Too many exemptions visa on my passport...

Hi everyone, 

Me and my bf arrived in Thailand on October 2016, had a tourist visa on our passports (French passports) that allowed us to stay 2 months. We decided to stay longer, went to the immigration office to get 30 more days. 

At the end of these 3 months : got out of the country and flight back to Bangkok and got an exemption. 

From January until today we've been staying in Thailand on exemptions and extensions at immigration. 
So it's been almost 8 months. 

Last time we arrived in DMK (April 2017) the IO informed me that her computer was showing an alert, questioned me, asked me for my flight-back ticket, which I had by chance... 
My boyfriend didn't get any trouble, the IO just stamped and didn't mention any "alert"

So... 
We'd like to stay longer but I know it's going to get really suspicious to the IO and I don't want to be denied at the airport... 
So I was wondering if we go to Vientiane and make a real tourist visa (60 days) like we did the first time, would it be less suspicious to the IO? Or would it still be the same? Would they still be asking for documents? Or flight back tickets? 

And last thing: I was wondering if the Thai ambassy in Vientiane would even give us that tourist visa seeing all these stamps on our passports...

Thank you for your help :) 
Edited by Darafarangset

5 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

It won't help getting a visa from the embassy in Laos. They will still be suspicious. You are flagged now.

It seems like you are living in Los. the immigration police started to crack down on visa runners. Los doesn't benefit from this kind of "tourists", claim the authorities

Thank you for your answer. 

I'm sorry you said in from "Los"? What is it? I'm from France ;)

12 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

It won't help getting a visa from the embassy in Laos. They will still be suspicious. You are flagged now.

It seems like you are living in Los. the immigration police started to crack down on visa runners. Los doesn't benefit from this kind of "tourists", claim the authorities

1 minute ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Los stands for land of smiles, which is what thailand is called

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oh okay sorry didn't know that word :) 

so what is your best advice? Try again with an exemption or just leave and come back next year? 

48 minutes ago, Darafarangset said:

So I was wondering if we go to Vientiane and make a real tourist visa (60 days) like we did the first time, would it be less suspicious to the IO? Or would it still be the same? Would they still be asking for documents? Or flight back tickets? 

Getting a visa will definitely help and increase the chance of you not being denied entry.

Make sure you have at least 20K baht in cash (each) when you enter. If possible have onward flight bookings and or hotel bookings. It's unlikely they will be asked for, but will help if they start looking for reasons to deny entry.

53 minutes ago, Darafarangset said:

And last thing: I was wondering if the Thai ambassy in Vientiane would even give us that tourist visa seeing all these stamps on our passports...

Yes they should give you a visa. They won't be bothered about the previous visa exempt entries/extensions. 

I am quite confident that you would get a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane, and be able to reenter Thailand without difficulty at this point. You have not been in the country long enough for them to single you as a long stayer on tourist entries. However, if you are considering staying another six months or year or longer, you should be investigating alternatives to tourist visas.

YOU ARE BEING SUSPECTED OF WORING IN Thailand.

You need to show your income is in fact from outside Thailand and not earned in Thailand by working here, without a work permit.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a comment

hi darafarangset,

using tourist visas and visa exempt entries to stay in thailand for long periods is a sensitive topic here on thaivisa.com.  some claim it is an abuse of the system.  i've spent 8 to 9 months a year here for the last 10 yrs using this method.  the rules change every few years and you have to adjust.  immigration doesn't like visa exempt entries, i got stopped about 5 years ago and was told to use more tourist visas and fewer visa exempt entries.  have not been stopped again.  as others have noted, you should be fine getting a tourist visa in laos.  but plan to carry 20,000thb (per person) and proof of a flight out of thailand each time you enter the country (unless you've gone back to france for a few months and then return).

Sorry to hijack the topic: So me coming in exempt (30+30+7+2 days) last November, coming back after 1 month with a TR visa (60+30 days) I should be okay to just do another border run to gain another 30+30? Can't really be bothered to get another TR visa as I only need another 1 month, 2 maximum.

Edited by wump

4 minutes ago, wump said:

Sorry to hijack the topic: So me coming in exempt (30+30+7+2 days) last November, coming back after 1 month with a TR visa (60+30 days) I should be okay to just do another border run to gain another 30+30? Can't really be bothered to get another TR visa as I only need another 1 month, 2 maximum.

Yes you could.

• Like 1

Darafarangset,

You will almost certainly be fine if you go to Vientiane and get a visa. There seem to be a lot of posts replying to you that are not based on facts. I have a 48-page passport filled with a variety of visas for Thailand and a number of visa-exempt entries, clearly showing that I've been here for 7 years without being out of the country for more than two weeks and I obtained a tourist visa in Vientiane last September with no problems at all.

• Like 1

I too have 48-page passport completely covered in blue and green stickers. I never had trouble even though they always take their time to examine my passport at the border and eventually do stamp me, but they don't exactly smile at that :ph34r:. I guess the key is to not spent more than 9 months a year over here if not on a proper visa?

Edited by wump

8 hours ago, elviajero said:

Getting a visa will definitely help and increase the chance of you not being denied entry.

Make sure you have at least 20K baht in cash (each) when you enter. If possible have onward flight bookings and or hotel bookings. It's unlikely they will be asked for, but will help if they start looking for reasons to deny entry.

Yes they should give you a visa. They won't be bothered about the previous visa exempt entries/extensions. 

Thank you for tour answer, I'll make sure I have that cash amount when we come back + flight ticket :) 

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am quite confident that you would get a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane, and be able to reenter Thailand without difficulty at this point. You have not been in the country long enough for them to single you as a long stayer on tourist entries. However, if you are considering staying another six months or year or longer, you should be investigating alternatives to tourist visas.

Thank you BritTim, 

I think our next visa will be the last for this year :) better to minimise the risks and "start over" next year to stay low key

4 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

YOU ARE BEING SUSPECTED OF WORING IN Thailand.

You need to show your income is in fact from outside Thailand and not earned in Thailand by working here, without a work permit.

Can I show like a screenshot of my bank statement? Or should I have something printed? This might look like a stupid question but they could tell me "we don't accept screenshots" or whatever so I don't get in the country...

3 hours ago, bangkokbanjo said:

I know several people here who are getting ed visas at language schools. Its worked very well for them. They would need to initially get in, but once here it is easily obtained.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank BangkokBanjo :) 

yes, our plan for next year is to come as tourist first then find a school asap to make an ED visa. 

I know they check a lot these "students" but as we look like 20 yo (though we're on our 26) and really want to learn Thai, I guess it's a good alternative :) 

2 hours ago, buick said:

hi darafarangset,

using tourist visas and visa exempt entries to stay in thailand for long periods is a sensitive topic here on thaivisa.com.  some claim it is an abuse of the system.  i've spent 8 to 9 months a year here for the last 10 yrs using this method.  the rules change every few years and you have to adjust.  immigration doesn't like visa exempt entries, i got stopped about 5 years ago and was told to use more tourist visas and fewer visa exempt entries.  have not been stopped again.  as others have noted, you should be fine getting a tourist visa in laos.  but plan to carry 20,000thb (per person) and proof of a flight out of thailand each time you enter the country (unless you've gone back to france for a few months and then return).

Hi Buick, thank you for searching your experience with me and the informations :) 

this new tourist visa will probably be the last for this year, as I know that I'm already flagged it's better to go home and come back later

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Wrong info.

The flag you wrote about is an alert that only comes up for to many visa exempt entries. Entering on a tourist visa will not bring it up.

The immigration officers on entry are telling people with to many visa exempt entries to get a visa for their next entry.

Hi Ubonjoe, 

do you know if that "alert" somehow disappear?

I mean, if I go back to France and only come back in Thailand in 6/7 months, is that period enough to turn it off? Or wouldn't change anything flagged once, flagged forever?