14 fewer road accident deaths in first three days of Songkran holiday

rooster59

14 fewer road accident deaths in first three days of Songkran holiday

By THE NATION

f5e74e699f7474acd61cc62d6eab6469.jpeg

Accident in Kalasin province on April 14.

There have been 14 fewer road deaths this year compared to last year during the first three days of the so-called “seven dangerous days” of the Songkran holiday.

While 167 people were killed in road accidents this year, 181 died last year.However, 1,795 injuries and a total of 1,743 accidents were reported, which is ahead of last year’s 1,777 people injured in 1,661 accidents, Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul told a press conference at the Road Safety Centre yesterday. 

Nakhon Ratchasima was the most dangerous province with nine fatalities, while Chiang Mai had the most accidents (83) and the most injured (86).

On Thursday alone, 748 accidents nationwide killed 79 people and injured 752 people. Most accidents involved motorcycles (80.2 per cent), followed by pickup trucks (7.0 per cent). The major causes were drunk driving (48.8 per cent) and speeding (27.5 per cent). 

Slightly over a third (34.6 per cent) took place on highways and 35.7 per cent on rural roads. The 4pm to 8pm time period was the most accident-prone, accounting for 32.9 per cent of crashes. 

According to the centre’s report for Thursday, 64,141 officials manning 2,043 checkpoints nationwide and 136,509 motorists were cited for traffic violations, mostly for driving without a licence (36,457 cases), driving or riding a motorcycle without a helmet (38,746 cases) and driving a vehicle without wearing a seatbelt (17,344 cases).

As most people had already returned to their hometowns and were celebrating the Thai New Year with their families and friends, authorities focused on enforcing the law at various public places particularly Songkran-designated zones. 

The Interior Ministry has suggested several measures to provincial officials, local administrators, kamnan and village headmen to stop the inebriated from driving. They included ensuring that parking was available at Songkran events, and having organisers hold vehicle keys and refusing to return them to anyone deemed too intoxicated to drive.

Authorities were instructed to dispatch teams to talk with the families of anyone known for drinking and causing a disturbance, shooting a gun at the sky, or speeding.

Officials would also focus on establishments and parties where alcohol was being consumed to prevent anyone driving under the influence. Transport on rivers and the sea ws also monitored. 

In Phang Nga’s Takua Thung district, Somchai Sumanascharoenkul, deputy director-general of the Marine Department, inspected wharfs to ensure the safety of visitors to Phang Nga Bay.

Meanwhile Bangkok Metropolitan Police Bureau reported that they had arrested a total of 9,805 traffic law violators during April 11-13-most of whom (3,282) failed to wear helmets.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312299

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-15

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

There have been 14 fewer road deaths this year compared to last year during the first three days of the so-called “seven dangerous days” of the Songkran holiday.

Plenty of time to overhaul that lead and put Thailand back in front.:post-4641-1156694572:

As the numbers of people driving without a helmet is close to the number who don't have a licence. Just think about that...for every motorcyclist driving around without a helmet, there is also one without a licence. An entertaining road trip game...

why don't they follow what the rest of the world does?

1) Stiff penalties for drinking and driving(Jail, loss of license, rehabilitation, etc) (raising alcohol prices or only selling at a certain time is NOT the answer, it only cripples the honest... 

2) WHY NO HIGHWAY Patrol? they should be out their like white on rice...  Not only for the DD, but also for the ones who drive like bats out of hell, driving in the wrong lanes, taking up 2 lanes, (reminds me of New years coming from Chanthaburi to Srisaket on my Motorcycle and they stationed 1 policeman about every 5 km's...but what where they doing? setting up like they were there for a party, and those working just move their hands... at one point all the mad dashers to Bangkok going through Sakaew took up ALL THE LANES so the ones from south couldn't move at all, it was just a 50 km parking lot... and the police just allowed it... that it was so great to be on a bike... had to go dirt biking to get through the traffic... pity those wanting to go back to Esarn... I am sure it took them a good day and night before that traffic was moving again... I stopped off and inform the Policeman that people were taking up both lanes, and he just waved me on... SO the laws that are made are only as good as the ones responsible of enforcing... and I totally agree with No tailgaters or riding in the back it is the most dangerous spot in a truck... (have you ever seen them? it seems that they are moving from Bangkok back upcountry)  their is no need for all that for a 3 day holiday or a week... totally ridiculous... and honestly, people who want to go home, instead of a mass exodus all at 1 time going out and 1 time coming in... people need to take time off,  without pay if necessary if its that important to them, then people can leave in stages.

3) then we might add... stop all road construction during that time... people do not follow the speed limits and with those heavy equipment owning all the road people just race and dodge them to be the first to take a spot... throwing up dust and gravel of anyone behind them... 

but in reality, probably nothing will ever be done except to put laws into affect that they "think" is the controlling factor... but NO one in this country follows the laws unless it is convenient... so that's when you need "Dirty Harry's out there to be the "enforcer"..."  

and we must remember how many of these people have taken actual driving tests or driving school? did that ever get off the ground?

So lets hope John Law is out in force when the mad rush on Monday comes... 

Oh... here's will be the next new law... 

Bkk to Esarn only can leave on 13th (12 am to 11.59 am)  Return time: 16th: 12 am to 11:59pm  if miss the time frame, can't leave until the 20th

Bkk to North: 13th 12pm to 11.59 pm  Return: 17th: 12am to 11:59 am)

Bkk central:  13th:  10 pm to  4am; Return: 16th 10pm to 17th 4 am

South, East, West  anytime(except for Vans... ) only allow them to drive between the hours of 6 am to 10 pm(that way they think twice before alkys, meth, m150 and all with govenors on their throttles not allowing them to go past 80 and if straddling lanes have a very loud sensor go off inside the van

All expressways and highways during Songkran become toll roads...that way they can build bullet trains faster and going everywhere... 

All License tags have the province its from yes?  If bought in bkk, then need to be pulled and checked by Highway Patrol...

Crazy as this seems... It will have some measure of control... or force people to make other arrangements. Or just stay in Bkk and live it up there on Khaosarn road hehe 

I'm sure this is flawed... so take it as mere idle hands... 

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

....duhh.....

...struggling....and...juggling....

...to convince us that.....'things have gotten better'....???

...wow....

When will they ever learn, ban guns, Thai people use them like they are used in the stupid soap they watch on TV.

Lower the god dam speed limit , to do this they need enforcement don't the police understand enforcement, speed cameras and feet on the ground.

My Thai wife just this minute said to me that she is beginning to hate Thailand, she hates the stupid attitude of the police and people on the roads and the stupid shootings to solve petty arguments.

Thais are to immature I am afraid and I hate to say these things, to have guns and unpoliced highways is retarded. 

When will they ever Learn, corruption is the root of evil and is probably the main cause of the carnage and stupid shootings.

A 14  year old gang raped  and in hospital by ten men, the wild, wild west.

There are worse places in this wicked world, this world,  infested with corrupt money grabbing corporations that control governments .

Take the guns away ban them, stop investing in tanks and submarines and buy some speed cameras, enforce the roads, the revenue from this will buy you some tanks if you need them so bad, nothing can replace a mothers grief at the loss of a child.

The many posters here who keep repeating the same thing over and over again each year, do you feel flustrated repeating the same thing expecting a different outcome each year. Get over it the Thais will run their highways and police department the way they want to and no outside interference needed

56 minutes ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

Anyone know why they don't institute a real driving test?, would seem to be the obvious place to start and I'm sure there would be just as much room for corruption. Now you can get a driving license without ever driven on a road, seems rather er dangerous.

A good idea to do real driving test but who would of taught the test examiners how to drive ? When I took my car driving test in England some 50 years ago the instructor taught instructors  how to do the teaching , he was that good and I still remember some of the little pointers he said, such as " There are 2 old ladies sitting in the back asleep with their Easter bonnets on so when slowing and stopping at a red light do so as gentle as possibly we don't want to wake them up should their bonnets fall off " . He did phone me up to see if I wanted more lessons but I had passed 3 days before mainly due to having ridden bikes for 3 years . My TW says I should drive with more care as Thai drivers don't really know what they are doing. Amen to that !

31 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The many posters here who keep repeating the same thing over and over again each year, do you feel flustrated repeating the same thing expecting a different outcome each year. Get over it the Thais will run their highways and police department the way they want to and no outside interference needed

Yes, it is frustrating, one can only hope that a miracle occurs and the government do something.

I am leaving here soon and will only return for holidays as my young son is being ruined in Thai school and my wife hates her own country now.

2 hours ago, tompelli said:

As the numbers of people driving without a helmet is close to the number who don't have a licence. Just think about that...for every motorcyclist driving around without a helmet, there is also one without a licence. An entertaining road trip game...

36,000 plus drivers without a licence is rather worrying...
I hazard a guess they either failed a test & just took to the roads regardless, or didn't even bother to take a test in the first place.

These people should be banned from driving automatically with a 6 month jail ban suspended, vehicle confiscated..  if caught behind the wheel again then inside you go!!

But I know many people who are failing the test & continue to ride/drive regardless, citing " well I need to get around" what else can I do?

Imposing the above ban might help them to come to the correct decision.. learn/practice & take the test again !!!

2 hours ago, cmiuc said:

All License tags have the province its from yes?  If bought in bkk, then need to be pulled and checked by Highway Patrol...

just to shortly jump into your theorem: Almost any FINANCED car is being "owned" by the head office bank which the money comes from, inadvertently all these HOs are in BKK thus these cars have BKK plates

Edited by thurien

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

Well said.

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

Lower the god dam speed limit , to do this they need enforcement don't the police understand enforcement, speed cameras and feet on the ground.

No need to lower the speed limit versus actually enforcing the existing speed limit. Drove back from Lamphun this morning to Chiang Mai up the Super Highway, sat on 100km/h despite big signs up saying the limit was 90, had cars constantly flying past me the whole way, zero checkpoints nor police vehicles to be seen. Most Thai speed limits are actually fairly reasonable for road conditions, it's that no one ever follows them. 

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

When will they ever learn, ban guns, Thai people use them like they are used in the stupid soap they watch on TV.

My Thai wife just this minute said to me that she is beginning to hate Thailand, she hates the stupid attitude of the police and people on the roads and the stupid shootings to solve petty arguments.

Thais are to immature I am afraid and I hate to say these things, to have guns and unpoliced highways is retarded. 

When will they ever Learn, corruption is the root of evil and is probably the main cause of the carnage and stupid shootings.

A 14  year old gang raped  and in hospital by ten men, the wild, wild west.

There are worse places in this wicked world, this world,  infested with corrupt money grabbing corporations that control governments .

Take the guns away ban them, stop investing in tanks and submarines and buy some speed cameras, enforce the roads, the revenue from this will buy you some tanks if you need them so bad, nothing can replace a mothers grief at the loss of a child.

Seems there were some speed cameras..Somchai decided to smash it cos him NO LIKE...:saai:

Dont forget i still have some "I Survived Thailand 2017" Songran Edition T-Shirts for Sale  500 bt!

3 hours ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

Anyone know why they don't institute a real driving test?, would seem to be the obvious place to start and I'm sure there would be just as much room for corruption. Now you can get a driving license without ever driven on a road, seems rather er dangerous.

Because they view it as a Right and not a Privilege.  If they gave a real driving test they would still do what they are doing now. The reason, the people who are making the rules, applying the rules, and teaching the rules come from the same system of driving. By the time they actually start to get a license it is just a obstacle and once they get one drive away doing the same thing that got them there.

Edited by thailand49

I see a lot of non-Thais here complaining about the lack of policing, be careful what u wish for. 

Over policing is the flip side of the coin, when gov profits billions off everyday motorists in the name of road safety, when realistically it's driver training that is required. 

Personally it's one of the reasons I'm leaving Australia, it's become the nanny country, there's a law against nearly everything imaginable. 

YES, teach Thais to drive, MAKE them do driving tests and get their licences, that's a good start for sure, get the DDs off the road yes great, but I for one would hate to have the police breathing down my neck every time I take a drive and be nervous coz I'm going a few kms over the limit. 

The EVERY K over is a killer strategy is bs. 

Btw, Thais learn VERY young how to ride/drive on the road and probably have way more road sense than half the foreigners on this forum, of course they have to, cos there's traffic Kaos coming from all directions!! Haha

one of the habits I picked up from driving in Thailand for two solid months, when I got back home, I continued to look in both directions for oncoming traffic, even one way streets, or just turning left onto another road. 

The only other human pastime that runs up scores like this is called Cricket...... and the other one that runs up similar death totals is called war.

Significantly, it would appear that Thai people who spend a lot of time with foreigners (Husband/Girlfriend/Boyfriend) and travel out side the confines of the country realize how bad things are in their own country.

Sadly, there is not enough of them and none of them are members of the Junta  Government. So expect to be reading the same news in 2018.

11 hours ago, moe666 said:

I bet you fit in well mate dont you 555555555

Hark at the numpties trying to change everything and make it perfect. Shit happens & all that and I bet the national average per hour road deaths is not far off Songkran figures. It matters not one jot what the authorities do or don't do, folk will have fun and these figures will get progressively higher as the locals get moneyed. But keep whining if it makes you feel good.

21 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Margin of error...Thais view it as a success if there is one less death in relative terms...not absolute which the comparison should be...

what about the ones that died either on their way to hospital or in the ward.

21 hours ago, cmiuc said:

why don't they follow what the rest of the world does?

1) Stiff penalties for drinking and driving(Jail, loss of license, rehabilitation, etc) (raising alcohol prices or only selling at a certain time is NOT the answer, it only cripples the honest... 

2) WHY NO HIGHWAY Patrol? they should be out their like white on rice...

This is only a part of what road safety is about.

It's:

Education,

Deterrence,

Enforcement.

In a perfect environment enforcement would be a last resort, not the first. I get as annoyed as anyone by selfish, stupid driving but you must remember WHY they drive like this. There's nothing wrong with being a Thai but you have to accept the way they have been brought up. That's what makes them different from other nations and love it or hate it, you have to recognise that.

16 hours ago, DjSiN said:

I see a lot of non-Thais here complaining about the lack of policing, be careful what u wish for. 

Over policing is the flip side of the coin, when gov profits billions off everyday motorists in the name of road safety, when realistically it's driver training that is required. 

Personally it's one of the reasons I'm leaving Australia, it's become the nanny country, there's a law against nearly everything imaginable. 

YES, teach Thais to drive, MAKE them do driving tests and get their licences, that's a good start for sure, get the DDs off the road yes great, but I for one would hate to have the police breathing down my neck every time I take a drive and be nervous coz I'm going a few kms over the limit. 

The EVERY K over is a killer strategy is bs. 

Btw, Thais learn VERY young how to ride/drive on the road and probably have way more road sense than half the foreigners on this forum, of course they have to, cos there's traffic Kaos coming from all directions!! Haha

one of the habits I picked up from driving in Thailand for two solid months, when I got back home, I continued to look in both directions for oncoming traffic, even one way streets, or just turning left onto another road. 

I do agree with you in some things.In Australia you are right the police book you for everything Its become a money making thing now. Told my Thai wife Australia has become a police state where people are to scared to go out because the police are everywhere Once upon a time police were there to help you but now they have become tax collectors( as in fines for the government. But the problem here is Thai people dont know how to drive The government should be advertising more and make people learn how to drive the right way. My Thai wife has a daughter from deceased husband and she went to driving school She is Thai and she is a great driver Maybe the answer is to late to teach the older drivers so start with the younger ones