Pick-up seating ban a slap in the face for Thailand's poor!

webfact

...Now imagine the outrage if people were asked to wear helmets on motorbikes!

80-90% of road deaths involve motorbikes. Better start there if they are serious about saving lives.

No licence / alcohol / speeding - impound the bike for a month. 3 offences - steamroll the bike.

If they can afford a bike they can afford a cheap helmet.....they care more about messing up their hair / it's too hot. It won't matter if their head is not attached to their body!

But now they will allow 6 people in the back of a pickup...what a compromise. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

Which one was that? Was it the one that bought rural votes with a cash handouts from trucks? Plenty of knuckles on the floor. Time for the masses to evolve.

they are people

not serfs

your attitude reminds me of that of a dictator

14 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Is Mr T coming back? Things like this will only strengthen his cause. Why did the people luv him in the country areas? because he knew they didn't drive Ferrari', drink red bull and travelled the millionaires circuit. The General lives in a parallel world compared to the rest of Thailand. The longer he stays the greater the distance he puts in on the local folk.

Were you around in the days of Mr T?

Doesn't sound like it. Not going to get into an off topic debate about him, but to think he would care if the poor ride in the back of pickups is, IMO, ludicrous. He was popular because of populist, unaffordable schemes, not because he cared about them.

Re the OP, if my relatives have to transport the "Burmas" that they employ inside vehicles, I'll be :cheesy:.

19 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

It wont be enforced. Simple as that.

Yes it will.

Just like so many laws it will be subject to selective / can't be arsed today enforcement.

Those feeling the hand of the law will be able to pay the fine, woe betide any farang who is persuaded to take the family with some in the back.

17 hours ago, mercman24 said:

one paragraph says it all, "everyone knows it is illegal to travel in the cargo bay of a pick up,  whats the cost of a pick up now a days ,1-5 million ?? for a "poor" family"  same old story flaunting the law for years, same as "poor" families buying  30,/ 40,000 baht scooters and cant affford helmets.

I guess you're forgetting second hand and bank loans/credit. Can't afford helmets? Yes they can, they just don't wear them.

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

I guess you're forgetting second hand and bank loans/credit. Can't afford helmets? Yes they can, they just don't wear them.

Where I was living south of Chiang Mai, the cops did a road block for helmet fines every morning, and many wore a helmet to the road block, then once passed took the helmet off :shock1:.

16 hours ago, DavisH said:

At least now I can get my wife to wear the seat belt in the back lol

Without one in a car crash she could easily end up killing the passenger or driver as she would act like a missile of sorts 

boy oh boy.... do we all get a lot of mileage out of the "Thailand is a poor country" thing...

works for all kinds of stuff....

and the solution for all kinds of stuff..... is more money..... 

except it ain't.

Edited by maewang99

5 minutes ago, JustNo said:

Without one in a car crash she could easily end up killing the passenger or driver as she would act like a missile of sorts 

As a coincidence, I told her that just yesterday:)

Funnily enough I don't see the majority of Thai people asking any falang particularly the pundits on TV how they should live their lives. Honestly I think this forum is getting worse nearly every thread derides Thai culture, laws, belief systems, religion even the way they speak English. Why should the majority of Thais speak English? This is Thailand. What To help facilitate grumpy <deleted> who are to lazy, ignorant or stupid to learn the language of their adopted country? Or maybe to help them more easily get by in a country they hate everything about except for the weather and the exchange rate. Imagine the outrage if there was a forum like this in our own home countries written by disgruntled immigrants continually deriding every bit of our society.  Be <deleted> rioting in the streets.

An important issue for sure and one of many road safety concerns that have needed redress for years. However, all this static about who and how the new enforcement policy effects is much to do about nothing. Those of us who have resided here a long time know exactly how this will unfold. In and around Bangkok, there enforcement will be spotty and will last anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks, then back to normal. Out here in the sticks where I now live (way up north in Beung Kan) there will be (and is as of today) zero enforcement. Local police up here enforce no road laws and rarely come out of their station houses except on Friday afternoon when they have to collect from truck drivers and helmetless motorsai.drivera to fund their weekend activities.

3 minutes ago, spacelord said:

An important issue for sure and one of many road safety concerns that have needed redress for years. However, all this static about who and how the new enforcement policy effects is much to do about nothing. Those of us who have resided here a long time know exactly how this will unfold. In and around Bangkok, there enforcement will be spotty and will last anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks, then back to normal. Out here in the sticks where I now live (way up north in Beung Kan) there will be (and is as of today) zero enforcement. Local police up here enforce no road laws and rarely come out of their station houses except on Friday afternoon when they have to collect from truck drivers and helmetless motorsai.drivera to fund their weekend activities.

Same up my joint be lucky to be 6 cops for the whole town. 1 guards the Gold shop, 1 at the main intersection, 1 in the station, 2 driving around looking for hi-lo and one eating. They couldn't possibly enforce the law even if they were that way inclined it's just not feasible. 

16 hours ago, Artisi said:

An interesting statistic would be the total number of deaths resulting from pick-up accidents compared to buses, vans and taxis, would think pick-ups would be well down the list. 

But as usual,  the powers that be shoot off mouth before putting brain in gear thinking what appears as a simple fix will cure all the road deaths - how about drink drive, speed, stupidity, not road worthy etc. 

The enforcement of these laws comes before the Songkran Festival , when I believe motor cyclists are among the greatest number of accidents and deaths .  There appears to be a large number of highway police , yet they appear only from time to time to check road tax and drivers licences .  I do agree though that owners of pickups who transport people on a regular basis should create a Songthaw with proper seating and insurance .  The police are going to have to be on constant patrol early and late .

1 hour ago, Netzero said:

A decision to allow people to continue to sit or stand in the bed of a pickup truck over Songkran is a decision to allow people to die. It's not an IF it will happen - it WILL happen and does frequently. I have lived in Thailand for 20 years - it's always the same story and excuses. What is needed is a change of behavior and while an over night decision to enforce existing laws prohibiting passengers in the bed of a pick up was a bit too shocking - ultimately the decision must be taken. Will it have the most effect on the poor -yes it will - but it will also save lives of the poor.

'change of behaviour' and you state you have been here 20 years. Ha!

yet more arbitrary legislation without though for conequence.

Much like the removal of vendors long standing locations and source of income without any thought of retraining or relocation, simply wiping out the livelihood of thousands, the junta blithely cancels one of the sole mehtods of transporting labour and the lower classes without any thought of how this will affect lives or offering any alternative.

Sheer indifference to the well being of the people..

20 minutes ago, starky said:

Funnily enough I don't see the majority of Thai people asking any falang particularly the pundits on TV how they should live their lives. Honestly I think this forum is getting worse nearly every thread derides Thai culture, laws, belief systems, religion even the way they speak English. Why should the majority of Thais speak English? This is Thailand. What To help facilitate grumpy <deleted> who are to lazy, ignorant or stupid to learn the language of their adopted country? Or maybe to help them more easily get by in a country they hate everything about except for the weather and the exchange rate. Imagine the outrage if there was a forum like this in our own home countries written by disgruntled immigrants continually deriding every bit of our society.  Be <deleted> rioting in the streets.

This festival of intolerance they call a forum has been carefully cultivated of late through the censorship and culling of the alternative view point until it has reached its target demographic. 

This is thai visa, once a source of news, entertainment and amusement - now a temple to the intolerant, unhappy and disenfranchised.

20 minutes ago, starky said:

The migrants in most Western countries now don't bother writing into fora, they just take their sh1t onto the streets and cause havoc, mayhem, and murder to suit themselves and then hide behind the racial and religious  card and in turn demand we change to their ways. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

These included making it law to put a roof on the back of pick-ups, limiting the number of occupants in the back to just seven and focusing on being strict in enforcing the law on fast roads such as highways, motorways and toll ways.

Makes sense to me but what about a poor Thai. He has to spend money putting on a roof on the back of his truck be strict about how many just "jump" into the back. He knows all to well that a guy in a brown suit is out there waiting for him a guy that has 10 fingers to count with. 

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

The migrants in most Western countries now don't bother writing into fora, they just take their sh1t onto the streets and cause havoc, mayhem, and murder to suit themselves and then hide behind the racial and religious  card and in turn demand we change to their ways. 

Yes why cant they just assimilate like retirees in thailand?

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

...Now imagine the outrage if people were asked to wear helmets on motorbikes!

80-90% of road deaths involve motorbikes. Better start there if they are serious about saving lives.

No licence / alcohol / speeding - impound the bike for a month. 3 offences - steamroll the bike.

If they can afford a bike they can afford a cheap helmet.....they care more about messing up their hair / it's too hot. It won't matter if their head is not attached to their body!

But now they will allow 6 people in the back of a pickup...what a compromise. 

Thought helmets were already compulsory - or have I missed something? 

17 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Songthaews used extensively to transport individuals for a fee are frequently packed with people. I've seen so many crammed in that it was body to body i.e. standing , sitting, hanging off the back step etc. Is there a safety law for these - for profit -  privetely owned/operated vehicles?  They are a hazard to passengers and also on the roads as the drivers act like they own all thoroughfares.

You make a good point the law seems to end with the songtaews but then pick up again and applied to the poor. A lot of posts hit on the fact that even the poor must obey the law but the law has laid lax for so long its a re-education program doomed to failure. Making a living here can be life threatening especially riding in the back of a pickup to get to where you make a living. If you are stopped from getting to your place of employment do you then line up at the welfare office for a handout like in the west? 

18 hours ago, mercman24 said:

one paragraph says it all, "everyone knows it is illegal to travel in the cargo bay of a pick up,  whats the cost of a pick up now a days ,1-5 million ?? for a "poor" family"  same old story flaunting the law for years, same as "poor" families buying  30,/ 40,000 baht scooters and cant affford helmets.

A family that saves up, borrows etc for a down payment of 100-200, 000 baht and then between them  has to make monthly payments of perhaps 10,000 baht might be "poor"... yes.  For the poor families in rural areas it's about their only option.

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

Thought helmets were already compulsory - or have I missed something? 

Yes they are compulsory like the not riding in the back of a pickup truck is. It is also a source of revenue if your funneled into a road side spot check. The road side check will soon be adding riding in the back of a pickup truck to the revenue list. 

2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

A family that saves up, borrows etc for a down payment of 100-200, 000 baht and then between them  has to make monthly payments of perhaps 10,000 baht might be "poor"... yes.  For the poor families in rural areas it's about their only option.

Yes your right and along the way they can also from time to time be the local 2nd class minibus with rear seating and a contribution to operating costs. I know of one guy when I lived in a village in Phitsanulok province that you could call and he would appear at your home at 9.00 a.m. and for a 1000 bahts  he was your personal chauffeur for the day. I am going back some 6 years now. 

Only in Thailand -

We're not going to enforce the law... we're going to let you do something illegal and incredibly dangerous because the alternative (riding busses) is incredibly dangerous as the drivers are likely to be drunk and/or stoned, untrained and the vehicles poorly maintained... because we don't enforce the law.

It's right the government is enforcing this law.  It's so dangerous to allow people to ride in the flat bed of a pick up truck.  I see families, babies and children standing up in the back of a speeding pickup truck nearly every day.  Usually they are going to, or coming back from a party... and the driver is unlikely to have abstained from drinking either!

Playing the 'I am poor' card won't wash it... how will they pay for the mass funeral of their family when they get killing in a road accident.. how will they pay for medical expenses (from a good hospital) when their loved ones are crippled and injured, and how will they pay for the things they need when people are dead or injured and can't work and bring in the money?

They are not soo poor as to have no money to use a bus or songtaew.  Songtaews are so cheap, frequent and easy to use. 

The poster who said he regularly transported people in the flat bed of his truck... to save journeys, think how you would feel if your had an accident and they were killed... would you think saving a few back and forth journeys was worth it?