songkran has started !

dave2

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, heybruce said:

There were no stages or live music around ThaPae yesterday afternoon.  If made the area quieter than in years past.  Was that because of the parade, or will it stay that way for the duration of Songkran?

When is the parade or has it finished?

Is the Thapae area this year populated by big beefy Falang women trying to dislodge peoples eyeballs with giant squirt guns ?

5 minutes ago, Mickeem said:

Is the Thapae area this year populated by big beefy Falang women trying to dislodge peoples eyeballs with giant squirt guns ?

There was a parade yesterday afternoon that went through ThaPae Gate and ended at Wat Pra Singh.  It had a lot of Buddha statues on floats that Thai people were gently pouring water on.  Chaiyapoom road near ThaPae was closed to accommodate it.  I don't know what is planned there for today and tomorrow. 

There weren't nearly as many people at ThaPae as there were in past years when there were stages and entertainment.  However there were still plenty of people around the moat soaking everyone in sight.  There were also young backpackers in the Zoe area (and probably other areas) soaking annoyed passerby's well after sunset.

2 hours ago, Mickeem said:

The  parade of Buddhas was yesterday, tomorrow is the parade to the Governors house near Nawarat bridge. details here. 

songkran activities.jpg

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

he Zoe area (and probably other areas) soaking annoyed passerby's well after sunset.

Do tell. I went out at 7:30 pm last night and there were still people splashing passerbys.

Don't they ever get tired? 

There are also deaths and injured reported.

I dare not go out tonight. Hope tomorrow it will stop.

Edited by EricTh

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/postbag/1232232/whats-in-a-name-

Sheer lawlessness

Re: "Curbs fail to dampen Songkran fun", Online, April 13.

Although the government asked people to show restraint during Songkran, the hooligans here in Chiang Mai (and I'm sure this is true in the rest of the country) are telling the government to go to hell. At night time when water throwing is supposed to end I can see these hooligans gather around the Tha Phae Gate area throwing water at people as they drive by, creating the danger of a tragic accident occurring. I don't know why they even bother to have laws in Thailand since people do whatever they please anyway.

Eric Bahrt

While last year's highlight was the arrest of a shirtless, deadlocked trashpacker, you should have seen the brawl last night on Sukhumvit 7/1 at 23:30.  A smaller Arab sprayed a much larger Arab and the guy went berserk.  I can see why selling weapons to Muslims is a very profitable endeavor....they hate each other more than anyone.  Anyhow, the big guy attacked the smaller guy...had him backed up against a pink taxi in the main road.  Then the crowd turned on him.  Somebody broke a plastic stool over his head.  I moved to Sathorn this morning, before the idiots started up.  Complete nonsense.  Most did stop at 8, but not all.  And people complain about Christmas?  Sheesh....Median wages are less than two bucks an hour here...seems like reeducation would be more appropriate than 10 day celebrations.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

Just now, KhonKaenKowboy said:

While last year's highlight was the arrest of a shirtless, deadlocked trashpacker, you should have seen the brawl last night on Sukhumvit 7/1 at 23:30.  A smaller Arab sprayed a much larger Arab and the guy went berserk.  I can see why selling weapons to Muslims is a very profitable endeavor....they hate each other more than anyone.  Anyhow, the big guy attacked the smaller guy...had him backed up against a pink taxi in the main road.  Then the crowd turned on him.  Somebody broke a plastic stool over his head.  I moved to Sathorn this morning, before the idiots started up.  Complete nonsense.  Most did stop at 8, but not all.  And people complain about Christmas?  Sheesh....Median wages are less than two bucks an hour here...seems like reeducation would be more appropriate than 10 day celebrations.

These Arabs are also quite ignorant. They should have known that this is originally a Buddhist festival. Why are Muslims celebrating a Buddhist festival when they are anti-Buddhist in the first place? Look at how they destroyed Buddha statues in Afghanistan etc and the recent bombing of Buddhist temple in Bangkok.

Edited by EricTh

9 hours ago, balo said:

A lot of music outside my condo and many teenagers in pick-ups so I guess we are getting close to the orgasm now. Wake me up when it's over. 

It's over. :o(

361 days wait for the next one..  Unless.... you're on a plane to anywhere in Chonburi province, where the main days are 18/19.

(I'm on my way soon. ;) )

Maya mall has produced over 45 hours of earsplitting, window rattling noise pollution ("music"?) as their Songkran gift to the neighbors... they start at 11 am and finish at about 1:30am...   this has been a songkran from hell for me, ...... now Sunday, I thought they were finished but now starting again.  My wife was in tears last night as she needed to sleep.    Sad that what could be a nice festival turns into such an ugly situation, the sound equipment was enough for a huge stadium, just for the little front area of the mall.  How did a simple fun holiday evolve into such rubbish... yea yea T.I.T.

1 hour ago, daoyai said:

Maya mall has produced over 45 hours of earsplitting, window rattling noise pollution ("music"?) as their Songkran gift to the neighbors... they start at 11 am and finish at about 1:30am...   this has been a songkran from hell for me, ...... now Sunday, I thought they were finished but now starting again.  My wife was in tears last night as she needed to sleep.    Sad that what could be a nice festival turns into such an ugly situation, the sound equipment was enough for a huge stadium, just for the little front area of the mall.  How did a simple fun holiday evolve into such rubbish... yea yea T.I.T.

I sympathize with you. I had a fair share of noise from inconsiderate bars opposite Kad Suan Kaew in the past when I was trying to sleep.

The official holiday should have stopped yesterday. 

I remember there is a small police booth opposite Maya besides main road, maybe you can lodge a complain there?

Edited by EricTh

9 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

It's over. :o(

361 days wait for the next one..  Unless.... you're on a plane to anywhere in Chonburi province, where the main days are 18/19.

Officially it is over but the little girl of my condo's cleaning lady decided to try out her water gun on the residents today.:saai:

Edited by EricTh

On 4/10/2017 at 3:22 AM, Throatwobbler said:

Personally I hope the people wishing physical harm on fellow humans are the ones who receive it. A few backpackers started a bit early and they were wrong but the people who wish that they got a beating are the scarier people.

If they tried it at any other time of the year outside Songkran they would possibly get (and deserve) a kicking. Tough crowd, five of them tooled up and picking on people who are alone or as a couple. If you feel that what I say is worse than what they have done, then so be it.

Had a great Songkran this year. Flew down to Penang on the 13th. They actually do Songkran there ... one day ... at the Thai Buddhist temple on the northwest side of Georgetown. I arrived after it was finished. LOL

Stayed in Georgetown until the 18th eating some great food and sightseeing all while being nice and dry (except for the sweat - hot and humid there). 

Back again next year.

David

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:04 PM, Chiengmaijoe said:

Tomorrow a wave of the hand will not be enough. I have a special glare that I reserve for this time of year for the kids I encounter when I am going about my business and not prepared for getting wet -  the kids with the glint in their eye that says 'Oh look, a Farang'.  It is a don't-even-think-about-it glare that never fails. I'm just about to try it out in the mirror, in case I need to pop out unexpectedly tomorrow.

I had a very good Songkran here in CM.

I did join in, for a short period, with the locals around my area on the 13th and went about my normal life, as near as possible, after that.

Despite what many had predicted my wave of the hand to indicate I did not want to play, on other occasions worked a treat when that was my wish.

I did have to change my routine(s) slightly as in avoiding the obvious busy well known throwing areas etc; and putting wallet, phone et al. in water proof bags, just in case, but basically my life went on as normal.

In some ways I even enjoyed the week better than normal as the other half went off with her local family to visit other family members out of town. Because of the new pick up passenger rules I elected to stay at home as there was no ‘legal’ room in the pick for me as well as them. (That was my story to ‘she who must be obeyed’ and I am sticking to it!).

All in all I enjoyed the week.