Thousands of passengers stranded at Suvarnabhumi Airport after their tour agent fails to show up

webfact

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

But before the situation turned more chaotic, Minister of Tourism Kobkarn Wattanawarangkul was alerted and stepped  in by holding a meeting with authorities concerned at the airport.

Coffee and doughnuts were served? :coffee1:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, chuang said:

Three days' Japan tour for 15K to 20K is too good to be true...

Right now there is a Bangkok tour company offering 3 day Japan tours starting at 12,100 baht, most expensive one is 21,600 baht, so maybe not too good to be true.

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I have no doubt the minister can work a positive spin on this, re route them to Nakhon Nowhere and claim soaring domestic tourist spending.

If the TAT lady plays this right there could be a lot of goodwill involved. Sorry forget it it costs money. 

wealth ever - MLM pyramid scheme company. Scam their own employees and customers by selling a trip to japan.

Digusting. The head scammer is a Tom. Hope the authorities catch her soon.

the scam is to buy a trip to Japan and 2 bottles of health supplements from the company Wealth ever to be an employee or direct sales of the company.

Edited by Moonmoon

2 hours ago, nahkit said:

Right now there is a Bangkok tour company offering 3 day Japan tours starting at 12,100 baht, most expensive one is 21,600 baht, so maybe not too good to be true.

But is it legit?

Any website to look at for curiosity?

21 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

wealth ever - MLM pyramid scheme company. Scam their own employees and customers by selling a trip to japan.

Digusting. The head scammer is a Tom. Hope the authorities catch her soon.

the scam is to buy a trip to Japan and 2 bottles of health supplements from the company Wealth ever to be an employee or direct sales of the company.

Are you saying the trip to Japan was a bonus for signing up to be a salesperson of health supplements? If so, Tom has an out, a get out of jail out. 

18 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Are you saying the trip to Japan was a bonus for signing up to be a salesperson of health supplements? If so, Tom has an out, a get out of jail out. 

no the trip is not a bonus.

The undervalued Japan trip was sold together with the health supplements as a package for getting into the company. To join MLM, Direct Sales and pyramid scheme companies, you would usually have to buy their products as an investment to sell to other customers 

and of cos many of the victims on wanted to exploit the cheap Japan trip instead of joining the company for real parted with their money and fell for the scam 

Edited by Moonmoon

8 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

No, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation. Thai people would never do this kind of thing..............Would they?

I feel sorry for the tourists who've had their trip ruined.

No You Dont

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I don´t understand. :blink:

Please elaborate.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

The ol' bait and switch caper, promise a lot, deliver nothing, typical Thai, stinging

their very own people for a change.....

Yeah, because ppl getting scammed has never ever happened in any other country. :saai:

6 hours ago, lvr181 said:

".....the police and Ministry of Tourism have done nothing at all about it."    No money in it for them?

Okay, a cheap shot but why was no action taken? I would think that Minister Kobkarn would be all over this scam like a rash. A visit to airport doesn't really cut it.

I am sorry but I have to agree with you. There are so many pyramid like scams happening now and unfortunately, too many Thais (and falang) get caught up in it. If it seems too good to be true, it is not! The sister of my wife recently got scammed 600,000 baht from the old sell perfume and soap on line scam. After we told her to the point of almost losing our voices not to do it. She got the shock of her life when we refused to help her out. But the scams are evident to the authorities (the cheap Japan trip scam was reported by Cathay on March 30) and no action by anti corruption authorities or police eventuated. I love Thailand and have often defended the almost undefendable in this forum in order not to discredit the millions of Thais who are simple, tolerant and law abiding. (and love a good joke, love a smile and love gossip) but scams are now not a joke. Sorry for the rant. Enuf sed. 

Would be an awful feeling. Whether people think it's dumb or not spare a thought for those that were caught out.
Scams catch people worldwide. Just think some of these people may not have total knowledge of the costs involved.
Now they're stuck far from home on probably the hardest time of the year to find accommodation or bus/train tickets.

39 minutes ago, MadMuhummad said:

Would be an awful feeling. Whether people think it's dumb or not spare a thought for those that were caught out.
Scams catch people worldwide. Just think some of these people may not have total knowledge of the costs involved.
Now they're stuck far from home on probably the hardest time of the year to find accommodation or bus/train tickets.

Hard to know whether to feel loathing at scammers of vulnerable people or feel sorry for the minions that were caught out in an obvious scam that was reported to Thai authorities by Cathay on March 30. But I do hope they track down the scammers and place the culprits in an all male extreme gay prison.

3 hours ago, Grovst said:

I don´t understand. :blink:

Please elaborate.

As outlined above, you qualify for the inexpensive tour package to Japan if you buy the MLM products. The fact the tour package never existed is sort of a moot point. You were scammed in the sense you overpaid for the products, not in the eyes of most law enforcement agencies for the tour package to Japan. Since there was consideration(the products) you were simply overcharged and paid without duress. Not a crime. OO and God Bless You.

I don't think the fact that the scammer here may be a MLM company gives them any out from facing fraud charges here.

The victims paid their money, 10,000+ baht a piece, either for the trip alone or for a package of other things that was supposed to include the trip.  The company involved obviously didn't delivery the trip that the victims had paid their money to receive. It's criminal fraud no matter how you slice it.

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

promise a lot, deliver nothing, typical Thai, stinging their very own people for a change.....

I might bet this is a (Thai) Chinese company <Wealth Ever> they love poetic and/or cynical names for rip-off companies! Same as the one decades ago which went bust over the airport link to DonMueang: <HopeWell> from HK...and many others

Edited by thurien

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't think the fact that the scammer here may be a MLM company gives them any out from facing fraud charges here.

The victims paid their money, 10,000+ baht a piece, either for the trip alone or for a package of other things that was supposed to include the trip.  The company involved obviously didn't delivery the trip that the victims had paid their money to receive. It's criminal fraud no matter how you slice it.

It's not criminal fraud because there was consideration for the money. Over and done with. Live and learn. You don't see fraud charges when people don't get everything they paid for. There was never an intention to provide the tour package so we can assume the scammer was well versed in how to trick the folks out of their money without facing criminal charges. Happy New Year.

I will explain how the scam works. Tom Shogun advertise her company and products as such.

To become a member of the MLM company Wealth Ever, you have to pay

500 membership fees, Team Admin fees 850, 2 bottles Allysian Healthy Supplements 8350 Total of 9730THB.

After paying 9730THB you would become a member of the company Wealth Ever and as an added bonus, the company will bring you on a tour to Osaka, Japan during the Songkran period.

As proof, the company has already brought a smaller team of members to Japan before already.

The victims on seeing the bonus trip to Japan worth only 9730 during Songkran of cos wanted to take advantage of it and got everyone to sign up, from their own kids to cousins, grandparents, friends so on and so forth.

I do not know how do the legalities work but if its a scam then its a scam and the law should not be worked toward the favour of the scammers. 

Even if there is a loophole in the law, the authorities should not let any off if they exploit it for their personal gains while inflicting harm to others.

And of cos, victims usually fall for scams like this out of their own greed wanting to take advantage but in the end ended up getting con themselves. 

oh well hope they get their money back soon and Tom Shogun gets a long prison time.

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

It's not criminal fraud because there was consideration for the money. Over and done with. Live and learn. You don't see fraud charges when people don't get everything they paid for. There was never an intention to provide the tour package so we can assume the scammer was well versed in how to trick the folks out of their money without facing criminal charges. Happy New Year.

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

It's not criminal fraud because there was consideration for the money. Over and done with.

Not quite... The law doesn't allow a car dealer to take your money paid to buy a Rolls Royce, and then intentionally gives you a Pinto instead. The deal was for a Rolls, you paid for a Rolls, you're legally entitled to a Rolls. Doesn't matter that the lesser Pinto was provided as some consideration.

Same principal with this fraudster. if the promise of a trip was made as part of payment or purchasing of membership or products, and the trip wasn't provided, that's legal fraud. Doesn't matter if some other aspect of the deal was fulfilled notwithstanding the failure to provide the promised trip.

BTW, the BKK Post report on this fraudster's arrest tonight says she's facing a fraud charge, which clearly will end up being CHARGES, and also says that the authorities are planning to have the Anti Money Laundering agency seize whatever assets she has to use to begin to repay the victiims in the case.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK