New measure to deal with motorists who refuse to pay traffic tickets

webfact

New measure to deal with motorists who refuse to pay traffic tickets

2103002.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Motorists who refuse to pay or do not properly pay traffic tickets will, from now on, will not have their annual car registrations renewed – which means that the motorists will be fined if they continue driving their cars without their registrations being renewed.

The new measure was imposed by means of the invocation of Section 44 of the interim constitution by General Prayut Chan-ocha in his capacity as head of the National Council for Peace and Order.

The measure was meant to discipline motorists who broke traffic law and, at the same time, refused to pay traffic tickets as required.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-measure-deal-motorists-refuse-pay-traffic-tickets/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-22

24 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Why invoke S44 on a legislation when this is already  exist on the books from way back?

of has the government lost the plot and prefer to book everything under S44

coz it's easier to do.....

I thought that was a rule too....its just another of the thousands on the books they don't enforce because the police are too busy collecting tea money than enforce the laws. 

Set up a traffic court system. Those who don't pay fines with two weeks from the date on a ticket would have to attend court.

If they don't appear in court, they would face an arrest warrant from the court, without possible bail.

I'm not sure what the problem is, every-time I have been booked they keep your licenses until the fine is paid. There is already a system in place. I am on a first name basis with the pay the fine lady and the get back license guy in pattaya, lol.

I got booked for no car tax at toll gates, gave me a ticket and took my license, payed the fine and my licenses turned up in the mail 2 days later.

What good is cancelling registration when its most likely not the offenders car.

Edited by Peterw42

In my country you would go to court for unpaid traffic fines, impounding a vehicle or not renewing registration would be an illegal act by the authorities, I am ignoring the fact that a vehicle may be unroadworthy in which case registration should be denied but not for the reason of unpaid fine/s. I am sure the same would apply here, what is wrong when layer after layer of laws actually cloud the real issues. I guess it is all to make it easier for some but decreases the ability of the normal person to have any legal say or options.  S44 is sure a winner for some.

"...which means that the motorists will be fined if they continue driving their cars without their registrations being renewed."

Of course, that only applies to those who register their vehicles in the first place. Must cheaper to pay the tea money on the rare occasion that one is pulled over, than to register every year. Makes both parties happier...and a little wealthier.

53 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

In my country you would go to court for unpaid traffic fines, impounding a vehicle or not renewing registration would be an illegal act by the authorities, I am ignoring the fact that a vehicle may be unroadworthy in which case registration should be denied but not for the reason of unpaid fine/s. I am sure the same would apply here, what is wrong when layer after layer of laws actually cloud the real issues. I guess it is all to make it easier for some but decreases the ability of the normal person to have any legal say or options.  S44 is sure a winner for some.

Bringing home countries logic into the equation is not good for one's constitution.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Set up a traffic court system. Those who don't pay fines with two weeks from the date on a ticket would have to attend court.

If they don't appear in court, they would face an arrest warrant from the court, without possible bail.

The courts would be inundated. Removing, or the threat to remove, vehicles is the quickest, surest way to achieve results.

Edited by daveAustin

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I'm not sure what the problem is, every-time I have been booked they keep your licenses until the fine is paid. There is already a system in place. I am on a first name basis with the pay the fine lady and the get back license guy in pattaya, lol.

I got booked for no car tax at toll gates, gave me a ticket and took my license, payed the fine and my licenses turned up in the mail 2 days later.

What good is cancelling registration when its most likely not the offenders car.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I've been told by a BKK lawyer they are not legally allowed to keep your license.

I think the other problem is that the traffic ticket system is not linked to vehicle registration system...hence people don't pay the traffic tickets. Perhaps with the new law, it would be linked and authorities will be able to cross check to see if a car has a ticket or not.

Simple solution to all this Dont hand out any fines for breaking the rules Then they dont have to pay Police seem to be heading down this track now Carry on Thais drivers rules are meant to be broken and you are so good at it THE SIMPLE SOLUTION MAKE THE POLICE DO THERE BLOODY JOBS:sorry:

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Ah! The western way of thinking.

Problem is most of these don't hold a licence to be confiscated in the first place and shouldn't even be on the road.

Another fine to be ignored.

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I don't think withholding the drivers license, while probably effective against foreigners, would keep a lot of the locals off the road...

4 hours ago, trogers said:

I feel that "making to much sense" headache returning again. 

Dont pay 1 fine dont pay 2 fines.... do you seriously think people are going to now rush in and pay their speeding or other traffic infringements.... nobody cares!!  One would have thought Thai's would know Thai's well enough to know this is not going to make one iota of difference... you still wont get the money out of them.... it's a cultural thing!  Start sending them on holidays to the big house and they might sit up and think a bit differently.

What the...?

It's always been like that, first you had or have to pay any open standing fines before you could or can register your car.

I experienced that myself a couple or three times in the over 40 yrs that I live here.

Looks good in the papers these statements.:saai:

On 22-3-2017 at 8:04 AM, Peterw42 said:

Thailand 4.0 is using camera's to fine drivers....that's the issue.

Yesterday i got stopped at a checkpoint so they could check my bike to see if i had a licenseplate. Many bikes drive around without plates lately.

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 9:21 AM, daveAustin said:

The courts would be inundated. Removing, or the threat to remove, vehicles is the quickest, surest way to achieve results.

Traffic offences are not limited to illegal parking...