Man forbidden from getting on underground for drinking says he is using the train rather than drink and drive

webfact

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Anyone who comports himself in a troublesome or senselessness in a public way or public place is liable to sanction anyway... regardless of whether he's been drinking or not.

Magnificent sentence.:burp::wink:

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I didnt write it. I quoted it.  Might be time to lay off the booze.

Please elucidate. Quote from whom? If you quote someone you should say so. 

p.s. western society is based on the philosophies of boozers, snorters etc. :burp::stoner::clap2:

Edited by dinsdale

Just now, dinsdale said:

Please elucidate. Quote from whom? If you quote someone you should say so. 

p.s. western society is based on the philosophies of boozers, snorters etc. :burp::clap2:

You seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick completely.

How can I put this politely, mate?  I can't !  Sawed off!

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

"I didnt write it. I quoted it." 

Just asking who you were quoting. Like to know. Happy New Year no offence meant.

Ok. Sorry to take a dig.

Section 378. Public Intoxication

Any person who puts himself in a state of drunkenness by consumption of alcoholic beverage or other intoxicant substance, and comports himself with troublesomeness or senselessness in a public way or public place, shall be liable to a fine not exceeding five thousand baht.

I was repying to a post, and was making the point that it's not really about drink, it's about behaviour.  I used to be a heavy drinker. I only stopped because it was upsetting my stomach too much.  I'm not against drinking.

12 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Allow me to shed some light on this for you. You quoted a regulation, Section 378 about intoxication, quoted by someone else. (SiSePuede419) Nowhere in the OP, did it say the man was intoxicated, troublesome or senseless, only that he admitted drinking and hence did not want to drive. Hence the section would not apply to this person.

Given the number of drink driving incidents yesterday alone, many would find this behaviour admirable. Hence, quoting someone whose post was incorrect in this instance leads to people asking you what you are on about. Being asked your reference is quite normal. Getting pissy about it is not what this forum is about.

I edit this to note your apology in the post above this.

Edited by darksidedog

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

Allow me to shed some light on this for you. You quoted a regulation, Section 378 about intoxication, quoted by someone else. (SiSePuede419) Nowhere in the OP, did it say the man was intoxicated, troublesome or senseless, only that he admitted drinking and hence did not want to drive. Hence the section would not apply to this person.

Given the number of drink driving incidents yesterday alone, many would find this behaviour admirable. Hence, quoting someone whose post was incorrect in this instance leads to people asking you what you are on about. Being asked your reference is quite normal. Getting pissy about it is not what this forum is about.

I edit this to note your apology in the post above this.

Yes, but if you read the post I pointed out the stupidity of the rule.

I agree he may not have been troublesome at all, but the problem is something in his behaviour must have alerted the security guard to the fact that he had been drinking.  Even so, it was a ludicous decision imo for the very reason you point out. As I said I can only think the guard misinterpreted a rule.

That quote from the regulations gave me a flashback to my school days wherein if you were caught being naughty ( you define that yourself in a 1970's public All Boys school) you were given multiples of what were referred to as "units" which in the senior school (14 and above) was 30 lines of:

" There is nothing more disturbing to a well regulated mind than the sight of a senior boy, who should know better, disporting  himself in an improper manner at an improper moment"

it it did not stop us being "naughty" but it made us more careful not to get caught!

what this has to do with a sensible chap trying to avoid breaking the law as well as demonstrating an unusual understanding of how to avoid road slaughter I leave to the intelligentsia of TVF to unravel............

Last time I was in BKK, we got hammered in a party that went on to early morning the next day, instead of crashing in a totally unknown area with complete strangers (no matter how fun they were)  I decided to use the BTS, and was that much still under the influence that the guards even assisted me to the proper platform, they didn't mind I was a bit wasted at all, quite the opposite - asking if the party was good and if I'm allright to get to my destination :w00t:

An interesting and valid argument he has there... however, I always take a taxi home after a few drinks. I don't want to be the only gobsh*t on the train / platform who can't stand upright. Although I do respect him for not driving, it's usually easier to just get a taxi home. 

As far as I can see there are only two situations that might result in him being denied service:  consuming alcohol at the station, and being drunk and disorderly. 

Being a bit tipsy doesn't count, and in any case you have to be disorderly too.

I just wonder if some more facts have yet to surface.  I wonder if songkran has anything to do with this, as I imagine instructions are out to be extra vigilant because of the unusually high amount of revellers.

Booze and you loose ......when taken too much that is.

The irony of this news is that a guy thinks he's doing the right thing, and in fact does, and then get punished for it without a cause.

Members of the public, where the majority, i guess!, is consuming alcohol in more then normal quantities, are questioning the man's reason.

I wonder how this group of people comes home, if they come home?

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Truly amazing that the one person showing a spark of intelligence and wanting to use public transport, rather than driving drunk gets hassled.

It might be different if he were loud, obnoxious and looking for trouble, but the story says the opposite.

How is this country going to reduce its appalling drink driving situation, when people trying to do the right thing, receive such treatment?

Rather like Tesco security guards not allowing me to take my own empty shopping bag inside but told to use their plastic ones. Pure idiocy.

25 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

Come on everybody. We will never understand Thai logic.
They won't do a u turn as that is a case of losing face.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agreed.  Though this type of logic (an oxymoron if there ever was one) appears universal when it comes to security.

And of course it is often self-fulfilling. So that by the time the episode has ended, the unfortunate victim has indeed become rude, disruptive, or argumentative. No doubt the main instigator wanders back to the office and turns to his colleague and says,  "See, I told you he was trouble.  I was right all along."

Hearing this story, I imagine what would happen if security personnel of the Munich Underground would not let more or less drunk people returning from the Munich Oktoberfest use the underground train to get home. Of course, it is forbidden to keep drinking inside the train and show rowdy behaviour. Normally, there were no problems to let these people use the Underground -- confirmed by my personal experience.

On 4/14/2017 at 4:09 PM, wirat69 said:

My first trip on underground from Heathrow at least 50% of the non-tourists were ranging from tipsy to blind drunk. As soon as one caused a hassle by trying to take someone's suitcase the others got it sorted real quick. Hard to say it was a problem.... but then again maybe the Brits hold their piss better than Thai!!! hahahahaha 

Curiously the Brits have the worst reputation of being drunk and creating hassles in Thailand while being drunk.  From many years of personal experience and from "the word" on the street.  No offense.

What do they mean by he had been "drinking" ?  Is there a limit to the amount of alcohol you can consume before getting on a train and if so what is it? When they decide what the limit is will they be breathalyzing everyone before they get on the train? All sounds a bit daft and an over reaction to me