Video: Pick-up refuses to stop after motorcyclist ends up in the ditch

webfact

3 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Out of curiosity, what are the penalties for a hit & run in Thailand? Is there some jail time for that?

No penalties.

Just carry on and live a happy life  (if you are the son of a rich family).

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MC rider: "This is no problem, I'll just go around him".

Pickup driver: "I wonder why that motorcyclist just ran off the road?".

Much as I dislike the term, this is a case of "When Thainess meets Thainess".

Edited by Enoon

20 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

5 minutes at the local temple. 10 minutes if you kill.

Nah ,   its 12 minutes if you kill, 

The extra two minutes is for choosing what lottery ticket  to buy,    

because you been a good guy going to Temple.

so will be extra lucky this week for the lottery :stoner:

Edited by onemorechang

just another normal day here so whats the problem?

We cannot do anything about this style of driving until the powers that be get the bib to get off their backsides and do something called work, a word that does not translate here

7 minutes ago, BEngBKK said:

My biggest problem with Thais on Motorcycles and in cars is that you newer know, if they are driving 40 km/h, 80 km/h or 150 km/h.....:shock1:

Especially at night, if they drive with broken lights...

:jap:

Jeez, if you can't accurately judge the speed of a moving vehicle, you shouldn't be on the roads.

17 hours ago, robblok said:

The pickup had probably also a stop sign like the one you see in this pic on his side making the road the MC is on the main road. That means the pickup is 100% guilty. 

He may well be 100% guilty but the motorcycle driver should have anticipated the worst. He didn't even appear to slow down at all, despite approaching a junction with a pick up attempting to cross it.

I see this lack of evasive action all the time on Thai roads, especially by motorcyclists.

Holy Sh_t!

Same thing happened to me in Canada many years ago, except I was in a car. This sent shivers down me spine... I went through the windshield with my head because some jake arse didn't value the life of others.

I can only pray that I never do that to someone else, because in the end it was just another stupid accident that could have been prevented.

Hope the rider is OK.

15 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Stop sign for truck. And otherwise it's give way to your left!

ps. It appears that the mc driver was in the truck driver's blind spot behind the window pillar. 

I cannot see a stop sign for the truck

To be fair one has to realize both are negligent, and equally at fault. The biker could see the truck was crossing the intersection and probably not going to slow or stop to give way. The biker, had he been driving defensively, would have seen this when he got to the lamp post, and adjusted his speed, but both chose to exercise ''right of way''.  Both are guilty of being selfish and exercising ''me first'' attitude. It matters not who has right of way. Too many with this attitude may be right, but wind up dead right.

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Technically the bike had right of way etc but what I dont understand is why the rider appears to make no attempt to brake whatsoever?

He would have seen that pick-up aways off, was he not paying attention or just no brakes ? Looked like he didnt even slow down.

No excuse for the driver of the pick-up though.

If you slow down that's the sign for the pickup to not stop..I always look the other way so they know i'm not going to stop...or i also flash my headlight.

This driver is very guilty, he probably thinks he is much better than a motocydriver since he can afford himself a car. Maybe his brother is also policeman so who can stop him??

15 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Out of curiosity, what are the penalties for a hit & run in Thailand? Is there some jail time for that?

Just tell the court that u have a cold or have business in singapore and you should be fine.

16 hours ago, Artisi said:

Did the bike rider forget give way to the right? 

What a stupid question or are you blind?  The motorcycle is on the main road and the truck is coming from a secondary road so he has the right of way, but in Thailand it me first, they don't care about anybody else.  Which country are you from anyway, Libya or Zimbabwe?  Or maybe you don't have a driver license so you don't know the rules of the road and if you do you should go back to your cage and read the driver's manual a couple more times, this way you might find out what's all about.  Have a great day. 

19 hours ago, tagalong said:

Thai way.........Not me / mine ! ...I do not care.......I notice Thais do not stop to help in accidents....Fantastic, Thais prefer to protect dogs before their own people........:shock1:....

Pure thainess, never changes. And don't try to stop a Thai if he decide to run away from an accident, then you have a big problem.

14 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

What a stupid question or are you blind?  The motorcycle is on the main road and the truck is coming from a secondary road so he has the right of way, but in Thailand it me first, they don't care about anybody else.  Which country are you from anyway, Libya or Zimbabwe?  Or maybe you don't have a driver license so you don't know the rules of the road and if you do you should go back to your cage and read the driver's manual a couple more times, this way you might find out what's all about.  Have a great day. 

Anyway the motorcyclist could be hurt seriously, what kind person would run away from that? 

Riding a scooter, I see (and experience) this sort of thing frequently.

The  understandable assumption by the scooter driver is that as the car is crossing his right of way, the car driver will slow down or stop and continue once the way is clear - and as the car was travelling slowly, it seems likely that this is what the scooter driver thought would happen in this case.

Unfortunately there are a few car drivers that rely on oncoming traffic to stop instead....

19 hours ago, robblok said:

The pickup had probably also a stop sign like the one you see in this pic on his side making the road the MC is on the main road. That means the pickup is 100% guilty. 

That's very true, but watching the video, I thought the Motorbike rider had time to slow down a bit, he did not seem to have much common sense.

I always slow down when I see any vehicle on any side wanting to come out on to the main road.

19 hours ago, tagalong said:

Thai way.........Not me / mine ! ...I do not care.......I notice Thais do not stop to help in accidents....Fantastic, Thais prefer to protect dogs before their own people........:shock1:....

but they are not even that great with dogs either to be honest.