BMA bans all street food across Bangkok this year

webfact

The up coming election will be like a dog race in Florida fast from beginning to end. No prisoners taken. 

I've never been to a dog race in Florida. Tell me, is there only one dog running, or do they hobble the legs of all the dogs other than the bookies "favourite"?

:):)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, manarak said:

why is it that they keep making one ridiculous rule after the other ?

The "authorities" love the attention it gets them, makes them feel important and they hope it will impress others. The reality is that it seems to be ridiculous people making ridiculous rules. No idea how to use critical thinking in solving perceived problems.

12 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

When I first came to Thailand there were few tourists but there were many street vendors.. That told me the vendors were there for the Thai,s. It was not a case of tourists are coming lets sell on the street. Street vendors are part and parcel of BKK. 

I used to live near Soi Ari skytrain stop. I was appreciative of a vendor who sold noodles at night> when I would come home after 11 pm the noodle vendor would be there. Many nights before I went home I would stop for noodles or a fruit drink just so  the vendor knew I was heading home and was aware what I was doing.With out him I would have got off the train and walked home without any others on the street in the area.

I too lived near Ari about ten years ago, and used the street vendors all the time. When we were in Bangkok recently, we hit one of our favourite restaurants just up the road from Ari BTS, the Chinese seafood restaurant Lhao Lhao. We always sit at one of the outside tables because 1) I don't much like air conditioning, and 2) I like to have a cigarette after my meal without having to go and stand outside like some miscreant. We turned up at about 8.30 only to find that there were no outside tables. When we asked why, they told us it was because they were now not allowed to put tables on the pavement anymore. We were advised to return at about 9.30, when, it would seem, they could get away with it. Anybody who knows this place will know that the outside tables there don't interfere at all with pedestrian flow (which is minimal at that time anyway), as there is still a wide area to walk. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And what then, when they have turned Bangkok into one big air conditioned shopping mall, with nowhere for the low-paid denizens of Bangkok to pick up cheap food? Because most apartments / rooms in Bangkok don't even have kitchens - it's considered unnecessary because there are always cheap street vendors nearby. Is Bangkok to be for HiSo only? And who will service those HioSo in their glass towers, if the workers can no longer afford to live there?

This is an ill-informed, ill-thought out plan put into motion by grey, unimaginative people who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, and have no thought for the realities of the situation.

Bangkok is not Singapore, and never will be, however much they might wish it so.

Many people don't realize that those street vendors are strongly middle class. They are not poor like factory workers. Most of those vendors are making profits of 1000 - 1500 baht per day.

Now, I don't begrudge them that money. It is hard work standing all day and preparing food. They earn it. But there is no reason with that kind of income they can not afford to pay rent of 5000 baht to have a stall in the market. The only problem is they may get less foot traffic, which is why it only works if everyone is forced to abandon the sidewalks so that customers are forced to walk into the market to get food.

Yes, there will be an adjustment period, but it is hardly the oppression of the poor. It is a realignment of cultural expectations though, and hopefully for the best. In a few years people will simply walk into a market area to buy their kao man gai, rather than block pedestrians on the sidewalk, and nobody will remember why it was such a big deal. Prices are unlikely to go up substantially. It is not that big of a burden, and those who need to use the sidewalks for their proper purpose, i.e. walking, will be eternally grateful.

5 hours ago, Prbkk said:

That's a valid point. Sukhumvit Soi 8 is a good example. The footpaths are fully occupied by illegal building/structures, the (good quality) street vendors occupy the street. Pedestrians are forced to wander down the middle of the road. Remove the vendors and clear the street? Maybe better to relocate the vendors into one of the alleys.

What about Soi Nana just outside Nana Plaza......Shocking!    Not that I go there frequently!!!!

Great! Soon Bangkok will be just as clear, sterile and booooring as Singapore. 

The authorities could eliminate the problems associated with street vendors "if" they administered the present laws. Yeah, I know -- 555555. It's evidently easier for the powers that be to wipe out all street vendors than to do their jobs. 

1 hour ago, Dodgydownunder said:

What about Soi Nana just outside Nana Plaza......Shocking!    Not that I go there frequently!!!!

Well last time I wandered that way there was some kind of convention for visually impaired people.

All the women were somewhat haphazardly dressed, and seemed to be under the impression that I was extraordinarily handsome.

All I was looking for was a plate of Pad Thai - honest!

From the Guardian report: There has been confusion about how the policy will be implemented. The area’s district chief, Boontham Huiprasert, said push-cart vendors who can move around will still be tolerated but that larger semi-permanent stalls with seating will have to go.

“Or if they can find a place to set up their shop without obstructing the sidewalk, such as behind the railing of the Thong Lor police station or some other private building, that would be OK too,” he added.

So it seems to be primarily aimed at the semi-permanents stalls directly on the pavement, and not the operations occupying the tiled spaces outside 7/11 for example.

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well last time I wandered that way there was some kind of convention for visually impaired people.

All the women were somewhat haphazardly dressed, and seemed to be under the impression that I was extraordinarily handsome.

All I was looking for was a plate of Pad Thai - honest!

Hmm! Well I guess Pad Thai is a bit of a rarity:smile:

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

From the Guardian report: There has been confusion about how the policy will be implemented. The area’s district chief, Boontham Huiprasert, said push-cart vendors who can move around will still be tolerated but that larger semi-permanent stalls with seating will have to go.

“Or if they can find a place to set up their shop without obstructing the sidewalk, such as behind the railing of the Thong Lor police station or some other private building, that would be OK too,” he added.

So it seems to be primarily aimed at the semi-permanents stalls directly on the pavement, and not the operations occupying the tiled spaces outside 7/11 for example.

So now we'll see the development of push-carts the size of the tray of a truck. Watch this space.

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I wonder what the going rate for a nice hassle free pitch behind the railings of Thong Lor police station is?

I'm sure it would prove to be a wise investment, for someone....

22 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I think this total BS.....Just because they might back off just a little

it does not mean they don't want every last food cart gone from

Bangkok and maybe from all of Thailand, so as to try and

make Thailand into another sterile Singapore....

But just cause they want this does not mean the Thai people

plan to go along with the program..

Edited by fforest1

10 hours ago, hoyism said:

capitalism is alive and kicking in Bangkok. i'm just wondering how long the less affluent people here and those who are loosing their livelihoods will take it? 

They can start a new career as Nanny.

There's a huge need for nannies in BKK because they ALL bring their nasty kids to restaurants and malls to ruin the atmosphere there.

Also many people should go back to upcountry, BKK is like a full parkinggarage where full means full.

47 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

nope, the streetside eateries in front of shops like 7-11 will not go, because the ground there is not owned by the BMA, it is owned by the shops which supplement their income by renting it out to the eateries.

but I really wonder what keeps them from delimiting spaces, numbering them and selling licenses for using the spots.

Edited by manarak

All they will do is move onto private property...

I am sorry for shop owners who own some pavement outside their businesses who find all sorts setting up shop on their frontages and find the local law enforcement unwilling to move them on.

26 minutes ago, Basil B said:

All they will do is move onto private property...

I am sorry for shop owners who own some pavement outside their businesses who find all sorts setting up shop on their frontages and find the local law enforcement unwilling to move them on.

The shops as you call them that set up in front of an established business pay monthly rent to the business they are in front of. This is all worked out before they can set up'No permission ,no rent ,no shop simple as that.

8 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I have never heard of any tourists coming here for street food. Most are probably warned to stay away from it. 

I don't know where you come from, but certainly tourists from the UK have street food high on their list of reasons to visit Thailand.

Take a walk down Khao San Rd and every second tourist is munching on something bought from a street vendor.

10 hours ago, DM07 said:

Everytime it is the @#$%^&* same in Thailand.

There is no grey, there is only black and white: we let everything go, totally unregulated or we totally cut it down to zero!

Same with the beach chairs and cheap restaurant on the beaches!

For decades, we don't give a sh1t and suddenly, we just tear everything down (and allow to build it up again, after money is paid under the table).

Sit down, come up with some sensible regulation (hygene my @$$!)!

You are aware though, that whatever YOU think, might not be interesting, because literally millions of Thais think different!

I am aware of that, that is why i have shared my personal feelings based on personal experience. READ again  "......street food in Thailand  equals to me....." .

I am not trying to convince anybody here.

On 4/18/2017 at 0:15 PM, richard_smith237 said:

My sister hurt herself on a visit here...  a street vendor had disposed of their Oil across the pavement, which was then washed away with water... the pavement was slick, almost icy... my sister feet just 'went from under her'... 

When with my Chid I generally drive everywhere to avoid these issues... Boiling Oil at face level - the potential is quite frightening, especially on a pavement made narrower by foot-carts and high footfall. 
We can't push a child in a pushchair down the pavements, again these stalls present too much obstacle... 

All of that said: These stalls are part of Bangkok, they are part of its charm and character...  I feel a much better solution of control rather than a ban would be better. 
Allow 'certain areas' where pavements (sidewalks) are wide enough, or have off the street food courts (like Singapore)... a blanket Ban seems lazy. 

Isn't it better instead to issue licenses ? - but then that opens up more opportunity for corruption. 

As I alluded to in my earlier post: there already ARE control solutions and 'certain areas'. The problem is the vendors don't five a flying <deleted> :rolleyes: I honestly don't feel sorry for these people as there are many vendors that do stay in their areas and do follow the "1st Monday rule" (and if people don't know what that is they're probably not as "in touch" as they think). These honest vendors will continue their trade (as has been the case in past "crackdowns")

10 hours ago, Thechook said:

David Thompson is an Australian Chef, author and world authority on Thai food having been voted  n#1 thai chef and cooked for the palace.  He owns a number of resturants around the world including in Bangkok.  He produced and presented a 12 part series for aust t.v totled thai street food, good from across the country not just bkk.  He described it as his passion and inspiration and the best food.  The heart and life of thai culture.  Cheap nutritious and vital for Thai economy.

My opinion on glorified Thai street food doesn't have to match his or yours. 

..but I really wonder what keeps them from delimiting spaces, numbering them and selling licenses for using the spots.

Nothing keeps them from doing that...which is why they already do that.;) Look carefully at many BKK pavements after the vendors have left and you'll sometimes spot the remnant of a painted rectangle.

This should be welcomed by all the thai bashers on TV. It is actually a very effective way to cull the remaining poor people and lift the country out of the 'middle income' trap and take it a good notch higher. Standard and quality of life will improve and costs will eventually rise, the farang economic refugees/retirees, backpackers, mongers etc will then be forced to migrate to poorer countries.