Motorcycle starting problem

robblok

I got a yamaha nouvo elegance as my shopping motorbike, its a carbed bike and I am encountering starting problems.  When I don't use the bike for a few days it starts hard (need to use kick start instead of electric starting method). I have had them change the battery so that is not really the problem. Is it normal for a bike to start hard after 2 or 3 days of non use. The bike is parked outside so it can get wet but even if it does not rain I got the same problem. With my kawasaki ninja 650 with fuel injection i never have this problem so I thought it might be related to this being non fuel injection bike.

Are there any suggestions how to solve this or is this just something I have to live with. Not a major hassle but if i can solve it by letting them replace the carburateur for a new one or something like that (did try spark-plugs already did not make a difference same as new battery)

Try putting the more expensive fuel in 95 Ron I think.

I had the same problem on an carbed Nuevo and it certainly helped.

Bike ran better as well.

Redex petrol treatment might be worth a go as well, available Big C.

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Ever had a carb service or overhaul it's sometimes needed if over 5 years old.

Has it got a fuel filter.?

Never had a carb service (it has over 30k km) and I don't know if has a fuel filter.. i always let them service it. 

1 hour ago, tj916 said:

Try putting the more expensive fuel in 95 Ron I think.

I had the same problem on an carbed Nuevo and it certainly helped.

Bike ran better as well.

Redex petrol treatment might be worth a go as well, available Big C.

Good luck.

I usually put 95 in it.. not that much more expensive

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Ever had a carb service or overhaul it's sometimes needed if over 5 years old.

Has it got a fuel filter.?

All the carbed Nouvos have this problem.  The person who bought my MX solved it by having the fuel filter changed, as per Kwasaki's suggestion.

I just send the bike off and let them clean the carb.. i tried to tell them about  a fuel filter.. but they thought i meant oil filter, (nam man en nam man krueng)  I will see how it goes.

The bike has had new spark-plugs a while back.. but who knows.. maybe should get new ones of that too. 

I did explain that it had problems starting. 

To be honest i have been using 91 in a lot of different scooters before i never noticed a real difference with 95, but anyway i agree for the price, better go for 95 it's not like if it was really more expensive.

So it's not the spark plug, not the battery, not the electric starter because it doesn't goes straight when you kick aswell, hum ...

When it works, how is your IDLE, is it stable ? Do you have gaps in low rpms when you accelerate ?

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

Do not use redex, it once ruined an engine of mine in the UK.

What is redex ... !?

1 minute ago, Pepper9187 said:

To be honest i have been using 91 in a lot of different scooters before i never noticed a real difference with 95, but anyway i agree for the price, better go for 95 it's not like if it was really more expensive.

So it's not the spark plug, not the battery, not the electric starter because it doesn't goes straight when you kick aswell, hum ...

When it works, how is your IDLE, is it stable ? Do you have gaps in low rpms when you accelerate ?

What is redex ... !?

It is an 'upper cylinder lubricant' it is added at time of filling up with fuel, a squirt at a time in the petrol. Some people say ok, some not, I like to err on the latter.

12 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

What is redex ... !?

Hi,

No gaps.. in low rpm and it idles good.. Once it starts it works like a charm.

If it stands still for 1 day no problem electric starter starts it.. 2 days.. start of problems 3 days.. need the kickstarter.

But had the carb cleaned so will see they also charged the battery.. but that is not the problem. Got a charger of my own. 

49 minutes ago, vogie said:

49 minutes ago, vogie said:

Find that hard to believe.

The odd dose should help stop gum/varnish building up in 'old skool' carb bikes.

Modern fuel injection machines are designed to accept the ethanol/alcohol/petrol mix.

Edited by tj916

4 minutes ago, tj916 said:

Find that hard to believe.

That is your perogative, I think the idea of using redex to new engine is probably ok, but using on a used engine it will de-carbonise it and it will sound like a bag of knackers. But what do I know, I have served my time as a motor mechanic with city and guilds, but I will bow to your superior knowledge.

3 minutes ago, tj916 said:

How can removing excess carbon from an engine be a bad thing.

Look I have tried to explain to you, you obviously haven't got the nous to take it in, you don't believe me. Sorry I tried to help.

After a few days w/o starting does it starts straight when you kick (or after 2-3 shots) ?

Cause if it does, it could be just a worn battery or a worn generator, if that's it, changing the part below should fix it.

You need to check your battery voltage after 3 days w/o starting.

6yn1LKSFa.jpg

Edited by Pepper9187

Very common issue with the 135cc Elegance.   The automatic choke was not effective.  I used to remove the plastics so I could get at the air intake hose, then squeeze the hose to restrict the air supply to make it run rich (like an effective choke), it will start easily from cold this way.

It's a nuisance,  so you may be able to find a simpler way.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Look I have tried to explain to you, you obviously haven't got the nous to take it in, you don't believe me. Sorry I tried to help.

you seem reluctant to answer a fair question, O learned one.

maybe  papa's 'nous' is bad too?, dunno.

1 hour ago, Pepper9187 said:

After a few days w/o starting does it starts straight when you kick (or after 2-3 shots) ?

Cause if it does, it could be just a worn battery or a worn generator, if that's it, changing the part below should fix it.

You need to check your battery voltage after 3 days w/o starting.

6yn1LKSFa.jpg

I wish it was 2 or 3 shots.. often a few more then that.

1 minute ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Just stop using gasahol crap and use benzine, problem solved, and it will also run a lot better and use less fuel.

I always use 95 in my Forza, how can I tell the difference between gasahol and benzine? If gasahol is crap, then I don't want to be using it.

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I always use 95 in my Forza, how can I tell the difference between gasahol and benzine? If gasahol is crap, then I don't want to be using it.

91 gasohol....green pump

95 gasohol...... orange pump

95 benzine..... yellow pump