No timetable yet for elections: PM Prayut

webfact

No timetable yet for elections: PM
By The Nation

5c2b9785657b33d7541b917cf3611745.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Despite the promulgation of the new Constitution, the Kingdom has no clear schedule yet for the next general election, the prime minister said.

In his televised national address after the promulgation on Thursday, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said his government still could not provide a clear schedule as organic laws needed to be passed in preparation for the vote.

The premier stressed that although the new charter had come into effect, the Cabinet, the National Council for Peace and Order and the rest of the current administrative personnel would continue, at least for the time being. 

The government has no desire for power or wealth, he reiterated, adding that at the same time it cannot turn a blind eye to various national issues. 

He promised that his government would hand over power to a new administration after the next election.

Prayut said the Constitution Drafting Commission will complete the drafting of 10 organic laws within eight months and submit them to the National Legislative Assembly. The NLA deliberations would take two months with another month to incorporate any amendments. 

He assured that the general election will be held after the first four organic laws related to election of members of parliament, acquisition of Senate members, the Election Commission, and political parties are enacted.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311577

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-07

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

The government has no desire for power or wealth, he reiterated, adding that at the same time it cannot turn a blind eye to various national issues. 

Why the wealth bit?

Is that an admission that being in power makes one wealthy?

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

The government has no desire for power or wealth,

All coup leaders say the same thing after seizing power and wealth. Cross my heart that I am not doing this for myself but for the people. LOL. If he has no desire for power or wealth, why you so scared of being criticized and protective of your wealth. 

I wonder if it is beginning to sink in that they have no intention of calling elections for as long as they will get away with it. Next, it will all go quiet and a few months down the line, one of them will speculate on maybe mid 2020 and still a few fools will buy it.

Whats the point if he sets a date?He promised 2015,then 2016,then 2017,then 2018 next probably 2019 or.......

Also what is the point if there are any elections????They gave them self 6 seats in new Senate[MYANMAR DEMOCRACY],They changed new constitution so they can whenever they like intervene without coup[smart].I wish he would use his 44 put all pheua thai and redshirts in prison,steal all money from shinawatras,kick them out,fill his pockets and pockets of friends and family,and then step down happy with a thaismile in has face.It woud safe us all from more bullshit,drama and other bla bla,maybe on top  put southern mafia guy uncle Suthep as new unelected PM of  THailand for lifetime,then nobody needs to wait for elections anymore. also give immunity to all hisos and army personal ,then there is no complaining anymore if hisos or army kill innocent people,and if that's all not working out well then blame Khun Thaksin

P.S to all juntA boys and Khun Thaksin haters,I hope you guys have a good day

Edited by mrmicbkktxl

2 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

More Wealth for him you have to understand here opposite what they say so you figure it out TIT

yes I understand,but it would be so easy for him.Go to a bank ask for 100000000000000000000THB ,if they ask why he can use his 44,'finito',instead he is bothering the whole country with his bla bla.In all that 3 years the ony good thing he came up with when he ordered everybody needs to wear a seat belt while driving and no more sitting in the back of a pick up,but that he changed back the next day

27 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Whats the point if he sets a date?He promised 2015,then 2016,then 2017,then 2018 next probably 2019 or.......

Also what is the point if there are any elections????They gave them self 6 seats in new Senate[MYANMAR DEMOCRACY],They changed new constitution so they can whenever they like intervene without coup[smart].I wish he would use his 44 put all pheua thai and redshirts in prison,steal all money from shinawatras,kick them out,fill his pockets and pockets of friends and family,and then step down happy with a thaismile in has face.It woud safe us all from more bullshit,drama and other bla bla,maybe on top  put southern mafia guy uncle Suthep as new unelected PM of  THailand for lifetime,then nobody needs to wait for elections anymore. also give immunity to all hisos and army personal ,then there is no complaining anymore if hisos or army kill innocent people,and if that's all not working out well then blame Khun Thaksin

A good read could be Mission Possible. Nothing is Impossible here. 

The 3 year anniversary of the coup is fast approaching, it really does seem that the majority of Thais just don't give a damn as to whether there is democracy or not.

If you can live for 3 years under the current government without being roused into action, then why not 30 years?

I wonder what year the neighbouring nations (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) will overtake Thailand economically...2025????

No elections, no-one cares, what a sorry state of affairs to be in.

You just need to indicate that at some time there will be elections, thus keeping the international community on side and avoiding any 'sanctions' etc.   The reality is elections are not going to take place in the foreseeable future., certainly not before 2020.

When General Suchinda tried the same lines about being disinterested in wealth or power back in 1991 (to loud guffaws), the middle-class rose up and kicked him out, albeit after a bloody conflict on the streets of Bangkok. This time around, the middle-class are utterly supine about a brutal military regime holding on to power and privilege, making one wonder whether they are just biding their time until the economic situation slips below a certain threshold before protesting en masse, or whether they really are prepared to forego any pretense of democracy ad infinitum, in the interests of weak notions of "national unity" and fear of a Thaksin bogeyman return?

Although context is rather different to the early 90s, sensible explanations please about how long the middle class patience will last before something snaps and street protests erupt? :unsure:

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Well ironically enough, the criminal former PM Thaksin was ousted whilst delaying an election. Although at the time he was illegally occupying the caretaker PM role having previously dissolved parliament, resigned the caretaker PM role, and then taking the role back without authority.

No one does anything in politics unless they want to; or are forced to.

24 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

The 3 year anniversary of the coup is fast approaching, it really does seem that the majority of Thais just don't give a damn as to whether there is democracy or not.

If you can live for 3 years under the current government without being roused into action, then why not 30 years?

I wonder what year the neighbouring nations (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) will overtake Thailand economically...2025????

Thai people are so accustomed to military coups and misrule that they are in the habit of keeping their heads down and waiting for the next government.  They only get excited when the corruption, repression and incompetence get really out of hand.  So far the junta hasn't crossed that line, but they will eventually get comfortable and careless.

Thai people are so accustomed to military coups and misrule that they are in the habit of keeping their heads down and waiting for the next government.  They only get excited when the corruption, repression and incompetence get really out of hand.  So far the junta hasn't crossed that line, but they will eventually get comfortable and careless.

What's more, I very much suspect that the Junta had absolutely no intention of holding elections from the day they took power. The Thai people take that as a given.

As for the Bangkok middle classes, they asked for the Junta, and they know what will happen if they rise against them.

For those who say no Thais care about the Junta hanging on to power I say there are millions who care but realise after almost countless coup that there is nothing they can do about it without great personal loss and bloodshed.

Ask yourself "what would I do?"

3 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

For those who say no Thais care about the Junta hanging on to power I say there are millions who care but realise after almost countless coup that there is nothing they can do about it without great personal loss and bloodshed.

Ask yourself "what would I do?"

wait

3 hours ago, JAG said:

What's more, I very much suspect that the Junta had absolutely no intention of holding elections from the day they took power. The Thai people take that as a given.

As for the Bangkok middle classes, they asked for the Junta, and they know what will happen if they rise against them.

Under military rule and civilian governments tolerated by the military, Bangkok is the center of power and wealth in Thailand.  That's why the Bangkok middle classes protest against the rare elected government, democracy shifts wealth and power from Bangkok. Things will have to get very bad before the people of Bangkok rise against the military.  Except for the university students.  I fear what will happen when they rise up.