Really had enough of Win 10.

giddyup

On 4/14/2017 at 4:44 PM, Peterw42 said:

OP, it appears your problems are not so much with windows 10 but the built in mail program. You can download and run windows live mail for use with windows 10. Win 7 didn't have a built in mail program but Windows live mail is the program you most likely used in windows 7.

http://www.intowindows.com/download-windows-live-mail-for-windows-10/

Not enough info to go on in the OP and I'm not gonna bother reading this whole thread w/ so much flailing around in the dark. Just use Thunderbird for your email: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/. Easy to set up, very convenient. Take a look at some of the plugins.

Sorted. :)

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Not enough info to go on in the OP and I'm not gonna bother reading this whole thread w/ so much flailing around in the dark. Just use Thunderbird for your email: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/. Easy to set up, very convenient. Take a look at some of the plugins.

Sorted. :)

I have had a licenced copy of MS Office 2007 ......well since 2007 lol

never needed anything else, I use Excel Word and Outlook (for email) a robust and sturdy package that has served me flawlessly for a very long time through multiple machines

I have Windows 10 on my home desktop. Not because I am a MS fanboy but because I do use some programs that can only be run on Windows. I have Linux Mint on a small netbook and my laptop. I am by no means a Linux expert but I find that Mint works quite well for when I am travelling or simply using email or surfing the Internet.

1 hour ago, transam said:

There is nothing to click on regarding text size, my old W10 did, that is the problem....

Go to your System, then settings and you see what you're looking for,. If you want bigger icons on your desktop, just right click....

5 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Go to your System, then settings and you see what you're looking for,. If you want bigger icons on your desktop, just right click....

Unfortunately, wanting a larger, readable font is not what making desktop icons bigger is all about.

1 hour ago, transam said:

There is nothing to click on regarding text size, my old W10 did, that is the problem....

Please do me a favor and send me an e-mail and please attach a file, a photo, or anything. I've just found out that all four machines have the same issue and it could be a bug that wasn't fixed...

When you try to attach a file, or a photo and it won't do it and tells you to wait a while then good night. 

Edited by ajarngreg

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Unfortunately, wanting a larger, readable font is not what making desktop icons bigger is all about.

There doesn't seem another option. Another problem is that I can't attach files, or photos to e-mails on 4 updated machines. 

I've tried really all, but it shows me that something went wrong and i should wait. How long? A day, a week? 

Edited by ajarngreg

text size can be changed under setting/display, you can also open control panel and do it there, I use a 4k TV and have everything set at 200% otherwise it would be too small to see unless I was sitting right in front of it which I am not, I also use the magnifier now and again and have it on my task bar as a button

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I can do anything with 1703, done it today....BUT.....Making text bigger or bolder in bars or menu's  thingy has gone...Even screen saver and desk top change stuff has gone, nothing...

no it hasn't

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

text size can be changed under setting/display, you can also open control panel and do it there, I use a 4k TV and have everything set at 200% otherwise it would be too small to see unless I was sitting right in front of it which I am not, I also use the magnifier now and again and have it on my task bar as a button

IT DON'T HAVE TEXT SETTINGS.............I've done the % thing, does nothing for text, the thing one clicks on for text stuff ain't there that was on 1607....

Edited by transam

6 minutes ago, transam said:

IT DON'T HAVE TEXT SETTINGS.............I've done the % thing, does nothing for text, the thing one clicks on for text stuff ain't there that was on 1607....

what text are you talking about ???????? do like to have huge title bars with tiny windows and content, the DPI scaling does it all, as for screen savers (control panel which is still there) and wallpapers etc you can select a picture and right click 

7 minutes ago, smedly said:

what text are you talking about ???????? do like to have huge title bars with tiny windows and content, the DPI scaling does it all, as for screen savers (control panel which is still there) and wallpapers etc you can select a picture and right click 

That stuff is MISSING......................Have been reading on the Net about folks woes, there are a zillion with 1703.....

6 minutes ago, transam said:

That stuff is MISSING......................Have been reading on the Net about folks woes, there are a zillion with 1703.....

setting/personalisation/lockscreen                scroll down you will see screen saver

as for the rest (text size) is settings/system/display

I fail to see a need for anything else as it is all covered

Some apps you install might have their own settings

You can also change the resolution

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

setting/personalisation/lockscreen                scroll down you will see screen saver

as for the rest (text size) is settings/system/display

I fail to see a need for anything else as it is all covered

Some apps you install might have their own settings

You can also change the resolution

Done all that, I will say again the text stuff ain't there now on my page....

Another way to System Restore (apart from using the Settings icon) is thru Windows Key+X | Control Panel | Recovery. Choose "Configure System Restore" to create new Restore Point.

Why the hell MS turns off System Restore for Win 10 (and continues to hide File Extensions) I can never fathom out!

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Done all that, I will say again the text stuff ain't there now on my page....

they removed certain stuff because it served no functional purpose or possible use, if you want to change text size get used to a new more effective approach 

13 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Another way to System Restore (apart from using the Settings icon) is thru Windows Key+X | Control Panel | Recovery. Choose "Configure System Restore" to create new Restore Point.

Why the hell MS turns off System Restore for Win 10 (and continues to hide File Extensions) I can never fathom out!

I believe they are trying to steer people towards cloud storage so they can get their hands on your stuff 

7 minutes ago, smedly said:

I believe they are trying to steer people towards cloud storage so they can get their hands on your stuff 

Could be.

Anyone who uses Cloud Storage takes a grave risk - what if you cannot access the "cloud" for various reasons e.g. no internet, Cloud is down? 

Who you going to call - Ghost Busters? :whistling: :smile:

20 minutes ago, smedly said:

they removed certain stuff because it served no functional purpose or possible use, if you want to change text size get used to a new more effective approach 

Like this in settings display ...Or in menu / command bar under view you can also change some txt sizes

2017-04-19_142117.png

Edited by david555

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

Just deleted 1703, gone back to 1607.......ALL MY BIG TEXT IS BACK automatically....BACK TO GREAT....:intheclub:

3 hours ago, smedly said:

never needed anything else, I use Excel Word and Outlook (for email) a robust and sturdy package that has served me flawlessly for a very long time through multiple machines

Try Libre Office it's free and there is a Windoze version, VERY close to the older versions of office, which I prefer to the newer ones.  I would be interested in your opinion...  NOT trying to hyjack the thread but!!

6 hours ago, smedly said:

Plus installation of MS Compatibility Pack (to read four letter file extensions for later versions of Office programs) that maybe sent to you?

I upgraded from a licensed Office 2007 to a licensed full version of Office 2013 (because I was able to purchase at a friendly price as a student). I am among the world's oldest students! :cheesy:

5 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Plus installation of MS Compatibility Pack (to read four letter file extensions for later versions of Office programs) that maybe sent to you?

I upgraded from a licensed Office 2007 to a licensed full version of Office 2013 (because I was able to purchase at a friendly price as a student). I am among the world's oldest students! :cheesy:

Not sure about that if you stop learning you may as well top yourself....

4 hours ago, lvr181 said:

That's quite easy to understand. All older System Restore Points are with the update gone. So if you haven't got a restore point, it's time to switch it on and create one.

Unfortunately, do many posters experience difficulties to do such a System restore and messages show up that it "could be" an AV that's blocking it.

I haven't yet figured out what's preventing a restore, that's really a crappy update if such things aren't covered.

But please, do yourselves a big favor and use Macrium, create a Windows back up, you can even restore it if somethings'w wrong, when you choose drive D ( same drive) for the backup.

But it's always wise to create such a backup on an external drive, once the system runs well. Then you only have to use a memory stick to create a bookable tool to start it with and get it work.

Macrium is free and even my grandmother's grandmother can do that. Easy as getting dressed.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Important is to download it from the original page and not from a third party one that's trying to convince you to pout other stuff on that might create problems after the set up.

The worst is the CA browser, a freaking Chinese browser hijack tool you can hardly get rid off.

I can't upload images, or files on my Hotmail account when sending an e-mail, ( after the upgrade) had a MS fuzzy taking over my PC for an hour, but he didn't find the problem. It seems to be a server issue....

But if all goes wrong, I've got my 1607 on an external drive and would have it back withing 30 minutes.

Backup, backup and backup, the three most important things. 

Could anybody try to send a test e-mail using Hotmail and attach one file ( Office word) and a photo and try if it works, please?

It's on all four machines the same problem, so i don't believe the MS guy's bla bla, server issue.

I could see him doing what i did before and there's nothing he could find. And once you're running a full diagnostic it tells you that all is fine, but it's not. 

I'm afraid we're doing certain experiments for MS now. God shave the King. 

4 hours ago, transam said:

Just deleted 1703, gone back to 1607.......ALL MY BIG TEXT IS BACK automatically....BACK TO GREAT....:intheclub:

Why don't you buy some spectacles? Would look good on you, mate. I found some suitable ones for you. 

P.S. Trans, did you know that you've got another option to make all bigger? Click on the right upper item where you get into all the settings of a webpage and you can zoom it to a size of your choice. 

Trans new glasses.jpg

Edited by ajarngreg

7 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

That's quite easy to understand. All older System Restore Points are with the update gone. So if you haven't got a restore point, it's time to switch it on and create one.

Unfortunately, do many posters experience difficulties to do such a System restore and messages show up that it "could be" an AV that's blocking it.

I haven't yet figured out what's preventing a restore, that's really a crappy update if such things aren't covered.

But please, do yourselves a big favor and use Macrium, create a Windows back up, you can even restore it if somethings'w wrong, when you choose drive D ( same drive) for the backup.

But it's always wise to create such a backup on an external drive, once the system runs well. Then you only have to use a memory stick to create a bookable tool to start it with and get it work.

Macrium is free and even my grandmother's grandmother can do that. Easy as getting dressed.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Important is to download it from the original page and not from a third party one that's trying to convince you to pout other stuff on that might create problems after the set up.

The worst is the CA browser, a freaking Chinese browser hijack tool you can hardly get rid off.

I can't upload images, or files on my Hotmail account when sending an e-mail, ( after the upgrade) had a MS fuzzy taking over my PC for an hour, but he didn't find the problem. It seems to be a server issue....

But if all goes wrong, I've got my 1607 on an external drive and would have it back withing 30 minutes.

Backup, backup and backup, the three most important things. 

Could anybody try to send a test e-mail using Hotmail and attach one file ( Office word) and a photo and try if it works, please?

It's on all four machines the same problem, so i don't believe the MS guy's bla bla, server issue.

I could see him doing what i did before and there's nothing he could find. And once you're running a full diagnostic it tells you that all is fine, but it's not. 

I'm afraid we're doing certain experiments for MS now. God shave the King. 

I use Win 10 1607 version and NEVER have had any problems attaching files using Hotmail or Gmail.

Maybe you have a malware problem? Just guessing. Use Malwarebytes to check (as a starter).

Edited by lvr181
Additional text

8 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I use Win 10 1607 version and NEVER have had any problems attaching files using Hotmail or Gmail.

Maybe you have a malware problem? Just guessing. Use Malwarebytes to check (as a starter).

Please forget about that. I don't have any malware and it's on four machines the same.

Please don't come with the free AVG now.....