Ford tempts buyers with promotions for Bangkok motor show

Anuphas ford Phuket were the really bad service centre, We now use Anuphus for Kok Kloy in Phangna province who genuinely seem to trying to fix our transmission  problem

Just got back from a 90 minute drive and the transmission worked fine until we stopped at are front gate, tried to pull into the driveway and it was stuck in top (6) gear again, stopped the engine in park and restarted it and the transmission worked properly again

Phoned Chris at Ford Kok Kloy and told him i intended to drive the ranger into the ground and hold a public wake/funeral for it and invite the newspapers and any interested members of the public (i am now really pissed of with the ranger).

He asked me to hang off, he has already contacted ford motor company and they will be sending a new valve body down, probably on Monday but he will ring us to confirm this

Only a yank or a ford employee would love fords in Thailand, and from what my wife has been told not many ford employees like them

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Finally. A bad Ranger owner operator speaks up on TV. Can you name the the location of the dealership that seriously dicked you around on this? Don't name it directly, the city/town where it is located will suffice and may be good for future reference.

There's no denying that there are Ford lemons and even more sub-standard dealer service shops. I think the biggest problem is the latter. For example, my 60,000 km Ranger WT 3.2 has had items replaced under warranty that I pointed out to them as well as items that they noted during regular servicing. Parts required have been in-hand within 24-hours. After scheduling the shop appointment, typically 2-5 days wait, the truck has been repaired with the longest repair taking about 4 hours.

And what do you mean by calling me ( a bad ranger owner operator)

I bought my own licensed taxi in Australia in 1975 and did 450,000 Klm"s in it before it was sold with the original motor and Auto trans still in it, The trans was due for a complete rebuild but the motor was fine except for a light piston knock

Whats the most mileage you have got from a Petrol/ gasaline motor 

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I bought my own licensed taxi in Australia in 1975 and did 450,000 Klm"s in it before it was sold with the original motor and Auto trans still in it, The trans was due for a complete rebuild but the motor was fine except for a light piston knock

I put 250,000 MILES on a 1972 Ford Granada V6 with C3/4 auto, one band changed in the box... :smile:

14 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I think he was calling you the owner/operator of a bad Ford.

Not a bad owner/operator of a Ford !!

But that's just my positive read on it :)

37 minutes ago, transam said:

I put 250,000 MILES on a 1972 Ford Granada V6 with C3/4 auto, one band changed in the box... :smile:

That's 400,000 klm mate, i beat you , If you use best quality oil and change your oil filter every service, back in those days every 5,000 Klm engines just keep going if you do not thrash them, only had the transmission bands adjusted not replaced, but i knew and so did the buyer that the transmission was stuffed and had to be replaced when he bought it

The buyer really paid nothing for the car just market value of the taxi plates, about 8M baht at todays prices 

But it was a GM Holden not a Ford falcon

Edited by madmax2

1 minute ago, madmax2 said:

That's 400,000 klm mate, i beat you , If you use best quality oil and change your oil filter every service, back in those days every 5,000 Klm engines just keep going if you do not thrash them, only had the transmission bands adjusted not replaced, but i knew and so did the buyer that the transmission was stuffed and had to be replaced when he bought it

The buyer really paid nothing for the car just market value of the taxi plates, about 8M baht at todays prices 

Oil changed every 3000miles, it was a mini cab....I did re-con the engine at about 150,000miles, but that was just me...Probably would have gone on and on...I did sell it to a family member, no probs...:smile:

23 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Is your wife quite senior in the Thai motor industry?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

She talks to the ford employees every one of the many times we have been to ford for warranty work, its their opinion of fords not hers especially, although she fully agrees with them as i do

I told the ford dealer i intended to post on forums about the fact they could not or cannot fix a problem and quite often not even supply the necessary parts to do it, all of a sudden they are very interested in fixing the transmission problem and giving decent customer service

A long time ago i asked them to replace the transmission if they could not repair it which they agreed to do at the time then changed their mind and said they would not replace it

If they had replaced he trans there would be no bad publicity and i would have been a happy repeat ford customer, now as i have already told them i will never buy another ford or ever recommend anyone else does

I do not think anyone who bought any brand of vehicle would buy the same make again if the dealer had not been able to fix a warranty claim item in 3 years 

3 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Anuphas ford Phuket were the really bad service centre, We now use Anuphus for Kok Kloy in Phangna province who genuinely seem to trying to fix our transmission  problem

Just got back from a 90 minute drive and the transmission worked fine until we stopped at are front gate, tried to pull into the driveway and it was stuck in top (6) gear again, stopped the engine in park and restarted it and the transmission worked properly again

Phoned Chris at Ford Kok Kloy and told him i intended to drive the ranger into the ground and hold a public wake/funeral for it and invite the newspapers and any interested members of the public (i am now really pissed of with the ranger).

He asked me to hang off, he has already contacted ford motor company and they will be sending a new valve body down, probably on Monday but he will ring us to confirm this

Only a yank or a ford employee would love fords in Thailand, and from what my wife has been told not many ford employees like them

That Phuket dealership has been mentioned in other forums as being a bit of a shambles. FWIW, Pattaya also had a less than stellar reputation but based on the last 30,000 km, they have been on the ball. Mind you their sales staff may still be an indifferent bunch but I have seen that in non- Ford franchises as well.

Good luck with the Kok Kloy team. Just in case there's still an issue, I will dig up a link from the Australian Rangers forum where abrasion of a wire harness that runs over the top of the front crank case (underneath the plastic engine cover) has been the source of 'ghost' and intermittent faults on several Rangers between Australia and Argentina and many of the faults are transmission related.

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

We speak English English not Yank/American English ( there is no such thing by the way)

And I speak Scottish English.... No, that's wrong. Let's do that again.

I speak Scottish.

But as others have stated, I didn't mean your were a bad owner operator. I I had wanted to cast nasturtiums on your driving prowess, I would have said "bad owner operator of a Ranger" and not "bad Ranger owner operator".

But I can appreciate your prickliness after 3 years of consistent dissatisfaction.

Edited by NanLaew

Most of Fords transmission problems are caused by their unending quest for the Holy Grail - fuel economy. And customers pay for the learning curve, and suffer the consequences along the way. None of the new electronically controlled models offer a substantial improvement over a torque converter auto box with a lockup. And these transmissions last the life of the engine with maintenance schedules adhered to. And really - how good a fuel economy are you going to get with the bloated models experiencing these difficulties. More advertising hype to get Joe Dumbo to buy one.

On 23/03/2017 at 11:18 AM, little mary sunshine said:

Just Guarantee the transmission will

be trouble free for at least 90k km or

replaced within a week if necessary.

Ford service has gone downhill in the

last few years.

If a Thai salesman "guaranteed" it would you really buy one?

22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I will dig up a link from the Australian Rangers forum where abrasion of a wire harness that runs over the top of the front crank case (underneath the plastic engine cover) has been the source of 'ghost' and intermittent faults on several Rangers between Australia and Argentina and many of the faults are transmission related.

The forum is newranger.net but you'll need to sign up to access the thread regarding the harness abrasion. Here's the picture of mine that I posted on that forum after reading the thread where oil pressure, turbo and random transmission select indicator errors have been caused by damage to the loom at this location.

58d773dec986a_P_20170227_122657(Small).jpg.f2adc5f67492d15ec11478d14a006845.jpg

You will need to pop off the plastic engine cover, easy 4-point plugs and then look at the loom top-center of the front of the engine crank case. Twist the loom upwards to look at the underside. I, like some others, simply stuck a split piece of reinforced garden hose over the top edge of the crank case. Solved.

In 2017 models, a standoff clamp and slightly rerouted loom eliminates the issue and some engines no longer have the 'lobes' on the crank case.

4 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

A smart and simple fix.

:thumbsup:

Well done.

Yeah, one of my previous rides was a Massey Ferguson so we had all sorts of fixes for all sorts of issues. For example, keeps jumping out of gear? Add sawdust. Hard to change gear? Add gear oil.

Typical ford warranty service, was told we would be contacted about the replacement of valve body on Monday, still have not heard from ford, will give it another week before phoning to check what has happened about the new replacement part, probably on its way by sea

Last really reliable ford i owned was a Fordson petrol/kerosene powered tractor

You know the type start them on Petrol/gasoline and when the engine is up to running temperature switch to kerosene, very reliable but you had to adjust the timing so the engine did not rip your arm of if it back firing when cranking the engine by hand to start it

On 3/26/2017 at 2:56 PM, NanLaew said:

The forum is newranger.net but you'll need to sign up to access the thread regarding the harness abrasion. Here's the picture of mine that I posted on that forum after reading the thread where oil pressure, turbo and random transmission select indicator errors have been caused by damage to the loom at this location.

58d773dec986a_P_20170227_122657(Small).jpg.f2adc5f67492d15ec11478d14a006845.jpg

You will need to pop off the plastic engine cover, easy 4-point plugs and then look at the loom top-center of the front of the engine crank case. Twist the loom upwards to look at the underside. I, like some others, simply stuck a split piece of reinforced garden hose over the top edge of the crank case. Solved.

In 2017 models, a standoff clamp and slightly rerouted loom eliminates the issue and some engines no longer have the 'lobes' on the crank case.

We were at the dealer today from 8AM to 6 Pm having the transmission checked but they still cannot find the problem

Got them to check the wiring but its not the same as your picture ours is a 2012 2.2 litre engine and the wiring looks different with clips securing it 

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

We were at the dealer today from 8AM to 6 Pm having the transmission checked but they still cannot find the problem

Got them to check the wiring but its not the same as your picture ours is a 2012 2.2 litre engine and the wiring looks different with clips securing it 

I really tempted to get in on the great deals ford is offering. :cheesy:

I have finally had enough of ford terrible customer care , service and non repairs

Today i advised the service manager that if ford did not supply the parts and 

technician to fix the gearbox problem we have had for three years i will be attaching

2 signs to the rear of the vehicle in English and Thai ASAP, the sign will read

(They can inform me of their decision today)

FORD BUYERS BEWARE

THIS FORD HAS A FAULTY GEARBOX AND

FORD HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIX OR REPAIR IT

IN 3 YEARS

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE TO ME I WOULD NOT BE HAPPY SELLING IT TO ANYONE EXCEPT A CAR DEALER IN ITS PRESENT STATE

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Here's a snapshot of a Lexus V8 shoehorned into a Ranger. Local conversion. Runs OK but apparently needs better aspiration.

58e456d322a22_RangerV8.jpg.32ed4f392651ed936d817697a5cfa4e3.jpg

A small block Chevy or Ford V8 with a carb would be a doddle to stuff in any of our pickups....I can only dream.....:stoner:

8 minutes ago, transam said:

A small block Chevy or Ford V8 with a carb would be a doddle to stuff in any of our pickups....I can only dream.....:stoner:

We had a crazy Czech mechanic up in China who decided to fit a Chrysler V8 from out totally useless heli-portable drill rig power skids into a Toyota BJ45 Toyota crew cab. Took about two months between regular oilfield fleet maintenance and was quite a goer when finished. The biggest issue beyond the massive Chrysler dual fuel filter brackets breaking, was making any sort of exhaust coupling that would stand up to the washboard roads. You could always hear the bloody thing coming from miles away and an essential part of the drivers kit was ear protectors.

14 hours ago, madmax2 said:

I have finally had enough of ford terrible customer care , service and non repairs

Today i advised the service manager that if ford did not supply the parts and 

technician to fix the gearbox problem we have had for three years i will be attaching

2 signs to the rear of the vehicle in English and Thai ASAP, the sign will read

(They can inform me of their decision today)

FORD BUYERS BEWARE

THIS FORD HAS A FAULTY GEARBOX AND

FORD HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIX OR REPAIR IT

IN 3 YEARS

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE TO ME I WOULD NOT BE HAPPY SELLING IT TO ANYONE EXCEPT A CAR DEALER IN ITS PRESENT STATE

I reckon you should jump on this bandwagon as soon as possible. Not limited to Focus and Fiesta owners either.