Was hit by car in a crosswalk. Enough is enough.

THAlx

Just use your senses. Thailand is not like home, always be aware of your surroundings, in the beginning everything is confusing but after a while you will get used to it. Do not panic, just go with the flow and never close your eyes. It can be dangerous here and people who gets injured or dies in accidents did not pay attention.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, balo said:

Just use your senses. Thailand is not like home, always be aware of your surroundings, in the beginning everything is confusing but after a while you will get used to it. Do not panic, just go with the flow and never close your eyes. It can be dangerous here and people who gets injured or dies in accidents did not pay attention.

I think the thai boy of 17 years without insurance and a driving license was also not paying attention enough when he with high speed ran over the german lady that was trying to cross the road on a zebra.

I almost got run over by a loon in Canton years ago pushing a baby stroller along with a few other people the young hoon did not respect the crossing and being wise to parts of the world where this is a common occurance you don't just cross because the little green man tells you to.

He got mobbed as a result but we could all have been wiped out.

On a positive note Pattaya beach road been slightly improved i think more zebra signs are hanging and a speed hill was placed indicating 30 km.its nicer to walk there when vehicles drive 40 km instead of 90km kindly install more speedhills and make the zebra crossings there more safe.

3 hours ago, partington said:

I don't believe in cultural relativism. There are certain objective moral truths.

One of these is that a society that facilitates an unnecessarily large number of preventable deaths is worse than a society which minimises them, because deaths cause a great burden of human suffering.

Thai driving habits have caused their country to have the second or third highest road traffic mortality per capita in the entire world.  

This is not a marginal or insignificant amount: per 100,000 vehicles on the road Thailand's drivers cause 15 times more fatalities than UK drivers, and 6 times more fatalities than US drivers per year. Injuries and maimings are also proportionally higher.

I do not feel the view that 'this is just how things are so let's just accept' it is justified . Thais kill more of their citizens on the road than 200 other countries  because of the way they are allowed to drive. This needs prevention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Agreed, describing behavior so dangerous and destructive as "their culture" is more of the soft bigotry of low expectations we see on this forum.  "They are only Thai, they don't know better.". Might as well call stonings and FGM " culture," too.  The spicy food they cook is culture, having no regard for human life is not; it is shear arrogance, ignorance and stupidity.  

9 hours ago, idman said:

I am replying to the earsling who questioned why I stay here in Chiang Mai. The answer is an easy one so that even he can understand. The weather, the food, the peace and quiet, the cost of living, the variety of activities, the ability to get away rather easily. Oh, wait for it. I can get boinked 24/7/365 by some of the most beautiful women in the world at a price that still boggles my mind. Has my answer satisfied your ignorance about MY own reasons for staying here despite the few things that bother me? Gosh, for my peace of mind I hope so.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have no idea what an earsling is, but either way, I am that person.

The few things that bother you? You referred to the locals as "cluelss dimwits" added that  "we as Farangs appear to be nothing more than a nuisance" and that   "given any opportuinty Thais will <deleted> me over while giving me that phoney Thai smile"  "there are always going to be times when I just want to say "<deleted> this <deleted>, take your <deleted> Country and shove it where the sun doesn't shine." 

If I disliked and distrusted a group of people that much I wouldn't be choosing to live in their country unless there was something other than the fact that it is cheap and the weather is good. Oh, I forgot, you did mention the availability of beautiful women that you can 'boink' every day at a price that boggles your mind. Maybe that little nugget of information explains why you have such a low opinion of the Thais .... you're probably not meeting many regular Thai people. 

Imagine visiting countries in  Europe or wherever, spending most of your time hanging around the red light district of that country and then using that experience as a way of judging the people of that country. Some people do that here. Whether that is you, I don't know, but it sure sounds like it because you don't seem to meet the Thais that I meet. 

19 hours ago, sanemax said:

Hes a hint about crossing the road .

Walk to the traffic lights, press the button and wait for the cars to stop, then walk across the road .

Make eye contact with the drivers and hold your hand up , just to ensure that he has seen you and he will stop

Its quite easy to cross the road 

I did that that recently and was almost run over by a motorbike that came whizzing in between the stopped cars. I avoid zebra crossings now.

46 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I did that that recently and was almost run over by a motorbike that came whizzing in between the stopped cars. I avoid zebra crossings now.

Al you have to do is to keep looking in the direction of the traffic

I did go to that road crossing yesterday at 5 PM .

I walked to the traffic lights , pressed the button, waited to the lights to change and then crossed the road .

I stayed there for about ten minutes and watched this process happen on numerous occasions .

The OP seems to have been waiting for 7 minutes by the side of the road, further down from the traffic lights , a three lane road , where four roads converge  with a total of seven lanes of traffic all converging into three lanes along the main road and he wonders why there was no let up in the traffic !!!!!!!!

So, he decided to walk across the road, expecting all the cars to stop for him !!!!

Roads are for vehicles , pavements are for people and there are designated places for people to cross the road

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Al you have to do is to keep looking in the direction of the traffic

Motorbikes and cars often go the wrong way on the road.

I was in front of Central World and watched LOTS of cars ghost driving into on-coming traffic.

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Where are they winnie?

That's why I included a link.  Or if you're further South from there, then crossing at the T junction where the road becomes two-way is easier, or South from that it's easier to cross at Chang Phuak Gate. 

And then North from there the next one is at Tops, and so on.

However the OP mentioned 3 lanes, so that makes it likely he was talking about the stretch between the bus station and close to Chang Phuak gate.  There are several sane places to cross there, instead of doing a mad dash like some crazy Farang lady.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If we took a vote on the worst place in CM to cross a substantial road I would nominate crossing Hang Dong Rd to go to Airport Plaza and returning to maybe catch a songteaw.

The previously painted crossing lines have faded into obscurity and around the corner hreading to the airport there are none to my knowledge .People makea  run to the "island" and then gathering their wits make a run towards the Plaza.

How a major shopping centre was allowed  not to  provide safe access for pedestrians I will leave to your imagination

The idea of living in Thailand left me long ago...on recent vist of 3 months i decided i stayed 1 month to long...back in 2012 when i lived-in BKK i was clipped twice on the leg on the footpath by motorcycles, once nearly run over on the footpath but a lunatic charging into a supermarket car park, another time a big black 4 wheel drive tried to intimidate me off the footpath coming out of the same supermarket car park....and there are more examples...the last day in BKK 6 hrs before my plane was to take off i was run down on a zebra crossing by a motorbike, i was able to get up and walk away cant say the rider could ride his bike away...

Last vist i so much wanted to walk around with an axe over my shoulder....Thais are god dam pigs when it comes to road sense, absoultly no thought for pedestrians...i hope traffic congestion grows another 5o% in the next few years...

Nope not a place for older people to live thats for sure, and its just as mad driving....one time drove the exTGF's car to hua hin, was raining sitting on 100k an hour morons flying up behind you wizzing around you either side...cutting you off...lunatics...one day the thai government will wake up that they can earn a load of money from motorists....

47 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

The idea of living in Thailand left me long ago...on recent vist of 3 months i decided i stayed 1 month to long...back in 2012 when i lived-in BKK i was clipped twice on the leg on the footpath by motorcycles, once nearly run over on the footpath but a lunatic charging into a supermarket car park, another time a big black 4 wheel drive tried to intimidate me off the footpath coming out of the same supermarket car park....and there are more examples...the last day in BKK 6 hrs before my plane was to take off i was run down on a zebra crossing by a motorbike, i was able to get up and walk away cant say the rider could ride his bike away...

Last vist i so much wanted to walk around with an axe over my shoulder....Thais are god dam pigs when it comes to road sense, absoultly no thought for pedestrians...i hope traffic congestion grows another 5o% in the next few years...

Nope not a place for older people to live thats for sure, and its just as mad driving....one time drove the exTGF's car to hua hin, was raining sitting on 100k an hour morons flying up behind you wizzing around you either side...cutting you off...lunatics...one day the thai government will wake up that they can earn a load of money from motorists....

The word is "goddamn."

There seem to be more and more threads started about the driving here.

I agree, it's madness and inconsiderate.  

When the light turns green it's pin the throttle and see how fast you can go before having to brake for the next light.  Makes the times in between traffic lights difficult to cross safely.

I'm just guessing, but your appearance isn't going to prevent your from being hit.

Also, it's going to be more than the crazy driving that's going to break the camel's back... there are quite a few things that just might tick those other boxes.

My list is constantly changing and the more time I spend out of CM and see other places, the more fun I realize I'm having there.   I left CM for 5 weeks to escape the smoke.  Hiking in the local jungle here and seeing more wild animals in 1 day than in 4 years hiking in CM has me checking off more boxes.

The friendliness and helpfulness of people in neighboring countries has/is becoming more apparent to me.  More genuine hellos, smiles and friendly conversations has me checking off more boxes.

Thailand has some good things going for it as a SEA place for some people to live and it is easy to live there, the retirement visa isn't too complicated.
What's working for me now is considering it less as a place to live and more a place to visit or base for travel.    

So... try another place in thailand before letting one place force you to leave.   I still enjoy going up to chiang rai for week.  Good people there not ruined yet with the greed... but I fear it's coming.
Someone mentioned BKK and I know it's even more of a zoo, but it's a great place to live if it fits in with what you like to do.

Edited by Nowisee

29 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

The friendliness and helpfulness of people in neighboring countries has/is becoming more apparent to me.  More genuine hellos, smiles and friendly conversations has me checking off more boxes.

The strange thing is that more and more Europeans/Americans are coming to Thailand instead of your friendly neighbouring countries.

Which of these neighbouring countries do you recommend?

Thaix

My thanks to you for clarifying the land of smiles - greater car ownership has transformed the so called gentle Thai into a monster who has little respect for others, who has an ego so large that it rivals the worst of the male species

I sympathize with you and fully understand your thoughts of moving on

This obnoxious behaviour is a direct result of greed and egocentricity

Next time carry a brick with you and throw it at the vehicle and summon the police at the same time

Next time carry a brick with you and throw it at the vehicle and summon the police at the same time

That's good advice. Perhaps you should try that yourself some time. Video it. Let's us know how it all comes out. 

I have been living in Asia-SE Asia for over 30 years. I have never been hit or bumped or anything by a car, bus, motorbike or tuk tuk. And I should add that I have ridden a Vespa for 20 of those years and a scooter and chopper (and driven a car) the rest. Oh, and I walk too. 

My feeling is that a lot of drivers here are just not skilled. And new drivers learn by watching other, unskilled drivers. Of course you get the hot-heads who adapt the Thai national pastime of tailgating (but is this not true of many other countries?). And you get the Thais who have no sense of consequences for an action.
But overall, I feel pretty safe driving here. There will be dumbasses from time to time, but that's just part of the calculation of getting behind the wheel here. If you aren't willing to accept that, don't drive. 

As for crossing the roads here...seriously? This topic is a non-starter. As the old US commercial for Wendy's used to go: "Where's the beef?"

I learned how to cross the road by myself when I was like six years old. Get a grip!

4 hours ago, JGV said:

Thaix

My thanks to you for clarifying the land of smiles - greater car ownership has transformed the so called gentle Thai into a monster who has little respect for others, who has an ego so large that it rivals the worst of the male species

The thing is, it's like this everywhere in the world.  Do you not know that people become someone else behind the wheel of a car?  You can't be this ignorant. 

21 hours ago, JGV said:

Thaix

Your choice of words is very revealing, but not uncommon here. Treatment is available. The other option is to do as Thaix is proposing, accept that it's not for you, and move on. Remaining and not changing your ways shouldn't be an option. Best of luck.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

17 hours ago, Berkshire said:

The thing is, it's like this everywhere in the world.  Do you not know that people become someone else behind the wheel of a car?  You can't be this ignorant. 

You're being a bit harsh, it's not ignorance it's mental illness. Two of the symptoms of which are

• Hyper-irritability, may include inappropriate anger and hostility.
  • Excessive critical reactions to host culture/stereotyping.
Edited by Chiengmaijoe

On 4/6/2017 at 2:05 AM, Dante99 said:

Yeh, just keep walking and they swarm around you.  Stop, or make eye contact as if you might stop or pause and the shit hits the fan because you are not expected to do that.

Easiest to walk very very close to some locals who are crossing, there are some timming considerations on starting.

I never was able to find any locals crossing the road in C M when I wanted to. 

However, to the OP, if not actually working in LOS, there are beautiful places in Thailand where one can cross  the road safely- the islands or the gulf coast below Chumphon.

Would be a pity to give up on Thailand just because of C M traffic.

If I had the choice I'd move to Chaloklum on Phangan. Nice quiet village and beautiful sea views.

On 4/10/2017 at 10:29 PM, Trujillo said:

That's good advice. Perhaps you should try that yourself some time. Video it. Let's us know how it all comes out. 

I have been living in Asia-SE Asia for over 30 years. I have never been hit or bumped or anything by a car, bus, motorbike or tuk tuk. And I should add that I have ridden a Vespa for 20 of those years and a scooter and chopper (and driven a car) the rest. Oh, and I walk too. 

My feeling is that a lot of drivers here are just not skilled. And new drivers learn by watching other, unskilled drivers. Of course you get the hot-heads who adapt the Thai national pastime of tailgating (but is this not true of many other countries?). And you get the Thais who have no sense of consequences for an action.
But overall, I feel pretty safe driving here. There will be dumbasses from time to time, but that's just part of the calculation of getting behind the wheel here. If you aren't willing to accept that, don't drive. 

As for crossing the roads here...seriously? This topic is a non-starter. As the old US commercial for Wendy's used to go: "Where's the beef?"

I learned how to cross the road by myself when I was like six years old. Get a grip!

The problem in C M is that they don't have enough pedestrian crossing lights, and one has to run to live when crossing without lights. 

When going anywhere in C M I always planned my route to utilise the few pedestrian crossings that do exist.

If you want a sane place in Asia that won't bust your bank account try Indonesia or Malaysia.   It depends what you're after, but I believe traffic is much saner in both of those places.   If you want city living, you have Jakarta or Kuala Lumpur, or you can try for Pontianak or Kuching if you like life slower.   Your money, and your life, will last much longer in both of those places.

Edited by Koguma

Chang Mai for me is too crowded with westerners who all seem a bit loud and unsympathetic to a relaxed environment which CM centre is not. The only city I ever walked down in Thailand and heard many English speakers speaking. Was an odd feeling.

It reminded me of a university town with loads of little punks just being punks.

I think I went to the wrong spots in that place to be honest. 

Bangkok is a polluted hell hole and your escape route is a lift upto the Fresher air. Some things are cool about BKK but overall it was a disappointment and shopping gets boring but the food was great.

Khon kaen is my kind of city. Fairly big has a a good amount of variety the farang factor is spread out a bit so it's still got a lot of Thai charm that I like. It's under sold in many respects but maybe that's why I like it. Less like home more like thailand.

The islands are full of alcoholic expats in denial. Apologies to the minority who are teetotal or Muslim but you know what I mean. Not met many expats on those islands who were not full blown or enroute. Lovely islands too soften a strange one.