songkran has started !

dave2

6 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

Certainly the water-throwing has changed in terms of the 'weapons' used but it is the Thais that changed it. I expect the guys with irrigation pumps in the river with 4-inch pipes spraying everyone will be setting up on the Chiang Mai - Lamphun rd as they have for the last 4 years or so. What started as 1 is now 3 , or at least that was the case last year. The guys there start drinking at about 10am so by 5pm they are very drunk and guys will be walking into the middle of the road to stop bikes to drench the drivers. They'll be spraying onto car windshields which will blind drivers momentarily. Not a farang in sight. The images posted here are extremely tame compared to stuff like that, and yet ..... no-one will be threatening to have anyone beaten up!

More importantly, water-throwing is just a very small part of Songkran for most Thais . People will be paying respects to their elders by washing their feet and asking forgiveness for their sins, all kinds of events and ceremonies will be going on at the temples, which will be packed, and of course there will be a big parade of Buddhas through town. Sadly, most tourists will seee nothing of the real Songkran activities and will completely miss the point as to what Songkran is and how important it is to the Thai people. Water-throwing is fun for most, but it's only a small part of a very important festival. To most tourists that's all it is.

It's good to see that some people that don't like it have chosen to either leave for a few days or, like myself, stay at home (although I may have one afternoon with the grand-kids near the moat). I have no complaints with those that don't like it and do something about it, it's the people that not only don't like it but get very angry about it, to the point of threatening violence, that amaze me. Has it never occured to you that when everyone else is enjoying themselves and you're not, that maybe you are the one with the problem? I don't particularly like Songkran but when everyone else around me is so looking forward to it and having such a good time, why should I be the miserable old git, moaning and complaining about it? It's their New Year, after all.

If you are planning on living in Thailand you should start realising that if you find yourself getting angry about something and no-one else is, it's you that has the problem and has to accept things or adjust. I used to complain about the noise in shopping centres at the weekend, especially during festivals. Announcements, jingles/promotions over the speakers on a 1 minute cycle, people with megaphones, guards blasting whistles. I would complain to the manager, and then one day I twigged - no-one else was bothered, just me. The solution was simple, I stopped going to those places at the weekend and went mid-week instead. I realised, that I'm the one that's different so either I accept things or find away around them. Most of these problems are the result of Culture Shock. If you don't know what that is, look it up, accept the fact that at times it will apply to you and figure out what you're going to do about it. The alternative is to be  unhappy, angry, irrational and even prone to aggressive tendencies. There are a few posters here displaying the classic signs......

Here endeth tonight's sermon.

You've intentionally diverted from the OP  that shows westerners spraying water last Friday.

My understanding is that Songkran, or should I say the water festival, starts tomorrow, although it will probably start this afternoon in the City. I don't think anyone has complained about the festival, they may like it or not, that's an individual choice, it's certainly not my favorite festival. I will be going into the city on Wednesday and Thursday with my daughter for her to enjoy as she has numerous times before.

My question is - is it right for westerners to be spraying water over people 5 days before people expect to get wet? You stated that it's only water, so 5 days or 50 days earlier is acceptable?

See reply #125 and let me know your thoughts.

Edited by PGThompson1

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

Certainly the water-throwing has changed in terms of the 'weapons' used but it is the Thais that changed it. I expect the guys with irrigation pumps in the river with 4-inch pipes spraying everyone will be setting up on the Chiang Mai - Lamphun rd as they have for the last 4 years or so. What started as 1 is now 3 , or at least that was the case last year. The guys there start drinking at about 10am so by 5pm they are very drunk and guys will be walking into the middle of the road to stop bikes to drench the drivers. They'll be spraying onto car windshields which will blind drivers momentarily. Not a farang in sight. The images posted here are extremely tame compared to stuff like that, and yet ..... no-one will be threatening to have anyone beaten up!

More importantly, water-throwing is just a very small part of Songkran for most Thais . People will be paying respects to their elders by washing their feet and asking forgiveness for their sins, all kinds of events and ceremonies will be going on at the temples, which will be packed, and of course there will be a big parade of Buddhas through town. Sadly, most tourists will seee nothing of the real Songkran activities and will completely miss the point as to what Songkran is and how important it is to the Thai people. Water-throwing is fun for most, but it's only a small part of a very important festival. To most tourists that's all it is.

It's good to see that some people that don't like it have chosen to either leave for a few days or, like myself, stay at home (although I may have one afternoon with the grand-kids near the moat). I have no complaints with those that don't like it and do something about it, it's the people that not only don't like it but get very angry about it, to the point of threatening violence, that amaze me. Has it never occured to you that when everyone else is enjoying themselves and you're not, that maybe you are the one with the problem? I don't particularly like Songkran but when everyone else around me is so looking forward to it and having such a good time, why should I be the miserable old git, moaning and complaining about it? It's their New Year, after all.

If you are planning on living in Thailand you should start realising that if you find yourself getting angry about something and no-one else is, it's you that has the problem and has to accept things or adjust. I used to complain about the noise in shopping centres at the weekend, especially during festivals. Announcements, jingles/promotions over the speakers on a 1 minute cycle, people with megaphones, guards blasting whistles. I would complain to the manager, and then one day I twigged - no-one else was bothered, just me. The solution was simple, I stopped going to those places at the weekend and went mid-week instead. I realised, that I'm the one that's different so either I accept things or find away around them. Most of these problems are the result of Culture Shock. If you don't know what that is, look it up, accept the fact that at times it will apply to you and figure out what you're going to do about it. The alternative is to be  unhappy, angry, irrational and even prone to aggressive tendencies. There are a few posters here displaying the classic signs......

Here endeth tonight's sermon.

I'm not angry at all.  I was simply making an observation about how many people who are not Thai seem to think the holiday begins and ends with a giant water fight.  The holiday is much deeper than that, I believe. 

3 minutes ago, PGThompson1 said:

You've intentionally diverted from the OP,  that shows westerners spraying water last Friday.

My understanding is that Songkran, or should I say the water festival, starts tomorrow, although it will probably start this afternoon, in the City. I don't think anyone has complained about the festival, they may like it or not, that's an individual choice, it's certainly not my favorite festival. I will be going into the city on Wednesday and Thursday with my daughter for her to enjoy as she has numerous times before.

My question is - is it right for westerners to be spraying water over people 5 days before people expect to get wet? You stated that it's only water, so 5 days or 50 days earlier is acceptable?

You make a good point. What goes on during the actual festival is a lot different from some idiots harrassing people a week before it starts. I try to be patient with water throwing during the actual holiday, but adults doing it late at night, early in the morning or before it officially starts should be arrested IMO.

3 hours ago, PGThompson1 said:

You've intentionally diverted from the OP  that shows westerners spraying water last Friday.

My understanding is that Songkran, or should I say the water festival, starts tomorrow, although it will probably start this afternoon in the City. I don't think anyone has complained about the festival, they may like it or not, that's an individual choice, it's certainly not my favorite festival. I will be going into the city on Wednesday and Thursday with my daughter for her to enjoy as she has numerous times before.

I haven't intentionally diverted from the OP, I intentionally replied to another poster. Since his post was quoted in my reply I'm surprised you didn't see it.

In reply to your question as to whether it is right to spray water 5 days before , the answer is no, but it isn't deserving of them being arrested or beaten up, as many posters here suggested. In my books it is deserving of them being nicely told that they have jumped the gun and hoping that they listen, but expecting them to continue in their harmless and ill-informed ways.  

The reason for my sermon above was to highlight that this is the season to be jolly for Thai people, and I would imagine that, judging by the extreme views expressed here, especially bearing in mind what appears to be happening in the photos (no buckets, no drenching, no throwing at people on motorbikes) a fair few of the posters here will be right miserys throughout it all. 

As regards to 'westerners' spraying before the festival starts, my question is why discriminate? Most pre-Songkran spraying by far will be done by Thais, mostly young kids, and most Thai people will grin and bear it, or more likely laugh along. Supposedly, a lot of the people here, on seeing that will either hit them or call the police! The whole point of my post above is to highlight that

1) If it has changed, the change has not been instigated by westerners

2) Water-throwing is just one aspect of Songkran and people should seek out the other activities

3) If people are going to be as extreme in their views as they are here, so over-the-top and miserable, and Songkran hasn't even started, then maybe they should question if that is the right way to behave during the Tha people's happiest time of year, and more importantly, they should be asking themselves why they are so unhappy and miserable when everyone around them is having a great time.

As regards to spraying 5 or 50 days before - it would be a bit odd if someone were spraying people months before, (extremely unlikey too) but since I will nearly always spray my grandson if he walks by when I'm watering the garden, I may not be the best person to answer that one. In case you were wondering, he's still alive.

Post 125 is no different to the ones I mentioned above, I assume you think the owner will call the police or have them beaten up? 

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

When did you book your air-ticket? How much is it roughly?

I'm too late to book a ticket out of Thailand for songkran. I hate getting wet.

Booked mid January for about 4,750 baht return.

David

4 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

but since I will nearly always spray my grandson if he walks by when I'm watering the garden

Slightly off topic but you are quite right about a toddler relative and a garden hose. On a warm day they just go together like strawberries and cream anywhere in the world.  You just have to give them a little spray!

30 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Why not restrict Songkran water throwing celebration to just Thai people

How could you possibly enforce that.  April the first was last week.

Police to everyone.  "Oh you have bucket of water!  Can I see your passport/Id card".

:partytime2:

29 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

ast year was a big stage in tapai gate.not there this year.so maybe it will be a quieter affair this year

hes right !

no water tanks no water machines like previous years

nothing there this morning !

dave2 

thaphae gate empty for songkran 11 apr 17 20170411_094918~01.jpg

songkran set up thaphae gate  9 apr 14 2014-04-09 10.48.19.jpg

19 minutes ago, balo said:

When does the water splashing stop , when the sun goes down ? My plan is to bike around and do the shopping after 6 PM .  

Thats when its supposed to stop, but you usually get some people carrying on until 9 PM plus , usually drunk pack packers

3 hours ago, balo said:

When does the water splashing stop , when the sun goes down ? My plan is to bike around and do the shopping after 6 PM . 

In some places it won't stop until everyone passes out drunk.  Last year, after spending a few pleasant hours drying off at a friends bar, I got soaked outside Maya around midnight while taking a tuk-tuk home. 

14 hours ago, balo said:

The owner of my mansion says official hours are from 10 am to 7 pm.

He is a local Thai in Chiang Mai.

You can call tourist police if somebody continues after 7 pm

Edited by EricTh

16 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Why not restrict Songkran water throwing celebration to just Thai people.

Has nothing to do with foreigners culture.

Because most(if not all) foreigners don't realise that it's actually a Buddhist festival where you are supposed to do merits in a Buddhist temple.

Spraying water is supposed to be restricted to a few drops (like what monks do with a leaf if you ask for blessing) or bathe the Buddha statues.

Read the article I posted earlier.

Edited by EricTh

4 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Why would anybody in their right mind do that?

Call the Tourist Police! Bless him, he's probably new here. Besides the fact that they'd be laughing their pants off, he doesn't realise that over here you could cover the wife with paraffin and ask a policeman for a light. 

but adults doing it late at night, early in the morning or before it officially starts should be arrested IMO.

I agree. 

I was in Samui one Songkran and after dark, I thought I would put on a nice shirt and trousers and have a nice meal in town. First thing I hit the beach road on my little bike, a drunken, crazed woman comes rushing out with her bucket and pausing, sees I am clearly dry and dressed nicely, and douses me anyway. 

I was tempted to cut both her Achilles' tendons right on the spot. 

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

He's right. Read the article I posted earlier about origin of Songkran. Repeated below.

http://www.chiangmai-thai.com/songkran.htm

LOL. It hasn't been just a sprinkle since at least the early 1990s. Guess who are the people throwing the water out in the sticks where no tourists stay- that's right, it's THAIS, not farangs. Honestly, to read some posters, it was all started by tourists a couple of years ago. Couldn't be more wrong.

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

I agree. 

I was in Samui one Songkran and after dark, I thought I would put on a nice shirt and trousers and have a nice meal in town. First thing I hit the beach road on my little bike, a drunken, crazed woman comes rushing out with her bucket and pausing, sees I am clearly dry and dressed nicely, and douses me anyway. 

At least on Samui it's one-and-done with everything happening on the 13th (perhaps some on the night of the 12th).

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I agree. 

Was she a Thai woman? How uncivilised!

The Thai have started spraying water.

I rode my bike just now and somebody sprayed some water over me today.

Luckily, it's not a bucket of water and I was riding my bike and not walking.

Some local Thai guy told me it's supposed to start tomorrow for 3 days?