Thailand launches unique residence programme

webfact

3 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Plenty of options for that already.

Its not very competitive with what surounding countries are offering.example simpke one year visa under 50 years of age no 90 days reporting, no border runs just pay and stay.why is this hard to offer it?250000 in a bank account ..

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Thailand residence programme provides a multiple entry visa and allows holders to stay in the country for up to 20 years as the one-year stay extension can be made every year without the usual need to cross the border."

What does this mean?

You have to make a one-year extension of stay every year and if you happen to be outside Thailand when it is due and can't make the extension you forfeit the remainder of your 20 years?

Is this why it says "up to 20 years" ?

4 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

..and they will want the 20 year visa fee paid in full on application...and then change the rules/law relating to it a month later....:cheesy:

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Quite, the right-to-own-land being the classic example, from the original 2003-scheme.

26 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Did you bump your head getting in that Visa run minibus? Not too worry, you won't be doing them a whole lot longer.

Speaking out of experience obviously & never healed really ... or didn't make a difference to begin with.

That elite-right 2 own land-scam definitely happened, just that way. 

5 hours ago, the guest said:

... meanwhile in Malaysia you can get a 10 year visa (free of course and renewable) for you and your whole family, provided you have a skill that is in demand (like a qualified Teacher). 

Just marry a Malaysian, not a Malay no way I am going to change my name to Mohammad for any woman

Only a 5 year hassle free visa I know, at 3500 Baht depending on the exchange rate of course, and at their discretion, maybe just a one year visa at first for 700 Baht but only one visit to immigration for either

The price of alcohol draws your A%&E up to your elbow though

One or two other minor differences which I am not even going to touch on here 5555555

Thailand Elite is a great option for any non-rich foreigner planning on traveling regularly to or living full time in the Kingdom.  Unless your living expenses are equal or below average Thai income, in which case, why would the government/ tourist industry cater for you, really..Like there is not enough poor people living in this country already...Tourism is a business, based on money, nothing to do with being handsome or feeling entitled....

21 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

There will always be an excuse for those that cannot afford it not to buy in to the program. I take it you did read the news yesterday where the ex head of the Thailand Tourist Board received 50 years imprisonment with her daughter likely to get the same for taking bribes in order to bring the National film festival and awards to Bangkok? Maybe your getting your wish. 

Somebody must have got up someone else's nose in a big way. That'snot funny.

some simple questions:

1. so the 800k won't be needed?  then it's only a 200k increase?
  2. why 'up to' 20 years why not '20 years'?
  3. still 90 day reporting?
  4. can use the 'fast track' premium channel at all airports?
  5. no annual immigration saga?
  6. have to give up 'retirement extension'?  if so what happens after 20 years?

I'm confused why some think that the Thailand Elite visa is for 'high rollers'.  It is nothing of the sort.  It is for the average sort of guy or woman, not just for the rich.

I'm no high roller, but I've had an Elite visa for the past few years - best visa investment IMHO.  I'm on holiday in Pattaya right now - not at the Hilton but at a very reasonable 600 baht/night guesthouse.

Seriously, I think that maybe a high proportion of expats who live in Thailand haven't got a pot to p*ss in.  If that's the case, is there any good reason why Thailand should want such expats to live in the country?  (I can't think of one).

Lovethailandelite mentioned that maybe the retirement visa option will not be available in its present form in the future.  I for one, am prepared to bet hard cash on that being the case...

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I've put the 1,000,000 baht up already.

I believe the Elite card is suited and it comes with many inclusions.

1 mil and 20 yrs ?

Wow well lets hope the next ruling Govt, and lets be honest they do change frequently, doesnt cancel it and change the regs at anytime.

In my opinion far too unstable regime to make a 20yr purchase on something that could be null and void at any time.

38 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Seriously, I think that maybe a high proportion of expats who live in Thailand haven't got a pot to p*ss in.  If that's the case, is there any good reason why Thailand should want such expats to live in the country?  (I can't think of one).

There's a BIG difference between folks who may not have enough money vs. those who have plenty of money but DO NOT trust the current and future Thai governments to keep their promises over the long term.  And the reason for the latter, of course, is they almost never do.

There's a BIG difference between folks who may not have enough money vs. those who have plenty of money but DO NOT trust the current and future Thai governments to keep their promises over the long term.  And the reason for the latter, of course, is they almost never do.

The Thailand Elite program has been in place since the Thaksin government (2003 i think), and so far has weathered two coups and multiple government changes. If one is worried about political uncertainty in the Kingdom, and judged by little this program has been afffected throughout recent political turmoil, imo 5 years would be a safe investment...

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I tend to look at theses things in terms of dollars and cents. Some folks with mucho dinero would think differently I guess.

Just for grins here are some facts.

If I paid the Thai government 30K for a 20 year visa instead of investing it in the SP 500 that draws 7% interest.

In 20 years that 30K investment would be worth 121,152 dollars.

Now look at it this way. Is it worth 121,152 dollars for a 20 year visa? Because that is what it will realistically make in 20 years.

(like a qualified Teacher).    ....   well there's plenty of them around,  just go into any bar and look for the most unprofessional looking teachers there.

That's right. Thailand doesn't attract qualified teachers. It also doesn't attract wealthy people.

You pretty much shot yourself in the foot with that comment which I agree is absolutely correct.

On 4/4/2017 at 11:05 AM, wayned said:

I've been here 19 years and 5 days today.  The last time that I left Thailand was a border run to Mai Sot because I screwed up my bank deposit.  I now pay the 1900 baht yearly extension but remember when it was only 500 baht,

A Newbie then ............

15 hours ago, CharlieH said:

1 mil and 20 yrs ?

Wow well lets hope the next ruling Govt, and lets be honest they do change frequently, doesnt cancel it and change the regs at anytime.

In my opinion far too unstable regime to make a 20yr purchase on something that could be null and void at any time.

I haven't sent the 1,000,000 baht off yet,  just put the thought up to the next level ....