Ghost rider killed in a head on collision in Phuket

rooster59

7 hours ago, rmacee said:

Guess silly to even think the (Great) British Embassy will provide any level of assistance .. 

Needs to contact the Nicole Sturgeon ..she'll fly the flag ..

<deleted> are you talking about, widow kranky is going to fly to Thailand to assist?. some people need to grasp reality and understand what the consulate system does, it's not the green flag and jumps into action when you call.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having questioned Ms Watt and witnesses around the scene Lt Col Petchanoo confirmed that the motorcyclist was driving in the oncoming lane (known locally as ghost driving) but didn't comment on whether Ms Watt will face any charges. 

Must wait until it's certain that there are no new witnesses (known locally as ghost witnesses) contradicting the other witnesses. :coffee1:

Lot's of Sherlock's talking about the Thai being on the wrong side of the road, where in the report does it state that. It looks like he could have been riding on the correct side and she turned across him to go into the service station. DUI, no helmet and no lights is another issue. RIP sir.

2 minutes ago, mamasbar said:

Lot's of Sherlock's talking about the Thai being on the wrong side of the road, where in the report does it state that. It looks like he could have been riding on the correct side and she turned across him to go into the service station. DUI, no helmet and no lights is another issue. RIP sir.

Well let's see it says it in the title AND in the last 2 paragraphs of the full article. Yup some real detective work going on there.

What a tragic accident, I do hope the lady, her car and any witnesses are all ok.

Had nearly a similar situation leaving a petrol station onto a dual carriage ..checked for any traffic coming from my right ..all clear only suddenly I see 'a bloody idiot' riding a motorbike coming from the left ...insane !!!!

I had the same. But Police were outstanding,just looked how far he and his bike had gone up the road,and were most helpful to me.No charge So sorry Cop Bashers I can't join you .?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have no sympathies for ghost riders,  I believe it's akin to suicide. Recently one popped out from behind a parked car, nearly hitting us. He had a helmetless toddler between his knees!

Looking at Google Earth there is a likely explanation for this accident. Before the accident scene in front of Shell, the road has two lanes for cars and what seems to be a dedicated bike lane.

However, to cater for a U-turn lane, which starts just there, the two car lanes are forced to the left, temporarily taking over the bike lane. It reverts back to status quo a bit further down.

Both driver and rider may have suddenly found themselves in the same lane, although the rider shouldn't have been going against the traffic.

lane 2.JPGlane.JPG

17 hours ago, recom273 said:

Amazing journalism, when wil these people stop defending their own stupidity.

How about

Thai man kills himself - Riding down wrong carriage way wrecking a British woman's car in the process of his suicide. 

The family of the dead man have taken responsibility for the uninsured motorcyclists action and of course will be reimbursing the driver for any hospital bills and damage to her vehicle ..

What day is it? 

Love it

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yawn yawn. Seen people write this a thousand times. It gets boring. Try to write something original next time. Something sensible.

when the law gets sensible, so will i. Thanks for your feedback big guy!

"Nonsense. This claim had been refuted many times, it's an urban myth."

No it s not ! some years ago a friend was driving down soi buakaow in Pattaya at night. He slowed to turn left into a side Soi and a Thai man, on the wrong side of the road, speeding with no lights, no helmet, and later found to be drunk ran into him and was killed. Family wanted 500,000 baht but insurance would only pay 200,000, tho cops urged him to pay the extra. It was the stupid bike riders fault for gods sake, his family should get nothing 

Having questioned Ms Watt and witnesses around the scene Lt Col Petchanoo confirmed that the motorcyclist was driving in the oncoming lane (known locally as ghost driving) but didn't comment on whether Ms Watt will face any charges.

I haven't heard the term "ghost riding" before... is it a local Phuket phrase?

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

No it s not ! some years ago a friend was driving down soi buakaow in Pattaya at night. He slowed to turn left into a side Soi and a Thai man, on the wrong side of the road, speeding with no lights, no helmet, and later found to be drunk ran into him and was killed. Family wanted 500,000 baht but insurance would only pay 200,000, tho cops urged him to pay the extra. It was the stupid bike riders fault for gods sake, his family should get nothing 

I've 'seen' both sides.

The first time when the police were doing their utmost to ensure that my husband stopped arguing that the other driver was at fault (you'll end up in court/you have insurance etc. etc.....) and the second time when he hit a scooter on the wrong side of the road who was clearly drunk or under the influence of drugs.  On the latter occasion the police agreed with him and had no interest in pursuing the matter.

Edit - the first incident was in Krabi, the second on Phuket.

Edited by dick dasterdly

2 hours ago, biggles45 said:

There is a law in Thailand.

Whenever a car and a motorcycle collapse, the car is always fault.

It is even so when a motorcycle drives into the rear of a parked car, the insurrance of the car has to pay the motorcycle's damage and hospitalisation !!!  This happened to my (Thai) wife several years ago. She had her car parked in front of her friend's house and she went inside. One hour later the police knocked on the door because a motorcycle had driven into the rear of her car and was send to an hospital. Witnesses said that the guy on the motorcycle was using his mobile phone when he collapsed into her car. It was broad daylight and there were more cars parked at the side of the street (parking was allowed).

9 hours ago, mamasbar said:

I foresee a long and illustrious posting career for you my friend 

I feel sorry for his friends and family for their loss but that's it. As far as the man is concerned it's one more inconsiderate fool taken off the roads and not a moment too soon. It's only by pure luck that he didn't kill someone else with his stupid actions. 

Edited by eeyang wah