   I have not found one taxi in Bangkok that had seatbelts in the back seat -- so wearing them back there is not an option.  I have rarely seen any foreigner argue with the driver and say he wants to sit in the front seat only.

The issue about rollover is more to do with center of gravity etc. -- I have never seen a tuk tuk actually roll.  On occasion it has felt like it -- but that was because of dangerous driving (i.e. taking a corner at a rather high speed while overloaded).  Many more people (by a large percent) are killed on motorcycles here.... by the same reasoning motorcycles should be banned.... I mean it only has 2 wheels (one less than a tuk tuk).  

The ATVs were outlawed because they most were easily rolled (especially by inexperienced drivers) -- because the center of gravity and the ability to shift that center of gravity to the tipping point easily (you cannot stand up on a tuk tuk).  

Now I would not mind them being banned from Bangkok streets - since I don't take them anyways... since I don't take them (I don't like being at tailpipe level).  

Can't disagree with you on any count here.  But when you ride a scooter, you know it's dangerous and you really need a helmet...  Inexperienced tourists have a reasonable belief that the modes of public transport allowed on the streets have been vetted for safety.  That's just not the case with tuk-tuks.

And on a scooter taxi, you're saving money over a 4 wheeled taxi, which has never been the case when a tuk-tuk has quoted me a price- usually 2-3 times (or more) of the legal taxi prices.  

Other than carrying big packages that don't fit in a taxi  (and the novelty- which wore out during my first real tuk-tuk ride), there is no legitimate reason to allow such a hazardous mode of public transport.  With the possible exception of a deliberately speed limited tuk-tuk to go from hotels on the sub-sois to take guests to the main road.  The operative words being "speed limited".

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Can't disagree with you on any count here.  But when you ride a scooter, you know it's dangerous and you really need a helmet...  Inexperienced tourists have a reasonable belief that the modes of public transport allowed on the streets have been vetted for safety.  That's just not the case with tuk-tuks.

And on a scooter taxi, you're saving money over a 4 wheeled taxi, which has never been the case when a tuk-tuk has quoted me a price- usually 2-3 times (or more) of the legal taxi prices.  

Other than carrying big packages that don't fit in a taxi  (and the novelty- which wore out during my first real tuk-tuk ride), there is no legitimate reason to allow such a hazardous mode of public transport.  With the possible exception of a deliberately speed limited tuk-tuk to go from hotels on the sub-sois to take guests to the main road.  The operative words being "speed limited".

In experienced tourists do/should not have a reasonable belief of anything -- what generally happens is tourists generally suspend their good judgement (or never had it) when they went on holiday.  You could have a shady person make them an offer that is unbelievable -- they just have to follow the person down a secluded dark lane to finish the deal.... and they would follow.... then wonder why they were mugged....

If you are a newbie and cannot negotiate a good deal on a vehicle that has no meter... you get the price you deserve.... same with motorcycle taxies....   Basically you pay what the market can bear.  No one forced them to get in a tuk tuk and pay more.... maybe the experience is worth it.  

Tuk tuks are often used by Thais (not just tourists) for things like shopping.... Been there as a friend of mine bought a fridge/freezer (average size for a thai apartment) at the Big C and had it picked up by a tuk tuk.  You will see a line of them picking up Thais at the clothes place near Pantip (forget the name).   Out here in the "boonies" I rarely see a taxi.... unless I make my way downtown (locally - not into the CBD of Bangkok).... you will only see Tuk Tuks and a few other modes (and there are only enough foreigners here to count on less than one hand)....  and no hotels.

If a tourist is coming here suspending their good judgement.... that is up to them.... (let evolution and the cleansing of the gene pool happen) :shock1:   I know many foreigners would like to turn Thailand into a western styled nanny state.... but right now it has it's own uniqueness.  Not everything revolves around us foreigners.  

The tuk tuks are not the source of the worst scams, and they are not the source of the vast majority of traffic safety problems.... 

On 14/03/2017 at 7:13 PM, chilli42 said:

Never felt safe in the damn things.  Years ago there was no choice.  Getting rid of them caused a pang of nostalgia but it was a big step forward.  Makes you appreciate the meter taxi's ... as bad as they drive on occasion.

There has been a choice for at least 30 years and tuk-tuks have not been got rid of.

On 15/03/2017 at 6:56 AM, impulse said:

Some countries, UK included, class 3-wheelers as motorcycles so imagine a motorcycle being subjected to safety inspection and testing back home, including seatbelts, airbags, rollover tests, side impact tests, and keeping passengers from flying out of the vehicle in any significant upset.

On 3/15/2017 at 6:56 AM, impulse said:

Yeah, cigarettes and booze are much more dangerous but no one cares you can freely buy them.

In the US, vehicle stuff is so over regulated it is a joke.  So many picky BS nonsense. 

• 2 weeks later...