Calling it a day on Pattaya....

Cirencester

23 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Behaving badly Is not an exclusively Australian trait, but they are a little more obvious  In Bali because they represent about a quarter of the total tourist numbers.

But I do avoid Australians In Bali.... and Brits, and Americans, and Europeans, etc.

Most seem to leave their undersized brains at their departure airports, similarly those who visit places like Phuket, Pattaya, etc.

Oh you are really finding a lot of Americans in Bali to avoid? I hardly think so. You just wanted to add them in for some unknown reason. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

Oh you are really finding a lot of Americans in Bali to avoid? I hardly think so. You just wanted to add them in for some unknown reason. 

There is a crazy American in Bali running a place called Taco Beach Grilling recommend bumping into him. 

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

Don't let the secret out londoedan!!

Bali anytime for me.  I get away  from the Idiots on the south coast, Kuta to Canggu, and just love It..... still, after almost 40 years, 100+ visits, and living there for a year.

True that - for me about 50 trips and arriving next week for another few weeks :smile:.

Its a different vibe to Pattaya but I enjoy both places.

10 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

There is a crazy American in Bali running a place called Taco Beach Grilling recommend bumping into him. 

Well the place sounds awesome! Great reviews on many sights and many comments on great service. I wish there was a place like this in BKK. I will go there next time I'm in Bali in October. The crazy owner sounds like he knows how to run a successful business.  Thanks.  Bali also does seem to be a good alternative to Pattaya to stay on topic. 

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Well the place sounds awesome! Great reviews on many sights and many comments on great service. I wish there was a place like this in BKK. I will go there next time I'm in Bali in October. The crazy owner sounds like he knows how to run a successful business.  Thanks.  Bali also does seem to be a good alternative to Pattaya to stay on topic. 

Hands down I would love in Bali before Pattaya. The traffic is bad in both places but both have a plethora of foreign restaurants and bars. 

As far as style and class goes Bali is miles ahead of Pattaya. People actually go there for more than cheap beer and girls. 

Yeah, Taco Beach Grill would easily be the best Mexican place in probably all of Thailand if it was over here.

So many western males come to Thailand & particularly to Pattaya  primarily to take comparative financial advantage of accessing Thai bar girls (if we're being totally honest), then later absurdly complain that it is the Thai girls who are taking financial advantage of them... It's all so obvious and boringly absurd (except to the avg dimwit/hypocrite western monger, or 'graduated' to married monger/whinger)

1 minute ago, sujoop said:

So many western males come to Thailand & particularly to Pattaya  primarily to take comparative financial advantage of accessing Thai bar girls (if we're being totally honest), then later absurdly complain that it is the Thai girls who are taking financial advantage of them... It's all so obvious and boringly absurd (except to the avg dimwit/hypocrite western monger, or 'graduated' to married monger/whinger)

The success stories are rarely voiced. 

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I went last year to check it out.  Phnom Penh, Snooky, Kampot.  PP is a mess.  Great if you like cheap drugs.  I wasn't impressed.  Snooky was fair, but small and the beach area is really spread out along a dirt road.  OK, but just.  Kampot was nice, but very small.  Not much to do.  Health care is a big deal.  You get sick or hurt, you are in trouble there.  Corruption is way worse, trash is everywhere, as are drugs.  We had a guy OD in the hotel next to us.  Found the body after it'd been there for quite a few days.  Right next to us!  Yuck.

Not for me.

Ban chang outside pattaya 1hr drive 3beaches pruimas hotel big swimming pool gym suna resturant free towl sunbed all for 1500baht a month can have day time rates 200baht have girls here to frang food what more can you want love it here oh! forgot chinese indian and guinness up to you !

5 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Yes, there's a lot of BS talked on this forum about Cambodia. Mainly by people who've been here on a visa run, stayed by the riverside in PP and are impresssed that you can get a beer for 75 cents. The truth is that its an awful place to live, particularly Phnom Penh - the rents are expensive and the properties are dirty and poorly maintained to start with. Cambodians are the greediest, laziest people on the planet. Sihanoukville is also an incredibly boring place for a holiday.

True. The Cambodia Paradise myth was created about 20 years ago (I could quote a Pattaya Mail letter) for the purpose of bashing Pattaya. The basher/hater has been so disappointed in Pattaya (runny eggs, white sidewalls haircut, overcharged 10 baht) that it means Cambodia is SO much better and everybody's gonna move there. And that'll show those stupid, wicked Thais! YEAH. Just another bit of nonsense to support the Pattaya Perpetual Death Spiral.

I still enjoy the vibe at Pattaya/Jomtien on my occasional trips from rural Thailand. We stayed near Soi 18 at Jomtien and I was surprised by how elderly most of the tourists seemed. Anyway, still a great place for a friendly and cheap massage. Walking at the back of the soi some ladies waved me in for a few drinks and to complain about their overseas boyfriends. There just seem to be endless possibilities and opportunities in Pattaya/Jomtien, and there are still 100s of decent ladies around if you stay away from the tourist bars.

I was on an end of school teacher's bus trip and didn't even get gouged for double pricing at all the tourist places. I even swam in the ocean and it wasn't too bad. A nice cool(ish) sea breeze in the late afternoon made things seem more relaxed.

Don't let the secret out londoedan!!
Bali anytime for me.  I get away  from the Idiots on the south coast, Kuta to Canggu, and just love It..... still, after almost 40 years, 100+ visits, and living there for a year.

I always go north or Kuta asap. Where is Canggu?

54 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I always go north or Kuta asap. Where is Canggu?

Canggu is further west along the coast from Seminyak and Kerobokan, toward Tanah Lot.  It's being touted as the next big thing in Bali, somewhere else for the idiots to get drunk and create mahyhem.

I much prefer Candidasa, Lovina, Bedugul in the cool of the mountains, and Ubud, although even Ubud is going the way of the south coast, too many idiots.

Parts of Spain are expensive but by no means all. Move away from the coastal hot spots and you will find great value. Can't speak for Greece but right now they are in meltdown.

Why not look outside the box and have a look at Montenegro? Poland? Croatia? Slovenia? Cheap as chips, beautiful cities, scenery, mountains, beaches and sun!

By the way some stunning women.

Canggu is further west along the coast from Seminyak and Kerobokan, toward Tanah Lot.  It's being touted as the next big thing in Bali, somewhere else for the idiots to get drunk and create mahyhem.

I much prefer Candidasa, Lovina, Bedugul in the cool of the mountains, and Ubud, although even Ubud is going the way of the south coast, too many idiots.

I haven't been for quite a few years so sounds like some places I've never heard of are up and coming. Ubud was always my favourite.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:02 AM, Cirencester said:

Think one or two misunderstood my post (my fault)

Am not looking at other areas in Pattaya per se. Have just got bored of the bar scene and if you wanted to tip me over the edge lol telling me to go New Plaza drinking will do it nicely. You need vaccinations before making incursions into that area

Snooky and Bali mentioned. Doesnt anyone else in middle age feel that the vibe has changed (not overnight) but the very essence of Boy meets Girl of late 80,s early 90's has long gone as it was. Internet of course huge part to play.  Theres a nationality of people here that are quite frankly disgusting in manners, appearance, incapable of washing and God knows what else.

Hordes of them all over the beach concession lady for Coconuts today with her politely saying they are 50 Baht each with them time after time saying 3 for 100.....in the end I stood up and politely said to them they are 50 Baht EACH either buy them or go somewhere else...... Good 12 of them now handing over their 50 Bahts. Embarrassing for all around. Italian guy besides me said well done mate.

Good for you. I, too, get tired of hearing the bartering in non-market situations. I don't live in your area, but I think you're mostly just fed up with the quality of the tourist. Unfortunately, that's really just a reflection of the whole world unless you keep moving up into the higher priced 'bracket'.

2 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Not sure where to start...

The local people vs the modern world, the food, pollution, foreign community.

That'll do for now.

There are caves up in the Loei area........there may be one not occupied by a Buddha.

On 3/19/2017 at 11:02 AM, Cirencester said:

Think one or two misunderstood my post (my fault)

Am not looking at other areas in Pattaya per se. Have just got bored of the bar scene and if you wanted to tip me over the edge lol telling me to go New Plaza drinking will do it nicely. You need vaccinations before making incursions into that area

Snooky and Bali mentioned. Doesnt anyone else in middle age feel that the vibe has changed (not overnight) but the very essence of Boy meets Girl of late 80,s early 90's has long gone as it was. Internet of course huge part to play.  Theres a nationality of people here that are quite frankly disgusting in manners, appearance, incapable of washing and God knows what else.

Hordes of them all over the beach concession lady for Coconuts today with her politely saying they are 50 Baht each with them time after time saying 3 for 100.....in the end I stood up and politely said to them they are 50 Baht EACH either buy them or go somewhere else...... Good 12 of them now handing over their 50 Bahts. Embarrassing for all around. Italian guy besides me said well done mate.

Would that be the Indians or the Russians .....both equally bad mannered 

After moving around a bit I found out it doesn't matter where you live n the world as long as you get what you need to live a good life.  

The reason most people settle down here is the climate and the prices. Because that's important in life,  Prostitution is not important , even if its available anywhere,  OP only seem to be mentioning the seedy parts of town  . 

If you want to try something different how about Rovinj in Northern Croatia. Stunningly beautiful, quality bars and restaurants with very low prices. No one hassling for tips, no-one staggering around drunk, no grown men in football shirts, immaculately clean and very few Brits. Venice is a 3 hour ferry ride away, Slovenia is just up the coast and Italy a few kilometers beyond that. Flights from Stanstead to the nearest airport (Pula) are around a £100. Sounds like you've grown out of Pattaya. 

7948_sliderImage.jpg

10 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Parts of Spain are expensive but by no means all. Move away from the coastal hot spots and you will find great value. Can't speak for Greece but right now they are in meltdown.

Why not look outside the box and have a look at Montenegro? Poland? Croatia? Slovenia? Cheap as chips, beautiful cities, scenery, mountains, beaches and sun!

By the way some stunning women.

I lived in Poland for two years. can't recommend it. Warsaw won't be that cheap to rent something that isn't in a communist style flat. We had a very modern two bedroom condo that was somewhat luxurious for around 1,200 Euro a month.

Sure you can get cheaper but the cheap flats are pretty gruesome. Poland has surprisingly amazing country side and more UN heritage sites than most people can imagine. I looked into getting a cabin out in the country and they were dirt cheap but the average small Polish village has very very little to offer. 

If it is cheap that is your primary criteria of an ideal place to live Thailand is still hard to beat. If the primary concern isn't how to survive on 60,000 Baht a month and how easy it is to obtain a visa there are tons of options and the world is your oyster.

Every conversation about places to live seems focused on the lowest end budget possible. That is sort of sad but I guess for some a necessity. I did price comparisons for goods I use and for what I spend in Thailand many places come out favorably. 

I just bought something back in the USA but otherwise I would give Playa Del Carmen Mexico a good look. Maybe a tad more than Thailand at it's bottom end of the spectrum but for anybody more to the middle around the same. 

Visas are easy enough 6 months a time and you can renew back to back still as far as I know. Chicken by the kilo is twice the price of Thailand but wine is 30% the price of Thailand. I drink more wine than I eat chicken so it balances out. 

Pattaya is good for a weekend now and then but partying hard in Pattaya isn't exactly cheap.

3 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I lived in Poland for two years. can't recommend it. Warsaw won't be that cheap to rent something that isn't in a communist style flat. We had a very modern two bedroom condo that was somewhat luxurious for around 1,200 Euro a month.

Sure you can get cheaper but the cheap flats are pretty gruesome. Poland has surprisingly amazing country side and more UN heritage sites than most people can imagine. I looked into getting a cabin out in the country and they were dirt cheap but the average small Polish village has very very little to offer. 

If it is cheap that is your primary criteria of an ideal place to live Thailand is still hard to beat. If the primary concern isn't how to survive on 60,000 Baht a month and how easy it is to obtain a visa there are tons of options and the world is your oyster.

Every conversation about places to live seems focused on the lowest end budget possible. That is sort of sad but I guess for some a necessity. I did price comparisons for goods I use and for what I spend in Thailand many places come out favorably. 

I just bought something back in the USA but otherwise I would give Playa Del Carmen Mexico a good look. Maybe a tad more than Thailand at it's bottom end of the spectrum but for anybody more to the middle around the same. 

Visas are easy enough 6 months a time and you can renew back to back still as far as I know. Chicken by the kilo is twice the price of Thailand but wine is 30% the price of Thailand. I drink more wine than I eat chicken so it balances out. 

Pattaya is good for a weekend now and then but partying hard in Pattaya isn't exactly cheap.

I already tried the Mexico bit.

Sounds like a good idea, but I hated it. left early and back in tl.

anywhere with an easy visa is going to be crap is the rule, and Mexico confirmed my suspicions on this, as also did cambodia. There's a reason some of these places are easy to get into.