Driver killed, 10 injured as van crashes into truck in Bangkok

webfact

Driver killed, 10 injured as van crashes into truck in Bangkok
By The Nation

65b232a11df6de62dc69c36fe35225e2.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A Surin-Bangkok passenger van crashed into the rear of a stranded truck on a Bangkok road early on Thursday.

Police said the accident happened at 3am near a U-turn on the inbound Ramkhamhaeng Road in front of Saphan Sung district.

Police said the van driver, Boonpha Somkaew, 52, was killed behind the wheel.

Ten passengers in the van were injured. Four of them were rushed to Nopparat Ratchatani Hospital and six others to Karunvej Hospital.

The truck driver, Tom Pilapong 35, said he was transporting electric goods to Nakhon Ratchasima and Buri Ram but his truck broke down at the spot about 20 metres before it reached the U-turn.

He said he had to park the truck in the far-right lane of the five-lane road. He said he had turned on the emergency lights and placed traffic cones to warn other motorists but the van was coming at a high speed and crashed into the rear.

Police said the van had left Surin at 8pm on Wednesday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312790

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-20

Unfortunate spot to break down for sure, but if he is telling the truth, he did the right thing with hazard lights and cones. Some drivers here are just crazy whether their vehicle is restricted to 90kmh or not. I wish the passengers a speedy recovery and assume their well-being might well be down to the fact they were probably wearing seat belts.

Speed Kills !   The Guy had been driving for seven hours, must have been tired but was still driving at 'high speed' when he hit the truck.   Sober, drunk, tired, on the phone, picking their nose....they just can't get their foot off the throttle for any reason and that's what causes many of these Minibus accidents.

Unfortunate spot to break down for sure, but if he is telling the truth, he did the right thing with hazard lights and cones. Some drivers here are just crazy whether their vehicle is restricted to 90kmh or not. I wish the passengers a speedy recovery and assume their well-being might well be down to the fact they were probably wearing seat belts.

I'm pretty sure they are all very seriously injured. Hit a brick wall at 120kph even with seat belt is going to cause major internal and external damage.

Ok i have a guess here. Driver was tired Driver was drunk  Driver was speeding  Brakes  failed ( Dont you just love that one good old brakes failed) It goes on and on Really does anybody believe these Vans have past a roadworthy?

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

And speed limiters. And yes checkpoints where they actually do something.

Sometimes there are checkpoints where they do something, the times when they collect tea money.

Edited by possum1931

No matter what you do them suicide van cowboys  They don't give a Flying Hoot they will claim the road they cut you off they do not care,Glad to see there is some Karma. I feel sorry for the passengers to have to put  up with the suicide cowboys as they have no means to any other transport.I blame the Government for the carnage around the country,They just do not have the balls to stop them.Get them book them put them off the road forever.

6 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Hazard lights? Maybe.   

Cones? :cheesy:

I've notice many trucks with a few cones in their carry bins or tied behind the cab. Not all heavy transport drivers are useless. 

33 minutes ago, cunningstunt said:

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/products/view/sl177240104/wizard:speed-limiter

12500 baht just to buy one? Could be a bit cheaper from China but it it would stop working a week after warranty expires

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN

in Thailand, stop working same day, sorry broken no fix. 

Edited by Artisi

The story of the truck driver about the "Hazard" lights might be true.
But my experience with most of these trucks is that they are invisible, even with lights "On", until you are 10 meters near of them.
Would be good to check the lights of the truck.

Not sure what actually happened. But, I have been in some of these vans where I was scared to death. Even the Thai's were scared. I avoid when possible.