How much time on passport required for retirement (OA) visa?

I have to renew my extension to my retirement visa (OA) in July this year, my passport expires in January 2018, will immigration still issue me with a 12 month visa?

Edited by giddyup

You will need to return to your home country in order to obtain a fresh OA visa. Immigration offices here do not issue visas save in limited cases of non-O conversions.

And the Thai Embassy (or official consulate) back in your home country will almost certainly inform you that they will be unable to issue you a new OA visa in your existing passport. So you will need to obtain a replacement passport first.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume mean an extension of stay based upon retirement. They would do the extension but it would only valid to the date your passport expires.

You will need to get a new passport if you want to get the entire 12 month extension.

Thank you, that makes sense.

• Like 1

Just now, giddyup said:

I have been here 8 years renewing my retirement visa every year at Jomtien immigration, why should it be any different now?

In that case you have not been "renewing your retirement visa every year" but obtaining "annual extensions of stay based on retirement". I am by no means the only one on here who has been confused by the incorrect use of terminology as in this instance!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OJAS said:

In that case you have not been "renewing your retirement visa every year" but obtaining "annual extensions of stay based on retirement". I am by no means the only one on here who has been confused by the incorrect use of terminology as in this instance!

He did mention extension too

@giddyup:  Another factor to consider whether to get the new passport before your next extension or the reverse:

If you choose to get the extension before the new passport, the extension will end in January 2018 when your passport expires.  You will thereafter be applying for one-year extensions in January (December, if you go early).  Depending where you live, the congestion in the Immigrations Office may be significantly worse in Dec/Jan than it will if you can keep your Low Season July date by getting the new passport first.

• Like 2

I have in the past felt it expedient to renew my passport early.

ie. when there is a little over a year left on it.

For the UK they do give you some credit for time lost, in that the new passport will have over 10 years validity.

That way my retirement extensions are of the usual full term, and the only extra effort is the transference of what remains of the extension to the new document. 

2 minutes ago, ICECOOL said:

Was told a few weeks ago by Immigration HH I needed 6 months on my PP for my next extension. I will renew my PP at the Aust Embassy.

There is no rule that says you need 6 months.

The only rule is that if you don't have enough validity your extension will only be issued up to date your passport expires.

23 hours ago, OJAS said:

23 hours ago, OJAS said:

Hi Just trying to help.
Yes indeed I believe the stamp in your passport actually states Retirement Visa, but really the official term is a "Permission to extend annual extension based on retirement."
In addition, one could apply for a new passport at the British Embassy in Bangkok, but this service was stopped a few years ago, but believe there are agents here in Thailand offering a service.

Yes, the rules and regulations keep on changing LOL, but believe one can also look up under Google and should be able to find the information by inputting a question in the box.

Also, certain Countries insist on a validity of 6 months on a passport in order to be able to fly into them and  in any case one can apply for a new one  a long time in advance and the outstanding time will be added on to the date of the new passport.

Hope this helps and yes one gets differing information and agreed it can be confusing.
Good luck

8 hours ago, jwest10 said:

In addition, one could apply for a new passport at the British Embassy in Bangkok, but this service was stopped a few years ago, but believe there are agents here in Thailand offering a service.

Renewing a UK passport here in Thailand is simple,all work is carried out by VFS at Trendy building  sukhumvit soi 13,use "agents" at your peril.

Go online and google renew UK passport pleny of information there with links to the official UK Passport service where eventually you will directed to the VFS service to make an appointment....simple really I did mine mid february and received my new passport 3 weeks later,my retirement extension is due for renewal at Jomtien in three weeks I shall be taking both my now expired one (27th Oct 2017) and the new one to get my "O" visa transfered plus the full 12 months extension.  :thumbsup:

Just now, petermik said:

Renewing a UK passport here in Thailand is simple,all work is carried out by VFS at Trendy building  sukhumvit soi 13,use "agents" at your peril.

Go online and google renew UK passport pleny of information there with links to the official UK Passport service where eventually you will directed to the VFS service to make an appointment....simple really I did mine mid february and received my new passport 3 weeks later,my retirement extension is due for renewal at Jomtien in three weeks I shall be taking both my now expired one (27th Oct 2017) and the new one to get my "O" visa transfered plus the full 12 months extension.  :thumbsup:

I have an Aussie passport, still simple enough to get a new one in Bkk.

On 4/2/2017 at 10:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

I assume mean an extension of stay based upon retirement. They would do the extension but it would only valid to the date your passport expires.

You will need to get a new passport if you want to get the entire 12 month extension.

You are correct, Ubonjoe. I went to CM Immigration last month, March, to renew my annual 'Extension of stay', based on retirement. My UK passport also expires in January 1018. I was given a renewal only until the expiry date of my passport, ie., early January 2018.

I now have to renew my pasport via Bangkok and then revisit CM Immigration, where my stamps will be transferred. I then have to complete the 'Extension of stay' procedure again in December/January.

I have already done the math. I will need to have completed all the information on my new passport early enough for me to revisit CM Immigration before they close for the Christmas and New Year break. (You can renew up to 45 days before expiry date of annual extension.

That also means going early in case of conflict with others pursuing their own requirements before the long seasonal break as well to avoid disappointment and also not leaving it until after the break where many people will be clambering to catch up after the long holiday break.

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, OJAS said:

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, FritsSikkink said:

He did mention extension too

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Indeed the OP did. When it comes to the correct advice, I guess some members just aren't 'with it'.

The OP stated 'renew my extension to my retirement visa (O-A).

To state 'extension', 'retirement visa' and 'O-A' in the same sentence, would confuse all but the more experienced.

The incorrect terminology confused OJAS, as it has even with UJ in the past.

You cannot extend a Visa.

An O-A Visa is not a retirement Visa (no such Visa).

He certainly doesn't have an extension to his O-A Visa, which expired 8 years ago by his own account.

You can only extend your permission to stay.

If giddyup wants the correct advice he should understand the reason why he is allowed to stay in Thailand and use the correct terminology. Don't blame OJAS for the OP's error.

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

You are correct, Ubonjoe. I went to CM Immigration last month, March, to renew my annual 'Extension of stay', based on retirement. My UK passport also expires in January 1018. I was given a renewal only until the expiry date of my passport, ie., early January 2018.

I now have to renew my pasport via Bangkok and then revisit CM Immigration, where my stamps will be transferred. I then have to complete the 'Extension of stay' procedure again in December/January.

I have already done the math. I will need to have completed all the information on my new passport early enough for me to revisit CM Immigration before they close for the Christmas and New Year break. (You can renew up to 45 days before expiry date of annual extension.

That also means going early in case of conflict with others pursuing their own requirements before the long seasonal break as well to avoid disappointment and also not leaving it until after the break where many people will be clambering to catch up after the long holiday break.

You could have obtained a new UK passport beforehand if you had planned ahead.

You can transfer up to 9 months unused from your old passport to your new one, so you wouldn't have lost anything, but would have an extension valid for the full 12 months.

Immigration only close for 2 days over the New Year period.

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

I see you state 45 days prior to the actual renewal date. Not wishing to contradict, but can anyone confirm this please. It will be a great help if this is correct as I will have a 27 day gap between last 90 day and renewal of extension. Thanks in advance.

38 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I see you state 45 days prior to the actual renewal date. Not wishing to contradict, but can anyone confirm this please. It will be a great help if this is correct as I will have a 27 day gap between last 90 day and renewal of extension. Thanks in advance.

Some offices allow extensions to be renewed 45 days prior to the expiry date.

Most are 30 days.

If your 90 day report is due 27 days before expiry of your extension, you can do the two together.

Your report date will be within 30 days of extension renewal.

If your 90 day report is due 27 days after your extension renewal date ask them to reset your 90 day report 90 days from renewal of the extension.

Most offices will oblige.

Edited by dentonian

44 minutes ago, dentonian said:

You could have obtained a new UK passport beforehand if you had planned ahead.

You can transfer up to 9 months unused from your old passport to your new one, so you wouldn't have lost anything, but would have an extension valid for the full 12 months.

Immigration only close for 2 days over the New Year period.

I don't think they will do this with a new Australian passport. I will be renewing 6 months prior to expiry date which I believe is lost, not transferable.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I don't think they will do this with a new Australian passport. I will be renewing 6 months prior to expiry date which I believe is lost, not transferable.

My reply about the passport was purely to Bundooman, who is from the UK.

I quoted his post in my reply.

Just now, dentonian said:

My reply about the passport was purely to Bundooman, who is from the UK.

I quoted his post in my reply.

I realise that, but as I am the OP I felt I could chip in.

2 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Chip away my friend.

Sometimes though, when these situations arise, don't you just wish you were British instead  :sorry:

No. I get my pension increased in keeping with the CPI every year, unlike the Brits who have theirs frozen when they leave the country.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No. I get my pension increased in keeping with the CPI every year, unlike the Brits who have theirs frozen when they leave the country.

Aaaaah! But most of us don't let the bastards know where we are.

On the other hand my Aussie friend only receives a portion of his state pension because he retired here a couple of years before reaching pension age.

Told he will have to go back and do 2 years in Aus in order to return and receive full pension.

Aus tracks the whereabouts of it's own citizens, the UK doesn't even stamp us in and out, but off topic, maybe for a different topic.

Edited by dentonian

3 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Aaaaah! But most of us don't let the bastards know where we are.

On the other hand my Aussie friend only receives a portion of his state pension because he retired here a couple of years before reaching pension age.

Told he will have to go back and do 2 years in Aus in order to return and receive full pension.

Aus tracks the whereabouts of it's own citizens, the UK doesn't even stamp us in and out, but off topic, maybe for a different topic.

Just to correct you. Your Aussie friend can't receive any OAP until he qualifies by doing the 2 years back in Australia. Maybe he receives a private pension from superannuation, but he can't get any government pension.

Just now, giddyup said:

Just to correct you. Your Aussie friend can't receive any OAP until he qualifies by doing the 2 years back in Australia. Maybe he receives a private pension from superannuation, but he can't get any government pension.

You are possibly totally correct.

Unfortunately he has health issues and is incoherent, but fortunately has some friends around to help.