Market traders' war - woman who poured burning oil over rival accepts responsibility

webfact

Market traders' war - woman who poured burning oil over rival accepts responsibility

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A market trader who lifted up a wok of boiling oil and poured it over another woman at a market has admitted responsibility.

The incident happened on Friday at a market area behind Phra Samut Chedi boat jetty.

A seller of fried pork balls called Phannipha, 21, and another trader selling salad called Malinee had argued about the direction of a fan blowing fumes away from the wok of oil, reported Sanook.

The argument quickly escalated and a glass was thrown.

But the pork ball trader ended up in ICU where she remains after her adversary tipped the boiling oil over her head and body in a fury.

At first Malinee claimed it was an accident but at Phra Samut Chedi police she admitted a charge of causing grievous bodily harm.

Police also said that Phannipha would face a charge of assault.

How the matter will ultimately be resolved will depend on negotiations about compensation that will take place when the main victim comes out of hospital.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-22

Isn't it amazing how some people in this so-called Buddhist country can apparently explode in the blink of an eye over the most trifle of issues and resort to utterly violent reactions that stand in no proportion to the "offense" allegedly committed by the opposing party?

Especially among the adult population, which should have learned some restraint and reasoning over mindless action, the generally prevailing inability to maturely deal with confrontations of any kind is absolutely baffling.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: This is largely a nation of hot-headed 10-year-olds, and regardless of what the individual's biological age may be. 

Edited by Misterwhisper
correction

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

the main victim

There were others? 

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

The argument quickly escalated and a glass was thrown.

One must simply stop frying pork balls and stand-down when that happens. 

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

At first Malinee claimed it was an accident

Brakes on her flip-flops failed? 

:coffee1:

When a man commits violence in these news articles, everyone starts bashing all Thai men.  When a woman commits violence, all jokes.  Women are just as violent as men and often manipulate men to do violence for them.  

1 hour ago, webfact said:

How the matter will ultimately be resolved will depend on negotiations about compensation that will take place when the main victim comes out of hospital.

That is not on what it should depend.

This is a violent assault and if guilty the one responsible should spend a long time in gaol.

Edited by Bluespunk

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Isn't it amazing how some people in this so-called Buddhist country can apparently explode in the blink of an eye over the most trifle of issues and resort to utterly violent reactions that stand in no proportion to the "offense" allegedly committed by the opposing party?

Especially among the adult population, which should have learned some restraint and reasoning over mindless action, the generally prevailing inability to maturely deal with confrontations of any kind is absolutely baffling.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: This is largely a nation of hot-headed 10-year-olds, and regardless of what the individual's biological age may be. 

Absolutely. If Buddhism is about following a philosophy of being kind to each other, living within our means and not getting caught up with material wealth and items, etc, I'm more Buddhist than most people I've met - and I'm an atheist. 

As my Thai friend asked when he thought he was mature enough to talk openly about religion; "How will people know morals? Right and wrong without religion?".  To which I replied "Being taught compassion, empathy and common sense. To get that nice feeling when you help someone and the reward being only that nice feeling"

"No, no, no, no, ha ha!" looking down at the floor shaking his head and laughing. That was the end of that conversation. In his head he was right. 

As for the oil thrower, she should be in prison for a very long time. Plenty of time to meditate and pray and come out a better person. 

7 hours ago, mercman24 said:

a great shame that it all "boils" down to money (sorry) the police should still bring a prosecution case against this bitch, other lady scared for life now, that is why the laws are so pathetic here.anyone can buy themselves out of even the most heinous crimes ..cops /justice system just doesn't want to know

That's the Thai way. Any benefit gained by jailing her? It isn't as if she's likely to be a repeat offender.

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

I often wonder; does the populace copy the violence portrayed on television (think screaming females on Thai lakorn) or does television merely reflect society? 

Something I've often pondered over. I lean towards the former, which means the tv companies have a lot to answer for. But we know that.

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Now she can go back to the market place and do as she pleases, all she has to say is you want some of the same, I've done it before and I will do it again

12 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I also don't understand why would anyone call Thailand a "Buddhist Country" ?   -  Is it just because of the large number of "['Thai'] Buddhist" temples and "['Thai'] Buddhist" monks in the country ?

It certainly does not seem as though the majority of people in the country are living according to Buddhist-principles.

Edited by andersonat

23 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

When a man commits violence in these news articles, everyone starts bashing all Thai men.  When a woman commits violence, all jokes.  Women are just as violent as men and often manipulate men to do violence for them.  

So true. I've seen some very nasty women in night clubs and bars over the years. Glass, bottle, shoes, and various bits and pieces out the handbag all made use of as weapons when it suits. Nothing glamorous about a female on female fight and people would probably be amazed at the amount of female on male violence. Many men won't report or make a complaint because they fear peer ridicule.

This lady simply let her Thai temper boil over (no pun intended). Younger lady dares to argue and answer back so loss of face, disrespect and immediate retribution. Gonna cost her especially if there's disfigurement.

18 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Absolutely. If Buddhism is about following a philosophy of being kind to each other, living within our means and not getting caught up with material wealth and items, etc, I'm more Buddhist than most people I've met - and I'm an atheist. 

As my Thai friend asked when he thought he was mature enough to talk openly about religion; "How will people know morals? Right and wrong without religion?".  To which I replied "Being taught compassion, empathy and common sense. To get that nice feeling when you help someone and the reward being only that nice feeling"

"No, no, no, no, ha ha!" looking down at the floor shaking his head and laughing. That was the end of that conversation. In his head he was right. 

As for the oil thrower, she should be in prison for a very long time. Plenty of time to meditate and pray and come out a better person. 

Like you i often get tired of religious people claiming that religion helps with morals and compassion and right and wrong. Like we need some imaginary guy in the sky to tell us what is good and bad. 

No religion is needed for that.. the world would be a better place without religion. 

Could not believe the headline,somebody taking responsibility,for something 

they have done, then i read more,at first she said it was an accident,they can

not help themselves,

regards worgeordie

19 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Horrible women , scarred a girl for life for nothing , I despair of humanity sometimes.

There is no doubt whatsoever that it was a dreadful crime. However put yourself in the place of a good number of these market traders. Working in frequently hot and dirty conditions,  never quite enough money to pay the bills so fearful of what tomorrow will bring, customers draped in gold and driving SUVs haggling over a few coins they are only going to dump in the ashtray and forget about... It is enough to bring out the worst in anyone, eventually. 

44 minutes ago, robblok said:

Like you i often get tired of religious people claiming that religion helps with morals and compassion and right and wrong. Like we need some imaginary guy in the sky to tell us what is good and bad. 

No religion is needed for that.. the world would be a better place without religion. 

Amen to that. 

19 hours ago, rkidlad said:

No no no no ha ha, Buddhism here is about amulets and making merit to avoid hell and go to heaven.