BMA bans all street food across Bangkok this year

webfact

38 minutes ago, CosmicSurfer said:

What about Food trucks????

CS

The food trucks that were in Pattaya for art festival recently were mostly selling cool trendy food for $$$ ....

Edited by fforest1

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, saakura said:

This should be welcomed by all the thai bashers on TV. It is actually a very effective way to cull the remaining poor people and lift the country out of the 'middle income' trap and take it a good notch higher. Standard and quality of life will improve and costs will eventually rise, the farang economic refugees/retirees, backpackers, mongers etc will then be forced to migrate to poorer countries. 

Your right nothing in life is more important than money..

Money is pretty much the be-all end-all to life itself...

Its just to damm bad that 10s of millions of Thais will not

be going along for the ride..But those at the very top will

profit quite nicely..

Instead of the old tired motto of "let them eat cake"

Maybe something fresh like "starve them into submission"

7 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Your right nothing in life is more important than money..

Money is pretty much the be-all end-all to life itself...

Its just to damm bad that 10s of millions of Thais will not

be going along for the ride..But those at the very top will

profit quite nicely..

Instead of the old tired motto of "let them eat cake"

Maybe something fresh like "starve them into submission"

I am not supporting this in any way, just trying to figure out the rationale behind this bizzare idea to push millions of ordinary thais and foreigners deeper into poverty.

nope, the streetside eateries in front of shops like 7-11 will not go, because the ground there is not owned by the BMA, it is owned by the shops which supplement their income by renting it out to the eateries.

but I really wonder what keeps them from delimiting spaces, numbering them and selling licenses for using the spots.

Ummh, possibly the inconvenient fact that various entrepreneurs, often in brown outfits, have already done so on an informal basis?

THey better get rit of the many cars and the many busses and frightcarriers. THey spit out enormous amounts of gasses , carbon, dust and so on. Besides its way to crowded from the vehicles ! Hire some people to clean the city, oops that will cost ofcourse.

1 hour ago, eldragon said:

Bangkok is not a pretty enough city to do away with all street vendors.

You're right: when the vendor is gone you are just left with an ugly space.  And it may not long before it is smelling, or occupied by cardboard and sleeping bags.

Edited by mommysboy

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

You're right: when the vendor is gone you are just left with an ugly space.  And it may not long before it is smelling, or occupied by cardboard and sleeping bags.

As it stands, the street vendors are the only thing preventing people from pissing wherever they want.

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't know where you come from, but certainly tourists from the UK have street food high on their list of reasons to visit Thailand.

Take a walk down Khao San Rd and every second tourist is munching on something bought from a street vendor.

Just have a look at the Pizzahut at kao san road, loads of brits there mate.

And i only see them carrying a bottle of water. 

But why not make streetfood area's where locals and tourists can enjoy it?  Or let them open a small shop, the Mac has a big shop at the entrance of each mall in BKK so that prooves not so many people are interested in streetfood.

5 hours ago, CLW said:

Not to forget "Happiness for the people"...
I ask myself, which people... emoji53.png

Regarding Thai people the big man only cares for his people, not for anybody else. There's no way that Thailand becomes a democracy because the Army is doing all that this won't happen in the near future. 

The scary part is that they just bought quite a lot of tanks and ordered a lot more. I;m just wondering for what purpose?

He does really everything that the poor people can't even run a little business and there's nobody who can stop him from doing so. 

9 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't know where you come from, but certainly tourists from the UK have street food high on their list of reasons to visit Thailand.

Take a walk down Khao San Rd and every second tourist is munching on something bought from a street vendor.

I was guessing it had to be UK. Only some one coming from that culinary background would consider KSR street "food" delicious. It's among the worst I've tried in Thailand, utterly bland. Rambuttri (the next soi north) has a couple of real restaurants that are ok-ish.

10 hours ago, lineofentry said:

Get rid of the little people, then everyone will have to eat in the <deleted> corporate malls, basically the same principle that guides the EU etc.

That's why many cornershops in the EU sell food. Works great. And fastfood we buy through a window.

And in the streets of Europe i see vietnamese snackwagons everywhere.

I recall when Singapore was 'cleaned up', different words for ruined.

Street food is great, squid legs, chicken livers, meat balls, all on sticks, in a bag of chili sauce, all a staple when wandering the streets of Bangkok.

Think again about this regressive step please.

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

But why not make streetfood area's where locals and tourists can enjoy it?  Or let them open a small shop, the Mac has a big shop at the entrance of each mall in BKK so that prooves not so many people are interested in streetfood.

Not really.  It proves that not all people are interested solely in street food.  I like to go to Macs but I also like street food.  I also like to cook my own decent food.  It's a good idea to create street-food areas.

All about control and money

The food sellers will be forced to work in food centers either government owned or private not stated yet which,but some one will get rent money.. They will probably also be told they must buy their products from certain suppliers or cannot set up shop in the center. So they will become workers for a few rich people. Same as 7/11. May even have 5 years contracts for space in centers which need to be renewed. Big money maker for some and pay to work jobs for the food sellers. CP or another big company may get the right s to supply them with meat and produce that  kind of set up.

All about control and money
  The food sellers will be forced to work in food centers either government owned or private not stated yet which,but some one will get rent money.. They will probably also be told they must buy their products from certain suppliers or cannot set up shop in the center. So they will become workers for a few rich people. Same as 7/11. May even have 5 years contracts for space in centers which need to be renewed. Big money maker for some and pay to work jobs for the food sellers. CP or another big company may get the right s to supply them with meat and produce that  kind of set up.

The big one's not big enough.
Greed at it's perfection.
I can remember the food courts at Chaeng Wattana Government Complex being independent companies.
Now at least two food courts called "CP food center". [emoji36]
Two days ago used the new train to Chiang Mai and guess who has the concession for the restaurant car...
CP Retaillink
Well, at least they now serve fresh coffee there [emoji57]
No Monopoly control in this country, only money rules...

On 4/18/2017 at 7:59 AM, fforest1 said:

My friend pack your bags and move to Singapore right away

the lifeless sterile paradise you dream of awaits you there...

And the unaffordable cost of living. 

On 4/18/2017 at 5:38 AM, Moonmoon said:

While some places are a nice welcome change after clearing the pavement, I believe they should not clean up all the street food vendors. 

Probably for KhaoSan and Yaowarat the BMA should regulate and issue licenses to the street food vendors who meet the health and safety requirements, thus preserving the street food heritage and also meeting health n safety requirements for the public.

ding ding ding someone with some common sense... to bad common sense does not seem to be a trait the BMA carries.

on a side note some of the restaurants are filthier than the street vendors!

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

Logic fail. It proves that there is a market for Big Macs and that the Scottish Restaurant chain can pay for good locations.

99% (made up statistic) of all street food is consumed by Thais.

On 18/04/2017 at 5:38 AM, Moonmoon said:

While some places are a nice welcome change after clearing the pavement, I believe they should not clean up all the street food vendors. 

Probably for KhaoSan and Yaowarat the BMA should regulate and issue licenses to the street food vendors who meet the health and safety requirements, thus preserving the street food heritage and also meeting health n safety requirements for the public.

Seems like BMA has seen my post. Fear not khaosan n yaowarat r being preserved.

http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/news/no-streetfoot-khaosan-and-yaowarat-are-not-going-anywhere