Irish teacher assaulted, robbed by Pattaya van driver: Police

snoop1130

Irish teacher assaulted, robbed by Pattaya van driver: Police

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

CHONBURI — Police said they are looking for a van driver accused of assaulting and robbing a foreign passenger Tuesday in Chonburi province.

Irish national Ciaran Duffy said he was the last passenger in a van going from Pattaya to Bangkok earlier today when the driver – who remains unidentified – demanded he pay an exorbitant fare of 2,000 baht, police 1st Lt. Panisa Kuncharin said. Duffy refused.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/03/14/irish-teacher-assaulted-robbed-pattaya-van-driver-police/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-3-14

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mr Sanit said the department agreed with the notion that consumers should be given more options regarding public transport service, but, at the same time, the department must make sure that consumers are accorded safe service and that taxi drivers who mistreat or cheat consumers can be traced."

The above quote is from Land Transport Department chief Mr Sanit Promwong regarding Uber.

Now lets see how you deal with so called legal public transport drivers.

1 hour ago, BigBadGeordie said:

"Mr Sanit said the department agreed with the notion that consumers should be given more options regarding public transport service, but, at the same time, the department must make sure that consumers are accorded safe service and that taxi drivers who mistreat or cheat consumers can be traced."

The above quote is from Land Transport Department chief Mr Sanit Promwong regarding Uber.

Now lets see how you deal with so called legal public transport drivers.

Other offenders have been dealt with quite severely in recent cases so how legal drivers are dealt with is a known factor; there's no reason to suppose that this one will be treated any more leniently.

27 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Other offenders have been dealt with quite severely in recent cases so how legal drivers are dealt with is a known factor; there's no reason to suppose that this one will be treated any more leniently.

Legal drivers have been dealt with quite severely? A couple of examples please, OK let's make it easy, one example.

Source please.

I think he may of been assaulted because he said "FXck you" to a Thai.

If you want to get assaulted by a Thai, that is the way to go about it. Thais don't appreciate hearing that sort of filthy language especially directed AT them.

It may be acceptable in Ireland, but not in Thailand.

The young teacher learned the hard way.

Another Lesson is ALWAYS ask the price BEFORE using a service or making a purchase. It saves hassles later. If you can't afford it, just politely decline. 

Don't use  the f word. 

3 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

If you want to get assaulted by a Thai, that is the way to go about it. Thais don't appreciate hearing that sort of filthy language especially directed AT them.

Another Lesson is ALWAYS ask the price BEFORE using a service or making a purchase. It saves hassles later. If you can't afford it, just politely decline. 

Don't use  the f word. 

How do you know that he said "<deleted> you" to the driver? And how do you know that he did not know the price before he got onto the van?

So, "the young teacher learned the hard way" not to swear at a Thai and to ask the fare before becoming a passenger ... none of which you have any evidence of?

Maybe he tried to molest the driver, or he asked if he could sleep with the driver's wife, or if he could marry the driver's 12 year old daughter ... ?

You couldn't make it up? :shock1: Well ... you could, apparently! 

5 hours ago, AlexRich said:

How do you know that he said "<deleted> you" to the driver? And how do you know that he did not know the price before he got onto the van?

So, "the young teacher learned the hard way" not to swear at a Thai and to ask the fare before becoming a passenger ... none of which you have any evidence of?

Maybe he tried to molest the driver, or he asked if he could sleep with the driver's wife, or if he could marry the driver's 12 year old daughter ... ?

Read the full story

...not merely robbery...extortion or attempted extortion..

..and assault...if not attempted murder....was the vehicle moving when he was thrown out...???

...and to pretend this is all justified because the victim said..... 'the f word'....is beyond ludicrous....

...the expression has become so common that it now almost means... 'bug off'.....

...should he have replied...... 'Yes, of course, thank you, anything you say...anything else I can do for you?'

11 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

Don't use  the f word. 

Yes, such is manners here in Thailand. Saying F you to someone is very disrespectful in a culture of politeness and Buddhism. It's very much frowned upon and it's perfectly acceptable to respond to being sworn at by using violence. Violence isn't impolite or unbecoming. Saying nasty words first is.

You sure do have a warped idea of what's socially acceptable here. I'll let you into a little secret - any self respecting Thai will tell you violence is not the answer. 

8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

“The driver wanted 2,000 baht, so he yelled at him, like, telling him, ‘<deleted> you!’” Panisa, an officer at Chonburi City Police Station, told reporters. “So the driver shoved him out of the vehicle and took away 2,500 baht.” 

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/03/14/irish-teacher-assaulted-robbed-pattaya-van-driver-police/

" So the driver shoved him out of the vehicle and took away 2,500 baht"

So how did the driver take away 2500Bt? And Duffy looks like a fit young bloke, why didn't he smash his fist half a dozen times into the Thai's stinking face?

Ask the price first and if you disagree, smile, speak a little Thai and counter with a fair price and generally it will be accepted.

Go with the flow.

Always better to walk away and it's :partytime2:.

14 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Legal drivers have been dealt with quite severely? A couple of examples please, OK let's make it easy, one example.

Source please.

If you don't follow what is going on you'll have to do your own research but van drivers have been fined heavily after being filmed driving badly as have taxi drivers caught committing offences.  Source?  You're not a million miles away from one of them now.

I had a driver of a mini van dump me at South Pattaya instead of taking me to soi 5 Jomtien.

I had my Thai wife get a ticket from a legit company with an office and waiting room at 

Victory monument. This incident showed me the quality of drivers these mini van services

have in Bangkok.

Geezer

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

If you don't follow what is going on you'll have to do your own research but van drivers have been fined heavily after being filmed driving badly as have taxi drivers caught committing offences.  Source?  You're not a million miles away from one of them now.

I do follow the news, but would love to see an example of what you call drivers being "fined heavily". If you have one?

13 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I do follow the news, but would love to see an example of what you call drivers being "fined heavily". If you have one?

"I do follow the news..."

Clearly you don't.  Try the search option, I've got better things to do than to keep all the news archived for instant reference.

Edited by gdgbb

This story doesnt make sense to me. Did he have 2500 baht in his hands or in a wallet and the driver grabbed it ? If you live in Thailand and take a minivan it's probably not the first time and he should pay the normal fare like everyone else.

17 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

Don't use  the f word. 

So it doesn't count when a Thai swears at you then?  As my wife pointed out to me some years ago, the insulting things Thai's say to each other and to everyone else make the F word a very minor insult indeed.  Foul mouthed doesn't come close!

18 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Rant, rant rant.

The reason I know is because I read the story.

The teacher said so himself.

No, you are making it up. How about reading before you comment. Sometimes you should listen rather than talk.

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

So it doesn't count when a Thai swears at you then?  As my wife pointed out to me some years ago, the insulting things Thai's say to each other and to everyone else make the F word a very minor insult indeed.  Foul mouthed doesn't come close!

Yes, when rude foreigners swear at me back home I belt them. 

Coincidently, one was Irish.

What do you do?

i know all the Thai swear words and phrases, some of them are quite witty. No one ever uses them on me though, I am very respected and show respect as I am a grateful guest in this country. 

There are many directed at hookers, (I can think of nine hooker words off the top of my head) and even a few for farangs who marry hookers. Maybe that is what your wife was referring to. If you think about it, there are also many derogatory words in English for women of the night.

And always find out prices.

it is so easy.