Foodland supermarket coming to Royal Garden!

Jingthing

10 hours ago, JSixpack said:

When dealing w/ Thai staff, if you first offer a smile and a polite greeting in Thai and observe polite Thai manners at all times, even if you aren't getting exactly what you want, then you will almost always qualify in their minds as not one of the idiots. And that means a much pleasanter transaction so that's what I do.

Oh, so your TVF personality is different then!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I noticed the friendly staff thing too. They won't stay that way though if the others stores are any indication. I actually thought they were told to be extra nice by management to get the store off to a good start with regular customers.

I only know one other Foodland supermarket, and I've always found them polite and helpful there too. IMO the most notable feature of Foodland is the speed of checkout and packing. Another feature which is unique these days is sticker pricing. That's very convenient and useful.

5 hours ago, digbeth said:

The supermarket staff seems on par with Klan branch in niceness, 

Took Lae Dee restaurant in the new branch is nowhere near as packed as their capacity unlike Klang branch that's sardines at busy hours, maybe that's why they're still nice to customers, let's see how they are when the new restaurant is full

I'm sure that it will be packed, just like the other store, when word spreads. I'd estimate the seating capacity at 4 x Klang.

14 hours ago, tazly said:

Total nonsense...lots of people on motorbike who don't need valet parking....location, location, location.....

Repeating..since some don't make the link.....A grocery store can not survive financially on motorbike patrons treating it like a 7/11,Family. You might have noticed, Tesco and Big C have entered the marketplace around town. This "location" is not well suited for a glorified 7/11 because of the access issues and more importantly, the overhead expenses associated with it. It's an experiment is all and it will fail. Mark my words here. Fail financially. And, FYI, the police sell the street around there so your proclamation that motorbike folks can cater it is a bit out of the logical sphere of common sense. Cheers mate and God Bless You. OO.

13 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm sure that it will be packed, just like the other store, when word spreads. I'd estimate the seating capacity at 4 x Klang.

Do you concur with the other poster, that you can buy your food inside the store and have it prepared and served to you at the counter?(Foodland, Pattaya Klang location). I've never seen this done. I have no idea how to even ask about it without coming off as some kind of cheap charlie idiot. Thanks and God Bless You. OO.

46 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Repeating..since some don't make the link.....A grocery store can not survive financially on motorbike patrons treating it like a 7/11,Family. You might have noticed, Tesco and Big C have entered the marketplace around town. This "location" is not well suited for a glorified 7/11 because of the access issues and more importantly, the overhead expenses associated with it. It's an experiment is all and it will fail. Mark my words here. Fail financially. And, FYI, the police sell the street around there so your proclamation that motorbike folks can cater it is a bit out of the logical sphere of common sense. Cheers mate and God Bless You. OO.

Nearly all expats that live on the west side of Suk do not own cars or trucks. Like you for example.

On May 17, 2017 at 11:17 AM, JSixpack said:

When dealing w/ Thai staff, if you first offer a smile and a polite greeting in Thai and observe polite Thai manners at all times, even if you aren't getting exactly what you want, then you will almost always qualify in their minds as not one of the idiots. And that means a much pleasanter transaction so that's what I do.

you really live in a dream world. This absolutely is NOT true anymore. I've had 30 years of living in Thailand, including 5 years around Pattaya, and I'm a very affable guy and ALWAYS behave as you have said. I'm especially polite to workers whose job is a drudge. Yet the responses over the past couple of years especially have, with the odd exception, been perfunctory or simply devoid of any Thai charm and pleasantness of the old days. Stop trying to deny reality, for heaven's sake. Call a spade a spade.

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Do you concur with the other poster, that you can buy your food inside the store and have it prepared and served to you at the counter?(Foodland, Pattaya Klang location). I've never seen this done. I have no idea how to even ask about it without coming off as some kind of cheap charlie idiot. Thanks and God Bless You. OO.

They charge around 50 baht to cook it, people do it all the time, selecting their own cuts of meat or fish and have them grill it up for you

5 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

LOL> I do concur with the other poster as the other poster was me.

I have bought steak and chicken at the Klang branch and had it cooked many times. It has been awhile since I last did it - back then it was 50 baht. A lot of Cheap Charlies do this. They are the ones I learned it from.

All I do these days is grab a big salad from the salad bar and eat it with a meal I order and maybe a V8 juice and a dessert yogurt. I usually ask them for a big bowl to eat it in LOL.

You can buy anything you like from the supermarket to consume in the restaurant. That's where all the food you eat in the restaurant comes from in the first place.

7 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Repeating..since some don't make the link.....A grocery store can not survive financially on motorbike patrons treating it like a 7/11,Family.  

I don't know about that. I regularly exit a supermarket with 2000 - 3000 baht of shopping on a motorcycle. I'm sure I'm not the only one. This new Foodland is easy parking at night - you can park quite near inside the carpark with a motorcycle. I'm not sure where you have to park during the day and whether you can get free parking with a receipt.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

I have bought steak and chicken at the Klang branch and had it cooked many times. It has been awhile since I last did it - back then it was 50 baht. A lot of Cheap Charlies do this. They are the ones I learned it from.

All I do these days is grab a big salad from the salad bar and eat it with a meal I order and maybe a V8 juice and a dessert yogurt. I usually ask them for a big bowl to eat it in LOL.

You can buy anything you like from the supermarket to consume in the restaurant. That's where all the food you eat in the restaurant comes from in the first place.

Interesting. I had never noticed that but it's not a place I regularly eat at. The business model of inventory being right there is often successful even in the "west".

Another odd thing...since we're here..I was in Foodland(Klang) this afternoon. A Thai female, middle age, had 1200. Baht in groceries. She presented a VISA Credit Card. It was accepted, processed, and the ticket signed. No ID checked or signature matched/looked at. I've seen this at Big C as well. Surprising Thailand hasn't been hit with the credit card fraud with such a lackadaisical process. I wonder who absorbs these losses. When I last used my CC in the "west" I also had to present an ID, which of course makes perfect sense. God Bless You and OO.

12 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Interesting. I had never noticed that but it's not a place I regularly eat at. The business model of inventory being right there is often successful even in the "west".

Another odd thing...since we're here..I was in Foodland(Klang) this afternoon. A Thai female, middle age, had 1200. Baht in groceries. She presented a VISA Credit Card. It was accepted, processed, and the ticket signed. No ID checked or signature matched/looked at. I've seen this at Big C as well. Surprising Thailand hasn't been hit with the credit card fraud with such a lackadaisical process. I wonder who absorbs these losses. When I last used my CC in the "west" I also had to present an ID, which of course makes perfect sense. God Bless You and OO.

I very seldom tender cash in any stores here. I nearly exclusively use international debit and credit cards. I have never been asked for ID and rarely do cashiers check the signature. This works out cheaper for me than withdrawing money from ATMs as I get a better exchange rate and don't pay ATM fees. Most stores allow you to use debit/credit cards for transactions over 200 baht. Some stores require a 300 baht spend.

7 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

you really live in a dream world. This absolutely is NOT true anymore. I've had 30 years of living in Thailand, including 5 years around Pattaya, and I'm a very affable guy and ALWAYS behave as you have said. I'm especially polite to workers whose job is a drudge. Yet the responses over the past couple of years especially have, with the odd exception, been perfunctory or simply devoid of any Thai charm and pleasantness of the old days. Stop trying to deny reality, for heaven's sake. Call a spade a spade.

Sounds like you need to shower more often. Note that you've thrown out a red herring with "old days." How can anything today possibly compare with the Old Days in the minds of a TVF Poster? I made no such comparison. "Much pleasanter" is valid in the present-day context. And maybe your greeting is perfunctory as well; mine isn't. Oh--lemme beat you to the glasses; we score major points here at TVF w/ those. Take these off, man:

Smoky-Quartz-Sunglasses_cr.jpg.7537921da2a3da5450ddfc99470ab609.jpg

On any internet forum, somebody will disagree. I noted a few commentards observing what a dog Kate Upton is after a recent article w/ pics of her abundant assets. Go take a look at some of the comments about your favorite musical group/singer on youtube. Try to argue with them.

I could relate a few stories, nice one at Makro the other week, but if you don't believe it, then you don't. I'll keep doing what I'm doing 'cause it works for me.

Next.

Edited by JSixpack

3 hours ago, tropo said:

So, by your own definition, you are now a Cheap Charlie too ?.

I would have thought it was more a case of people not having cooking facilities at home or much in the way of cooking skills. No washing up too.

Well, I checked it out.

As said, the store much smaller than Klang and the restaurant much bigger.

I wasn't really up for a shop but was curious if they had two of the items I used to schlep out Klang to buy.

Nope. 

Disappointing. 

Scanned the store.

I might occasionally drop by for produce as the choice is much greater than mini-Friendship near Walking Street. 

Found one of my staple items lower priced than anywhere. 

But I may not shop there at all (just as I stopped shopping at Villa at all). 

I will probably eat at the restaurant occasionally.

Oh well. 

3 hours ago, champers said:

So, by your own definition, you are now a Cheap Charlie too ?.

I would have thought it was more a case of people not having cooking facilities at home or much in the way of cooking skills. No washing up too.

No, I learned this from cheap charlies years ago, which doesn't make me a cheap charlie by definition. You made the assumption that means I'm a cheap charlie. I would like to be, but I always fail LOL.  

I started doing it to increase the protein content of meals I bought in the Took Lae Dee restaurant. I was going through an intensive body building program and wanted a lot more protein than their basic meals provided... which often meant I'd pick an expensive prime cut of meat and have them cook it. My meals were actually quite expensive because I'd be adding perhaps 300 baht to a 100 baht meal and paying extra for cooking too.

I have cooking skills and don't mind washing up, but that doesn't mean I don't like to go out, relax and let someone else do it for me.

These days I just get a big salad in addition to the meal I purchase.

51 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I checked it out.

As said, the store much smaller than Klang and the restaurant much bigger.

I wasn't really up for a shop but was curious if they had two of the items I used to schlep out Klang to buy.

Nope. 

Disappointing. 

Scanned the store.

I might occasionally drop by for produce as the choice is much greater than mini-Friendship near Walking Street. 

Found one of my staple items lower priced than anywhere. 

But I may not shop there at all (just as I stopped shopping at Villa at all). 

I will probably eat at the restaurant occasionally.

Oh well. 

Enough mystery.....what were the 2 items?

8 hours ago, tropo said:

I regularly exit a supermarket with 2000 - 3000 baht of shopping on a motorcycle.

And I do my shopping with a bicycle, I carry 4 full bags with me .

BerkshiresBikeTripAug.07031.jpg

Edited by balo

4 hours ago, balo said:

And I do my shopping with a bicycle, I carry 4 full bags with me .

BerkshiresBikeTripAug.07031.jpg

Based on my experience at the Klang location both you and Tropo are not the typical Foodland shopper. The vast majority of buyers will be using their cars or the the song taews. The underground parking is a big positive, no rain, no hot car or mb. I think Bruce Mangosteen is wrong. Both the RG and Foodland will benefit from this location, only wish they had larger produce, bakery and meat departments. 

On 5/16/2017 at 5:36 PM, Naam said:

cleanliness!

To each his own for sure, but I honestly have to wonder what you find unclean about the store.   

With such a statement, I can't help but think you  you must never eat in street food locations or even most restaurants.    Just sayin'..

13 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I can't help but think you  you must never eat in street food locations

right you are! 26 years ago i paid dearly after eating street food. amoeba infection, several months not recognised due to part immunity acquired by living years in Africa. a hole big as a fist in my liver which was wrongly diagnosed as liver cancer. the suggested surgery would have killed me.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. 

Disappointing. 

Scanned the store.

Do you ever go to a restaurant when you are not hungry?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do you ever go to a restaurant when you are not hungry?

Generally, no, I do not eat when I'm not hungry.

I do sometimes peruse restaurant MENUS when I'm not hungry to see if I may want to visit later.

I would have bought those two items if they had them, but alas, they didn't.

4 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

I think Bruce Mangosteen is wrong. Both the RG and Foodland will benefit from this location, only wish they had larger produce, bakery and meat departments. 

As is the case with most 7/11's, you won't find produce, bakery, and meat departments. Once you folks grasp that it's just an impulse store you will get the big picture, that of profits and losses. While I don't know the rent agreement in place, suffice to say Foodland decision makers aren't as stupid as many farangs who "buy" beer bars and GoGo's only for the purpose of being able to say they are the "owner" and to think they are in control of bargirls. God Bless You and OO.

Edited by BruceMangosteen

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

To each his own for sure, but I honestly have to wonder what you find unclean about the store.   

With such a statement, I can't help but think you  you must never eat in street food locations or even most restaurants.    Just sayin'..

Which supermarket are you referring to that's unclean?