Rainy Day Activities?

Being that you are in Bang Por, there are two full sized pool tables on the corner of  Soi Chariya.... sign says Honey Massage (not recommended) but it's in there ! I believe it is 100 baht an hour to play!

It's a block east  of the Soi 5 (7 -11)  where you saw your "what's this" :smile:

At least it sounds like rain has stopped for a while! Maybe a dash to Central would be better! :laugh:

4 hours ago, junglechef said:

Getting cabin fever, any suggestions of things to do indoors?

Do they not spend any time indoors unless it's raining in Samui?  Surely they must have ways to keep themselves busy/occupied.

Cabin fever tends to develop after days or weeks of confinement. Do they really need minute by minute guidance every time there's a shower? Tell they two older boys to keep the youngest one entertained 

30 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Do they not spend any time indoors unless it's raining in Samui?  Surely they must have ways to keep themselves busy/occupied.

Cabin fever tends to develop after days or weeks of confinement. Do they really need minute by minute guidance every time there's a shower? Tell they two older boys to keep the youngest one entertained 

To answer your questions:

Yes, they usually sleep inside and sometimes use the house toilet. 

They do keep themselves busy swimming in the pool, playing on the beach and snorkeling in the sea here.

At night they are allowed an hour of games on non-school nights if we are in otherwise they read or enjoy each other's company doing art and other such activities.

No they don't need minuet to minuet guidance or even hourly, actually they just got in from playing in the storm drain-off during a torrential down pour.

To respond to your other comments and implications:

Cabin fever was just a figure of speech to describe three active boys in a smallish rented beach bungalow on continuous rainy days.

No need to tell them to play with each other, they voluntarily spend very waking minuet together.

But as we are on vacation here I'd like to take them out and do something together since they have been inside most of the time the last few days because we enjoy doing stuff.

One of my sons and myself are racing in the Ko Samui Mountain Bike Race this Sunday in Mae Nam and have been practicing the course at sunrise even in the rain. 

We also went fishing the the other from the shore and are waiting for the seas to calm so we can rent a boat and do some more.

One afternoon we had an American Football game on the beach and taught all other kids how to play.

My boys also like to go to the fresh market with me to shop. We got this amazing Pla Oho (Blue Fin Tuna) this morning and pan seared it for lunch serving it with a lovely homemade Dijonaise sauce. 

We are about to sit out on the porch and play Monopoly.

So that's just a few things we have done outside this week. 

I feel my children have a full life and that going to do an indoor activity out of the house will only add to.

As for me, well looking at this post obviously I have too much free time and might be suffering from cabin fever myself. 

Thanks for your comments, hope you enjoyed mine as much.

57 minutes ago, junglechef said:

To answer your questions:

Yes, they usually sleep inside and sometimes use the house toilet. 

They do keep themselves busy swimming in the pool, playing on the beach and snorkeling in the sea here.

At night they are allowed an hour of games on non-school nights if we are in otherwise they read or enjoy each other's company doing art and other such activities.

No they don't need minuet to minuet guidance or even hourly, actually they just got in from playing in the storm drain-off during a torrential down pour.

To respond to your other comments and implications:

Cabin fever was just a figure of speech to describe three active boys in a smallish rented beach bungalow on continuous rainy days.

No need to tell them to play with each other, they voluntarily spend very waking minuet together.

But as we are on vacation here I'd like to take them out and do something together since they have been inside most of the time the last few days because we enjoy doing stuff.

One of my sons and myself are racing in the Ko Samui Mountain Bike Race this Sunday in Mae Nam and have been practicing the course at sunrise even in the rain. 

We also went fishing the the other from the shore and are waiting for the seas to calm so we can rent a boat and do some more.

One afternoon we had an American Football game on the beach and taught all other kids how to play.

My boys also like to go to the fresh market with me to shop. We got this amazing Pla Oho (Blue Fin Tuna) this morning and pan seared it for lunch serving it with a lovely homemade Dijonaise sauce. 

We are about to sit out on the porch and play Monopoly.

So that's just a few things we have done outside this week. 

I feel my children have a full life and that going to do an indoor activity out of the house will only add to.

As for me, well looking at this post obviously I have too much free time and might be suffering from cabin fever myself. 

Thanks for your comments, hope you enjoyed mine as much.

Send them outside to play; they aren't going to melt or shrink you know.

45 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Send them outside to play; they aren't going to melt or shrink you know.

Did you actually read my post? 

46 minutes ago, smotherb said:

racticing the course at sunrise even in the rain. 

46 minutes ago, smotherb said:

got in from playing in the storm drain-off during a torrential down pour.

etc. 

2 minutes ago, junglechef said:

Did you actually read my post? 

etc. 

Do I have to? There are shopping centers with movies and video games in Samui--ask the staff to get you a cab. 

You really seem to be perplexed by the rain. You have already sent them outside to play; so keep doing it. The weather is not cold, if they chill, they'll come in a have a hot shower. 

There are three of them; can't they play together? I'm surprised they aren't just playing with their cell phones anyway. 

My wife and I took a walk this morning in the rain. We shared an umbrella and went a few blocks for a cup of hot Chinese tea and played played word games.

We came back through the rain without the umbrella--we gave it to a little old lady who was afraid to get wet. Amazingly, we are still alive, but then we took a hot shower . . . .

I wonder how you would handle a real problem.

29 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Do I have to? There are shopping centers with movies and video games in Samui--ask the staff to get you a cab. 

You really seem to be perplexed by the rain. You have already sent them outside to play; so keep doing it. The weather is not cold, if they chill, they'll come in a have a hot shower. 

There are three of them; can't they play together? I'm surprised they aren't just playing with their cell phones anyway. 

My wife and I took a walk this morning in the rain. We shared an umbrella and went a few blocks for a cup of hot Chinese tea and played played word games.

We came back through the rain without the umbrella--we gave it to a little old lady who was afraid to get wet. Amazingly, we are still alive, but then we took a hot shower . . . .

I wonder how you would handle a real problem.

If I wanted my kids to stare at a screen at a movie or video games I'd let them use the iPad more then 1 hr a day (you'd know that if you read my post) as they don't have phones.

Yes they play together (you'd know that too if you read the post you replied to)

I'll take your advice and do things with my 5 yr old that you and your wife do, sure he'll be thrilled

My deepest apologies for doing my best to be a good parent and thank you pointing out that wanting to make my kids enjoy their holiday is a problem. 

Do you have to read my post? No but I bet you could learn something from it 

Just now, junglechef said:

If I wanted my kids to stare at a screen at a movie or video games I'd let them use the iPad more then 1 hr a day (you'd know that if you read my post) as they don't have phones.

Yes they play together (you'd know that too if you read the post you replied to)

I'll take your advice and do things with my 5 yr old that you and your wife do, sure he'll be thrilled

My deepest apologies for doing my best to be a good parent and thank you pointing out that wanting to make my kids enjoy their holiday is a problem. 

Do you have to read my post? No but I bet you could learn something from it 

As I said, do I have to?  

Just now, Gerard052 said:

When I was that age, never had any problems with entertainment.  What the hell is wrong with this new generation????

Nothing wrong with some of this generation

Lots wrong with some of the old fogeys and their negative attitudes presented in this thread 

Is it really that bad that I want to take my kids out and do something for an afternoon??

1 minute ago, junglechef said:

Nothing wrong with some of this generation

Lots wrong with some of the old fogeys and their negative attitudes presented in this thread 

Is it really that bad that I want to take my kids out and do something for an afternoon??

A little initiative goes a long way.

8 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

A little initiative goes a long way.

Exactly, that was what I was doing when I posted this to the friendly folk of Samui TV. 

Too bad the spoil sports had to weigh in too.

Thank you to those who posted helpful replies, appreciate it!

7 minutes ago, junglechef said:

Exactly, that was what I was doing when I posted this to the friendly folk of Samui TV. 

Too bad the spoil sports had to weigh in too.

Thank you to those who posted helpful replies, appreciate it!

There you go, somebody made your day so the sun is shining again.

Dam n... member is just after a bit of input.

Not outdoors but there is always pizza making. Kids like the art aspect and they also learn about food combinations and preference. Eight toppings to choose from but can only use four so have to choose. Could also make a cake or cookies though that would be less healthy than pizza.

35 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Dam n... member is just after a bit of input.

Not outdoors but there is always pizza making. Kids like the art aspect and they also learn about food combinations and preference. Eight toppings to choose from but can only use four so have to choose. Could also make a cake or cookies though that would be less healthy than pizza.

Good morning, 

Another wet one :sad: , just went out for a cycle and got caught in the deluge!

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately we are staying in a basic rental bungalow with only a burner and no oven or kitchen equipment beyond very basic, place is great, on beach with pool but limited otherwise.

No worries about the naysayers but I have come to the conclusion that there really isn't much of what I had in mind as Samui really caters only to being outdoors.

Many of the comments are a bit amusing as my kids never once complained, said they were bored etc and seem to be happy keeping themselves amused, though I have relaxed my 1 hr of computer game rule a bit. 

Hope all enjoy their day in the rain :smile:

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Take them bowling at Tesco Samui.

Not that good advise, as the bowling has been closed for a year or longer, now...:sad:

Edited by khunPer

Central Festival has numerous indoor activities, if you're prepared to spend little money on the kids, and furthermore the cinemas, where both "Smurfs" and "The Boss Baby" might be of interest, the last movie is also really great fun for grown-ups...

When in Central Festival, visit the Central Department Store and head up 2nd floor to the toy-department and buy a Monopoly game – there's a huge selection from the well known classic one, to some smarter "modern time" style (which I don't know much about, we prefer the classic one, where you yourself – then your kids may wish rainy days to continue...:thumbsup:

19 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

As you are a chef, considered a cooking class for the kids.

http://www.kosamui.com/samui-thai-cooking-schools.htm

Great idea, my kids love cooking and are quite good as I posted they prepared a classical French meal with me already here in our limited kitchen. Unfortunately, actually VERY fortunately, we live on an organic farm up north and they cook their own Thai food often and are quite the little gourmands with great knife skills and honed palates who talk about opening a restaurant. 

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

Central Festival has numerous indoor activities, if you're prepared to spend little money on the kids, and furthermore the cinemas, where both "Smurfs" and "The Boss Baby" might be of interest, the last movie is also really great fun for grown-ups...

When in Central Festival, visit the Central Department Store and head up 2nd floor to the toy-department and buy a Monopoly game – there's a huge selection from the well known classic one, to some smarter "modern time" style (which I don't know much about, we prefer the classic one, where you yourself – then your kids may wish rainy days to continue...:thumbsup:

Not really interested in any more "screen time", actually haven't been to the movies in ages, my kids also make better popcorn and with downloading just isn't worth the money especially when we can "pause to pee" at home :smile:

Downloaded Monopoly on the iPad last week and have been playing Crazy 8s and other card games of my youth.

19 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Take them bowling at Tesco Samui.

FYI Yesterday we did try Bowling and the video arcade, Pirates of the Marioland in Central Vegetable Mall, but both are closed, the later recently boarded up. 

I appreciate all the suggestion, and apologize for blowing them off like I'm hard to please (which might be true)

Seems the rain in holding off for now and they are back on the beach exploring all the new water channels and other results of the  storm.