Asylum seekers crossing into Canada increase with warmer weather

webfact

Asylum seekers crossing into Canada increase with warmer weather

REUTERS

r12.jpg

FILE PHOTO - An international boundary marker marks the Canada - U.S. border near the former border crossing at Emerson, Manitoba, Canada on February 25, 2017. REUTERS/Lyle Stafford/File Photo

(Reuters) - Canadian authorities caught 887 asylum seekers crossing unlawfully into Canada from the United States in March, nearly triple the number in January, according to numbers released by the government Wednesday.

This brings the total number of asylum seekers caught walking across the border to 1,860 so far this year. The new statistics suggest those numbers could rise further as the weather warms.

Canada is on track to see the highest number of asylum claims in six years, given the pace of claims filed so far, as increasing numbers of people cross into Canada to make refugee claims in the wake of U.S. President Donald Trump's election and his crackdown on refugees and illegal immigrants.

Under the Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement, Canada is required to turn asylum seekers away if they try to file refugee claims at land border crossings. But if people cross the border in between formal crossings, they are taken into custody and questioned by both police and border authorities, then allowed to file claims and stay in Canada while they await the outcome.

Refugee advocates have argued that were it not for the Safe Third Country Agreement, people would file claims at border crossings instead.

The people caught crossing unlawfully comprise a fifth of everyone who has filed asylum claims in Canada so far this year but they loom large in Canadian politics, with the federal government taking fire for its wait-and-see approach. Nearly half of the people surveyed in a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released in March wanted to deport people illegally crossing into Canada from its southern neighbour.

"The majority of irregular migrants are holders of visas for the United States," according to a statement released Wednesday from the office of Canada's Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale.

"Canadian authorities are managing the increase in asylum seekers in a sound and measured way. ... To be clear - trying to slip across the border in an irregular manner is not a 'free' ticket to Canada."

Almost three-quarters of the asylum seekers caught crossing so far this year were taken into custody in Quebec, the government data showed. Roxham Road, which straddles Champlain, New York and Hemmingford, Quebec, has become such a common spot that photographers cluster there and would-be refugees refer to it by name.

Most of the others were taken into custody in Manitoba and British Columbia - 331 and 201, respectively.

Police said Wednesday they have charged 43-year-old Michelle Omoruyi with human smuggling and conspiracy to commit human smuggling. Police allege they found Omoruyi driving nine west African asylum seekers across the U.S. border into the prairie province of Saskatchewan Friday night. The nine asylum seekers have filed refugee claims and are not in custody.

(Reporting by Anna Mehler Paperny; editing by Diane Craft)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-20

Something that has been buggering me for a while.

Think about all the Mexicans entering the USA illegally and Trump planning to build a wall.

Since Canada now lifted the visa requirements for Mexicans, why don't asylum seekers fly into Canada, and walk south across the border? The US-Canada border is way more porous and easier than the US-Mexico border.

Why are all tese people leaving the land of milk and honey, for the land of Igloos.  I  thought that people liked the USA better  than  Canada.  Shame on  Manitoba  for not collecting these people and trucking them right back to the USA  border.

Geezer

7 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Why are all tese people leaving the land of milk and honey, for the land of Igloos.  I  thought that people liked the USA better  than  Canada.  Shame on  Manitoba  for not collecting these people and trucking them right back to the USA  border.

Geezer

The US would be under no obligation to take them back.   Once they have left the US and do not have a US passport or permanent residence, there is no obligation to re-admit them.  

Canada would have to prevent them from entering.  

Ref your coment Scott, Are you saying that the USA  is another dumping ground for people to fly, boat or drive into,  just

so they can illegally get  into  Canada,  and  the US  has  no responsibility  in this  situation?

If so  this  sounds  like  a  cop  out to me. Yes  maybe  Canada needs to get a wall built  and  paid  for  by the  US, if

this is  indeed  the case.

Geezer

No, it's not necessarily any effort on the part of the US to dump anyone.   I doubt the US is doing anything to facilitate their travel to Canada, and if the US did in anyway assist them, there would be some major pushback from the international community and especially from Canada.

For whatever reason, these people are heading to Canada.   Once you are outside a country, they have no obligation to let you back in, with the exception of citizens and Permanent Resident Aliens.  

If Canada does not allow them to enter, then they would technically be in the US and would be dealt with by US law.  

I remember another time in the late 60's and early 70's when there were also a lot of Asylum Seekers. The US Government called them "Draft Dodgers".

Hell! As long as they are willing to work and pay taxes and keep their noses clean, who cares. Canada is big enough and has plenty of room for more. As long as they don't try to mild the system then why not stay. If they do try, then time to go back from where they came.

On 4/20/2017 at 4:47 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Geezer

The article was less than obvious on what citizenships were involved, but it said they were people with US Visas, which means they were not USA citizens.  A US citizen would not have a USA Visa,   " "The majority of irregular migrants are holders of visas for the United States,"

Canada is no full of the recent refugees from Syria and we also have lots of new immigrants. These people do not need to be able to speak English or French, so Canada has to pay for these people to learn, it is a disgrace.

Canada does not need any more of these illigal people coming into Canada via the USA and people traffikers helping out this new situation.  If the USA has people coming there from other countries, then the USA can keep those visitors, Canada does not need any or them

Geezer

14 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Canada is no full of the recent refugees from Syria and we also have lots of new immigrants. These people

do not need to be able to speak English or French, so Canada has to pay for these people to learn, it is a disgrace.

Canada does not need any more of these illigel people coming into Canada via the USA and people traffikers helping

out this new situation.  If the USA has people coming there from other countries, then the USA can keep those

visitors, Canada does not need any or them

Geezer

I don't know if you actually know anyone from Syria but recently I started working with a group of them Overseas and was quite surprised in what I discovered.

All of them speak good English, and most of them are University Educated, taking on jobs well below their skill level. All of them are hard working, honest, and religious. Even though there religion is different than mine. All of them have enough money saved to support themselves in Canada for a couple of years at least and until they could find well paying jobs. The kind of people who would gladly give you a helping hand in anything you are doing. So I tend to disagree with you and say these are exactly the kind of people we need in Canada. The kind of people who made Canada great to begin with.

You have no idea what it is like to live in Suria now, as I know I didn't know. To live in a place where bombs are going off at your front door. To have family or friends killed in this country. To have people with power come up to you and tell you that from now on you have to give them 10% (or more) of your profit or risk losing it all. Worst then the Mafia. Many of them are forced to leave there country and can't return. For a war they never caused or took part in any other way.

I don't know! I am opossed to having people move in and live off of the Government and always looking for a hand out. But on the other hand, shouldn't we try to help people who are willing and able to help themselves?

3 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I don't know if you actually know anyone from Syria but recently I started working with a group of them Overseas and was quite surprised in what I discovered.

All of them speak good English, and most of them are University Educated, taking on jobs well below their skill level. All of them are hard working, honest, and religious. Even though there religion is different than mine. All of them have enough money saved to support themselves in Canada for a couple of years at least and until they could find well paying jobs. The kind of people who would gladly give you a helping hand in anything you are doing. So I tend to disagree with you and say these are exactly the kind of people we need in Canada. The kind of people who made Canada great to begin with.

You have no idea what it is like to live in Suria now, as I know I didn't know. To live in a place where bombs are going off at your front door. To have family or friends killed in this country. To have people with power come up to you and tell you that from now on you have to give them 10% (or more) of your profit or risk losing it all. Worst then the Mafia. Many of them are forced to leave there country and can't return. For a war they never caused or took part in any other way.

I don't know! I am opossed to having people move in and live off of the Government and always looking for a hand out. But on the other hand, shouldn't we try to help people who are willing and able to help themselves?

Non Christian Terrorists. 

10 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Nice post, I understand how one gets a different perspective if you are, in some way, involved with the people and the fall out from war or other disaster in other countries. 

But it can be a trap of human nature to act so compassionately, especially on that scale, spending other peoples' money to do it.  Once you set a generous precedent and are seen as a soft touch, it will be exploited, then morph into an expectation, then a demand.  A slippery slope that can be very difficult to get traction on once it builds up momentum.

My hat's off to Australia for re-asserting some control over their runaway train on that slippery track.   Condemnation and guilt trips were intense, but they took the heat and showed resolve.  If you don't stand up for yourself, others will take the piss out of you until you do. 

11 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Nice post, I understand how one gets a different perspective if you are, in some way, involved with the people and the fall out from war or other disaster in other countries. 

But it can be a trap of human nature to act so compassionately, especially on that scale, spending other peoples' money to do it.  Once you set a generous precedent and are seen as a soft touch, it will be exploited, then morph into an expectation, then a demand.  A slippery slope that can be very difficult to get traction on once it builds up momentum.

My hat's off to Australia for re-asserting some control over their runaway train on that slippery track.   Condemnation and guilt trips were intense, but they took the heat and showed resolve.  If you don't stand up for yourself, others will take the piss out of you until you do. 

I understand were you are coming from also. But let me ask you, and several others here, one question.

Why do you and everyone else here assume that these people are all wanting to come to Canada, or the UK, or Australia, or Germany, or France, just for a Hand Out? Just to live off our Welfare and Medicare System.?

The Syrians I recently met and got to understand better all have good jobs. They all would be allowed to keep these jobs if there were allowed to move to Canada as they work overseas on a rotation basis. So they would actually be contributing by bringing in new Tax Dollars and not taking away. There isn't one of them who I met would want to quit this job just so they could live on Welfare in Canada. Would you quit a well paying job to live on Welfare in your country? They are also educated and trained and all speak English to.

All they are looking for is a safe place to live and without fear and where they can raise their family. A place that with hard work they can get ahead in life, and not have the Mafia knocking on there door at night for forced donations. A good education system where they can learn new skills and improve there employment possibilities. A better life for them and there children. Is that asking too much?

They have 2 ways in which they can legally come to Canada. The normal route by applying for landed imigration, which now take severals years to develope, or sponsership. Even though the guys I know all have money saved and can pay their own way in Canada for the 2 years, and don't need a sponser, the government still insists on them having a Sponser.

Someone who will show them around and how to do things, like open a bank account, or how to gp to a hospital, and perhpas even offer them a place to stay when then first arrive. Even though they have the rent money for that and would pay. But it is not easy for them to find a stranger living in Canada who would want to do this or take responcibility of a stranger for 2 years. Like any sponsership, this could be financial responsibility as well, if things go wrong and they can't support themself for some reason.   

10 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I understand were you are coming from also. But let me ask you, and several others here, one question.

Why do you and everyone else here assume that these people are all wanting to come to Canada, or the UK, or Australia, or Germany, or France, just for a Hand Out? Just to live off our Welfare and Medicare System.?

The Syrians I recently met and got to understand better all have good jobs. They all would be allowed to keep these jobs if there were allowed to move to Canada as they work overseas on a rotation basis. So they would actually be contributing by bringing in new Tax Dollars and not taking away. There isn't one of them who I met would want to quit this job just so they could live on Welfare in Canada. Would you quit a well paying job to live on Welfare in your country? They are also educated and trained and all speak English to.

All they are looking for is a safe place to live and without fear and where they can raise their family. A place that with hard work they can get ahead in life, and not have the Mafia knocking on there door at night for forced donations. A good education system where they can learn new skills and improve there employment possibilities. A better life for them and there children. Is that asking too much?

They have 2 ways in which they can legally come to Canada. The normal route by applying for landed imigration, which now take severals years to develope, or sponsership. Even though the guys I know all have money saved and can pay their own way in Canada for the 2 years, and don't need a sponser, the government still insists on them having a Sponser.

Someone who will show them around and how to do things, like open a bank account, or how to gp to a hospital, and perhpas even offer them a place to stay when then first arrive. Even though they have the rent money for that and would pay. But it is not easy for them to find a stranger living in Canada who would want to do this or take responcibility of a stranger for 2 years. Like any sponsership, this could be financial responsibility as well, if things go wrong and they can't support themself for some reason.   

I suppose my thinking is related to one paragraph in your post. 

"All they are looking for is a safe place to live and without fear and where they can raise their family. A place that with hard work they can get ahead in life, and not have the Mafia knocking on there door at night for forced donations. A good education system where they can learn new skills and improve there employment possibilities. A better life for them and there children. Is that asking too much?"

Controlled immigration is good.  Mass immigration isn't .  It's problematic on both sides. 

6 hours ago, 55Jay said:

"All they are looking for is a safe place to live and without fear and where they can raise their family. A place that with hard work they can get ahead in life, and not have the Mafia knocking on there door at night for forced donations. A good education system where they can learn new skills and improve there employment possibilities. A better life for them and there children. Is that asking too much?"

Controlled immigration is good.  Mass immigration isn't .  It's problematic on both sides. 

I agree with what you say. You do need to control Immigration. The Government owes it to you and the rest of the people living their for your own safety and security, and financial well being, who they let in. I couldn't agree more.

But the trouble with most Controlled Immigration is that there are several holes in that system that the governments refuses to fix. So the holes get larger and worst as time goes by. When they have to deal with an unexpected crises like in Syria, they just get back logged. Even when paying for your Visa is exptremely high and in which I am sure they make money on.

So one of the largest holes that isn't getting fixed and only gets worst is the waiting period to be allowed to enter Canada as an Immigrant. In some extreme cases the waiting period can be up to 7 years. This is a very long time to wait quietly while bombs are going off at your front door. Hard to imagine for us living in a place where you are afraid to go to bed in your own house, or sending your kids off to school, but many of these people have to live with that every day.

Of course some will think that they can apply under Refugee Status and get into Canada right away. This way of thinking is totally wrong as it does not work this way at all. Canada is a very difficult country to Immigrate to. Partly because it is a very desirable country for Immigrants, so the list is long. Partly also because of Controlled Immigration, and allowing so many people in at one time, and in some case after many years of waiting.

For a Syrina Refugee to get into Canada sooner, they need a Sponsor. Which is someone living their who is willing to help them out to get them started and on there own 2 feet, for 2 years. This could also mean Financial Assistance to this person in time of need. Okay if you have Family already living in Canada who can help you out, but how many of them have this? How many relatives do you have living in Syria? So even though Churches in Canada help sponcor this, not many people n church will help a stranger.

Most of these guys I met recently were froced to flee Syria with there families. They are the lucky ones as they had money saved in which they could do this. One I know personally can't even go back to Syria even if he wanted to. He was Draftered into the Army and he refused to go and fight to kill his friends and relatives.

Many went to Turkey and some to Lebanon. But they are not welcomed their either. There stay there is dependent from month to month. One guy I met got to stay longer because he was able to bribe a government official there with $5,000 USD, and thus also allowed to bring his younger brother to stay with him. But all of them still have Family back in Syria.

These guys I know are not looking for a hand out. You won't see any of them on the street begging you for money. But what you might see is a Chemical Engineer washing dishes, if this is the only job he can find at that time. The truth is, American was built by people fleeing there own country in in search of a better life. We have a system in place, but as I said there are many holes in it. It just doesn't work for people like this.

Do we need to do more? As decent human beings I believe we do.  

7 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Just one more question.

All these guys I know have good jobs and technical skills and enough money saved to support themselves for a few years, even without a job. Most of them are University Educated and in there mid 30's and all of them speak English. None of them have a Criminal Records or are wanted on some Terroist List. All of this can easily be proved.

So my question is, what more is needed to know from Immigration to allow them to live in Canada? Especially when we have laws in place that if they break the rules they can be deported?

11 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Just one more question.

All these guys I know have good jobs and technical skills and enough money saved to support themselves for a few years, even without a job. Most of them are University Educated and in there mid 30's and all of them speak English. None of them have a Criminal Records or are wanted on some Terroist List. All of this can easily be proved.

So my question is, what more is needed to know from Immigration to allow them to live in Canada? Especially when we have laws in place that if they break the rules they can be deported?

Good posts, thanks.  The distinction, which you did acknowledge, is mass immigration (refugees) and all the undesirable byproducts of that ~vs~ regular (controlled) immigration.

I am a proponent of safety zones/no fly zones in-country or nearby, with full, international humanitarian support.  Not sending 100's of thousands of refugees into western countries on the other side of the planet based on deals made by politicians.  Again, it's really easy for them to be generous with other peoples' money, and the politicians don't have to live in areas inundated by immigrants. 

No doubt there are educated, good folks in Syria. I knew/worked with a Syrian/American, Mike, good dude, nice family, like them a lot.  He was wise enough to recognize and resist the urge to help everyone everywhere, in particular by shipping them off to Country X.  And of course, it's not just about Syrians.  There are a lot of people jumping on the refugee band wagon, because it is a viable path of least resistance.   It's like a free or compassionate offer, you get all kinds showing up, and there are always those looking to take the piss.  Eventually they ruin it for others.

Accordingly, several countries have begun limiting their intake and adjusting policy because they realize it's not sustainable, and this niggling reality they are being taken advantage of.

Asylum seeking refugees from the US to Canada?  They "don't feel safe" in the US?  Uh huh, that's taking the piss, and when I hear nonsense like that, I switch off.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:46 AM, GOLDBUGGY said:

Your post is long, but I think what you are saying is that if one's own country is stuffed up, just run away to somewhere else that didn't actually ask you to come and stay, and expect to find a better life there. 

Perhaps they should have stayed and sorted their own country out.

In my mind I have these images of Rohynga refugees floating dead in the water, countless images of children and people sufferring in war-torn central African countries living in abject poverty and then...I see images of cleancut, well fed, smartly dressed people crossing the border from US to Canada (what happened to the whole idea of first point of refuge etc etc. anyway) with airline tags still on their suitcases and I'm like...:huh::blink: :blink:

14 minutes ago, SABloke said:

African countries living in abject poverty

Is that why you see them on Television asking for assistance from aid agencies with seven kids hanging off them ....  it happens all the time, they cannot afford one child however they choose to have seven  ...  crazy   :shock1:

If there is poverty there then the government needs to address it not other countries.

Is that why you see them on Television asking for assistance from aid agencies with seven kids hanging off them ....  it happens all the time, they cannot afford one child however they choose to have seven  ...  crazy   :shock1:

If there is poverty there then the government needs to address it not other countries.

Look above your head and behind you - you'll find my point there ;)

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

actually, when birth control is made available to women in poor natons, they choose to have less children. Good thing Trump is cutting family planning aid for poor nations.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Your post is long, but I think what you are saying is that if one's own country is stuffed up, just run away to somewhere else that didn't actually ask you to come and stay, and expect to find a better life there. 

Perhaps they should have stayed and sorted their own country out.

I am surprised to hear this coming from you. You are usually the free spirited one.

Can I not also say the same thing about all of us who left there own country and came to Thailand to live? In search of a better life here? But the big difference between us and them is that we have a choice. They don't!

When I was going through a Divorce so many years ago and looking for a place I could get away from it all and hide for awhile, I came to Thailand on a Visa Exempt, as I was working Overseas then on a 28 Day Rotation. I did this for about 2 years with no problems at all and until I decided to stay and got a yearly extension.

But at least I had this option. They don't! Why? Because there Passport says they are Syrian and thus don't have a Visa Exempt.

What still amazes me is how many people still think that the minute you let somebody like this come and live in your country they right away somehow drain the system of Welfare and Medicare as they are too lazy or uneducated to work for a living. I truly wonder where all this comes from. Why not think in terms that they will contribute to the economy, as many, if not all of them, would? 

I recall a long tome ago when the Iron Curtain fell and the Belin Wall came down, and when West Germany accepted East Germany to form one country again. East and West were about as different as day and night, except for the language, and many predicted that the German Ecoomy would fall and the standard of living in Germany would drop.

So did that happen? No! Germany today is still the most powerful country in Europe in both economic terms and productivity. By taking in East Germany they only became bigger and stronger.

Syria has a Dictator who refuses to leave! He has turned his army against his own people. He is sleeping with Russia as he has promised them a pipeline to Europe through his country if they help him stay. How do you expect the average citizen in Syria to get rid of this guy in a peaceful manner? How did they do that in Iraq? How did they do that in Libya? Remembering all those Libyan Refugees crossing the Med Sea by boat to excape the fighting their.

Syria is of interest to the big players because of its geological location. The Gate Way to the Pipelines that would lead to the big users in Europe. From both Russia to the North and the Arab Countries in the South. They have also made a huge Oil & Gas Discovery off of the Coast of Syria. So Syria remains a Chess Pawn in a Big Game of Chess.   

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

actually, when birth control is made available to women in poor natons, they choose to have less children. Good thing Trump is cutting family planning aid for poor nations.

Why is it America's responsibility to pay for women in other countries to have birth control?

Who said it was America's responsibility to hand over any money to other countries for ................?

Trump has said he is the president of the USA, not the world- good on him for that.

If individuals want to provide contraception to poor women in other countries there is nothing stopping them doing so. Methinks it is a case of expecting everyone else to pay.

2 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I am surprised to hear this coming from you. You are usually the free spirited one.

Can I not also say the same thing about all of us who left there own country and came to Thailand to live? In search of a better life here? But the big difference between us and them is that we have a choice. They don't!

When I was going through a Divorce so many years ago and looking for a place I could get away from it all and hide for awhile, I came to Thailand on a Visa Exempt, as I was working Overseas then on a 28 Day Rotation. I did this for about 2 years with no problems at all and until I decided to stay and got a yearly extension.

But at least I had this option. They don't! Why? Because there Passport says they are Syrian and thus don't have a Visa Exempt.

What still amazes me is how many people still think that the minute you let somebody like this come and live in your country they right away somehow drain the system of Welfare and Medicare as they are too lazy or uneducated to work for a living. I truly wonder where all this comes from. Why not think in terms that they will contribute to the economy, as many, if not all of them, would? 

I recall a long tome ago when the Iron Curtain fell and the Belin Wall came down, and when West Germany accepted East Germany to form one country again. East and West were about as different as day and night, except for the language, and many predicted that the German Ecoomy would fall and the standard of living in Germany would drop.

So did that happen? No! Germany today is still the most powerful country in Europe in both economic terms and productivity. By taking in East Germany they only became bigger and stronger.

Syria has a Dictator who refuses to leave! He has turned his army against his own people. He is sleeping with Russia as he has promised them a pipeline to Europe through his country if they help him stay. How do you expect the average citizen in Syria to get rid of this guy in a peaceful manner? How did they do that in Iraq? How did they do that in Libya? Remembering all those Libyan Refugees crossing the Med Sea by boat to excape the fighting their.

Syria is of interest to the big players because of its geological location. The Gate Way to the Pipelines that would lead to the big users in Europe. From both Russia to the North and the Arab Countries in the South. They have also made a huge Oil & Gas Discovery off of the Coast of Syria. So Syria remains a Chess Pawn in a Big Game of Chess.   

Hmmm. There are many TVF posters that would disagree with you on that. Even I think I'm a bit of a whinger.

However, I do like to live and let live, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, and is legal. I might not agree with 99% of the laws under which I live,  but I accept that I have to abide by them, or face the consequences.

Anyway, thanks for the pleasant opinion :smile:

Can I not also say the same thing about all of us who left there own country and came to Thailand to live?

No! In most if not all cases of western expats coming to live in Thailand, we aren't running away from a disaster economy in our own country, and refugees that you are talking about are the educated ones that are needed to revive their country after the war is over. My going to live in LOS makes zero difference to my country.

Also, I went through the legal channels to live in LOS, while illegal is illegal is illegal, no matter the excuse used to justify it. Plus, most of us bring money from our own country to house and feed ourselves. We don't just arrive on a plane and expect such to be provided.

There is a very good reason for that.