Only in Thailand? Contractor demolishes bridge but there are no warning lights

rooster59

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Health and Safety is a term not translated into Thai it would seem. The idea of Health and Safety is someone wearing a hard hat on a building site, still in flip flops and shorts.  Anyone who has been here long enough knows that the total lack of planning and forward thinking is virtually non existent. I remember so many Thai companies went for the ISO 9002 quality standard. Hardly any achieved it as the health and safety was still back in the 18th century.

18th century standards? That far into the future? This great leap forward must have something to do with Thailand 4.0. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing happened to me inside Chiang Mai about eight years ago. Driving along an unlit road late at night and suddenly the car took off and CRUNCH. The road had been dug out for a four metre stretch to a depth of one metre. No lights, no 'road works' warning signs. When the insurance company contacted the contractors they said that the driver probably should have been wearing glasses and they denied any culpability!

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Another fine example of Thailands' understanding of safety issues.......not too many people here in any position of authority, have the slightest idea of health and safety.....no idea about preventing accidents/incidents, no idea of training or implementation....it's very backward for 2017....!

It's a Long, Long Way to Tipperary!

Anyone remember the chaos in Chiang Mai 23 years ago when the superhighway was under construction? At that time I had to cross from the north side into town and back every day. There was no bridge so you took your chances weaving across the mud plain around contractor's vehicles and trenches and at night the same, trying to figure out which parts were safe enough to traverse, but without any helpful directions or lights.

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Another fine example of Thailands' understanding of safety issues.......not too many people here in any position of authority, have the slightest idea of health and safety.....no idea about preventing accidents/incidents, no idea of training or implementation....it's very backward for 2017....!

For a culture whose entire belief system supposedly is based on "cause and effect", no one has the slightest understanding of that concept. This is the result when an education system is based on teaching What to think and not How to think. If they aren't told exactly what to do, there is no way they will figure it out by themselves. I have friends here with advanced university degrees, but there isn't an ounce of deductive reasoning present in the entire group. 

If you've travelled on Thai roads often you'd know that anything from tree branches to café signs will do , there is no uniformity when it comes to signage on road works , that's if you get any at all....................................:coffee1:

being an ex health and safety officer, i cringe when i go past all the building work going on by my condo, 99% of the workforce wearing flip flops, something happend the other night at one site, 2 ambulances,in attendence, i didnt see any difference in the "so many days without an accident " board outside of the site

2 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

This one, sir? Hoho, nice.

Well, you obviously got common sense plus are here long enough - the 'eerie feeling' is/was certainly warranted ... yes, always watch your '6'  :shock1: 

smash.JPG

Yes, that's the one. Close to Major Ratchayothin. 

When the

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

If they aren't told exactly what to do, there is no way they will figure it out by themselves.

Yeah and I bet there were more people taking photos with their phones than people attending the injured.

I gave first first aid to a motorcyclist once and no Thai helped me. They just kept leaning over taking snaps. One guy did make an effort. He lent over and stuck one of those menthol nose inhalers up the injured guys nose. True story. 

54 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

being an ex health and safety officer, i cringe when i go past all the building work going on by my condo, 99% of the workforce wearing flip flops, something happend the other night at one site, 2 ambulances,in attendence, i didnt see any difference in the "so many days without an accident " board outside of the site

...its been changed..... Days Without Accident...to... Hours Without Accident

Edited by Gonzo the Face

This reminds me of the accident in Phuket a couple of years ago where a pickup crashed into a chasm and a little girl died of her injuries in hospital. They said the warning signs had been stolen ......

Edited by sandrabbit

12 minutes ago, cruisemonkey said:

Warning lights? There should be a freakin' barricade (with lights).

Last month at night (here in BKK) my wife was driving and we wanted to take a U-turn-bridge. When she steered onto the ramp there suddenly was a huge concrete barrier (without lights or reflective paint) placed on the road by construction workers. 

The roadsigns were not covered, we almost drove into the barrier full speed. With dark tanned windows it's very hard to see surprises like that...Welcome to Thailand, trust us we're Thai...

You simply cannot make such stories up ......... and then pursue through the civil courts of the land. Gross negligence is the least this "professional" contractor, who did win the bid against all even less professional clowns - right. 

My suggestion to the three parties which got their cars damaged (most likely beyond repair in any other but the lala country) and people hurt = sue everybody involved, i.e. contractor, those who appointed the contractor, the department of highways, the ministry of unfinished bridges, the ministry of interior idiocy - just everybody.

This absolute negligence has to stop and that works only if it goes through the wallets ! 

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

For a culture whose entire belief system supposedly is based on "cause and effect", no one has the slightest understanding of that concept. This is the result when an education system is based on teaching What to think and not How to think. If they aren't told exactly what to do, there is no way they will figure it out by themselves. I have friends here with advanced university degrees, but there isn't an ounce of deductive reasoning present in the entire group. 

I agree entirely. A few years back I was teaching English here to the State Prosecutors office.

These were all University educated Lawyers, who have to sift through evidence, to assess what does or does not prove someones guilt or innocence.

I set them some very basic logic problems to work through. The sort a 12 year old at home could work out in 5 minutes.

At the next session two days later, none of them had solved any! I was absolutely stunned.

4 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

This one, sir? Hoho, nice.

Well, you obviously got common sense plus are here long enough - the 'eerie feeling' is/was certainly warranted ... yes, always watch your '6'  :shock1: 

smash.JPG

She shouldn't have parked there.

5 hours ago, maewang99 said:

there's a book...... Phra Farlang.... 

where the farlang goes up into a bell tower at 4 AM to ring the bell..... bangs his head on the rim of the bell that is centered right over the hatch opening .. and the book says "only a Thai would put the bell right there".... 

when I read that in Phra Farlang.... it was only after being in Thailand ever for a few days.... I already knew it was true..... but not at all why.... clueless for years even after being here.... about that 'bell tower' passage that I knew was true but had no idea why....

but we who live here know it.... and live it with the Thai... everyday.... and even the why becomes crystal clear. but.... they do it to themselves.... it took a while for me to realize that last one thought on this.  but made it easier to live with... especially as I know and am close to several 'ajarn'.  but it begins there for sure. there's no chicken or egg problem with this one. 

in a tapioca mill the Farang engineer told the workers no open Flame or smoking an the job site. danger of dust explosion.

the Thais said stupid Farang this stuff is edible  it can not explode. a short while later the had a dust explosion because some Thai Foreman decided to do a welding job on the silo door without stopping production.Result one Dead 5 People badly Burnt .

now the Know

Edited by DieterWiehe

If you've travelled on Thai roads often you'd know that anything from tree branches to café signs will do , there is no uniformity when it comes to signage on road works , that's if you get any at all....................................:coffee1:

If they can carry machetes to cut down branches of trees, then they can carry red triangle warning and a torch to warn off the next car to approach.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I hope mr Prayuth jumps on top of this case and tells ALL damage will be paid to the victims by the government. (They are responsible after all) and they will sue the contractor for negligence to make him pay. Also the contractor deserves a huge fine for this and should loose his license to work on public property FOREVER.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Following the destruction the department of rural roads rushed to put some emergency lights in and order the contractor to take more safety precautions. They suggested signage and warning lights.

Is this for real or a sick joke. They suggested?? Lock the B*****d up or put him in his personal car/truck and force him to drive over the bridge. How do they ever expect things to change when dealing with this serious issue in such a cavalier attitude. 

There isn't a single official in this country that gives a siht about what happened and could care less...nobody will be punished...they will just wai and say sorry and go on with their lives...its a mute point and most definitely will happen a dozen times more in the future

8 hours ago, maewang99 said:

there's a book...... Phra Farlang.... 

where the farlang goes up into a bell tower at 4 AM to ring the bell..... bangs his head on the rim of the bell that is centered right over the hatch opening .. and the book says "only a Thai would put the bell right there".... 

when I read that in Phra Farlang.... it was only after being in Thailand ever for a few days.... I already knew it was true..... but not at all why.... clueless for years even after being here.... about that 'bell tower' passage that I knew was true but had no idea why....

but we who live here know it.... and live it with the Thai... everyday.... and even the why becomes crystal clear. but.... they do it to themselves.... it took a while for me to realize that last one thought on this.  but made it easier to live with... especially as I know and am close to several 'ajarn'.  but it begins there for sure. there's no chicken or egg problem with this one. 

I read that book, Interesting sight into the monk hood and Thai mind.